Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

new small stuff 5/23

Pages: 1 30 replies

P
pdrake posted on Mon, May 8, 2006 7:23 PM

here's some new little guys i made this week. the one on the left hasn't been buffed out yet.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2006-05-23 18:07 ]

T

Those are cool dudes! I like the 2nd from the left, and the big one, and, well, hell! They all look really good. Hook Knife? Bas Wood? What's the tools and wood?

P
pdrake posted on Mon, May 8, 2006 8:11 PM

thanks, the big (4") moai is basswood. the others are madagascar mahogany.

Cool...it's far different working small, eh? Give one's eyes a workout.

Looks good. Keep 'em coming.

P
pdrake posted on Tue, May 9, 2006 8:43 AM

yes, my eyes hurt. i need to get a magnifier. i don't think i have enough light, either.

these are all done with a hook knife and some small chisels. they're sanded a little with a diamond tip on the dremel and sanding sticks, then a bees wax finish.

thanks for looking.

Very cool ,I admire you guys working the small stuff. I tried and almost lost a pinky finger.

P

cherry moai 3" tall. should make a nice necklace.

P

almost done. just some polishing left.

B

Very Very nice small stuff PDrake.What toolz are you using on these? Just plain Cool and I Love that Cherry Wood!

P

thanks ben. i'm using a #20 warren blade mostly. then a dremel with a fine mandrel and sandpaper. some sanding in the tight spots with a small diamond tip.

I'm a newbie at carving, but I've been doing little guys and selling them at a sunset festival at the beach.
[ Edited by: capt.doug 2006-05-31 12:33 ]

[ Edited by: capt.doug 2006-06-03 14:48 ]

P

well, can i call it done. i'm afraid to touch it now. i could really mess it up quick.

K
kirby posted on Wed, Jun 7, 2006 10:20 PM

I say push yourself. If you mess it up its just a lil more experiance youve earned.If it turne out the way you wanted then your that much more ahead of the game,,,

P

heh, i did a little more sanding. i'm afraid of the wood chipping. it's walnut, but it's small.

T

Hey pDrake! This guys lookin' pretty good! I'm with Kirby on this one - keep at it! I love walnut - it should hold up pretty good...

Keep going!! No screwing up - its all learning experience. Go deeper, more refined...

P

he's coming along.

slowly.

i hope to refine it a bit and get better at ears. even in my 3d computer work ears are the hardest part. we should just have holes like snakes.

sorry for the blurry pic. too many mai tais.

P

moko is very hard.

B

Yes the Moko is Very Hard in hard wood. You neednto try to keep it VERY Shallow and DON'T go too Deep (Just tthe opposite of what we are Always sayin) that way the grain won't ijnfluence it too much..Lookin Good though just stick with it.

P

thanks,

i bought a 1mm flexcut, but i'm not up to using it on this. i wish they had a tool that carved when you pulled it. i have a hard time controlling while i push.

P

almost done. learned a lot on this little guy. first off, maybe too little.

I love it i love it i love it keep up the good work.

P

thanks, marcus.

here he is all buffed out. finished.

wow he's great! nice job pd!

awesome work now get back to it.

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2006-06-15 23:43 ]

P

here's another little guy i was picking on while i rested my eyes.

He's also great pd!
I can't believe how far you've come with your carving, you out do yourself every time!
Thanks for posting the great pictures, I also really like the colour of stain you use.

awesome pieces, pdrake! the maori is beautiful. pops is gonna love it!

P

thanks TW. no stain, though. just bee's wax. it brings out the natural color of these beautiful woods.

(hehehehee)

finally catching up on some recent posts...nice work PDrake....how do you guys do all this
teeeeny stuff and keep all your fingers....I was the first one to draw blood at Coontiki and all
that small stuff scares me....it it ain't 8 feet tall...I'm staying away.

Pages: 1 30 replies