Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sam's Seafood Last Hurrah Crab Crawl 5/22

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

Sam's Seafood is closing its doors on June 4th. Let's get all TCers together for a Sam's Seafood Last Hurrah Crab Crawl on Monday, May 22nd. Meet in the bar at 6:30. I have made a Group Reservation. If you can attend please PM me and I will add you to the reservation. ~ WooHooWahine

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-15 17:25 ]

TB

This has been a crapy Monday to read about the closing, we were just there last week with Dogbytes. Utopiandreem & I will be there!

TBird.

Im IN>

TM

Why are they doing this? Does anyone know?? Is it because every time I have ever been there, the place was less then full?

Can't these kind's of places be made historic and saved??

A
Al-ii posted on Mon, May 15, 2006 4:26 PM

in
Mahalo
Al

With bells on...

C

In, even if it's a school night!

I'm waaay in, but I was thinkging we should rent out the back room and actually have a big shindig, and a band or 2. I think that the Smokin' Menahunes and my frineds band the Glasgow Tiki Shakers would be perfect for the event. whadd'yal think?

A older fiend of mine had his 60th B-day party there with 4 bands, and it was no problem. I think they charged 200 or 300 for the room, but mabye they will cut us a deal since they are closing, Doesn't hurt to ask.

Jeff(bigtikidude)
who's in for tonight? on a side question?

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-05-15 17:02 ]

some of us have to travel a fair distance to get home.

If we make it a bigger shindig then maybe we could get it on a friday night.

On 2006-05-15 17:01, bigtikidude wrote:
, but I was thinkging we should rent out the back room and actually have a big shindig, and a band or 2. I think that the Smokin' Menahunes and my frineds band the Glasgow Tiki Shakers would be perfect for the event. whadd'yal think?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

With only 1 week to plan this there is not enough time to plan an event with music and entertainment.

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-15 17:51 ]

T

I'm very much a newby to TC, but Sam's is a special place for me too (Seal Beach Local since 1962)...I would love to come down and meet some of the TC'ers on the 22nd if no one has any objections.

Are you sure, I already got word from my friend that he'd like to play.
It's not like a big time concert, just a little 3 piece band.
we could make it happen if we really wanted too.
Maybe Sat the 27th . or Sat. the 3rd. I would really like to do something more than just get together and eat.

I think we should really pull up our boot straps and make somehting cool happen.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Monday Night for Crabs is the Tradition of Sam's :) If you want to plan another event go for it!

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-15 17:33 ]

Pardon my french but this f*cking sucks... I'm IN on the 22nd for sure.

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop 2006-05-15 17:50 ]

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-16 18:19 ]

P

It's going to take some juggling, but I am in for the 22nd as well.

I'll be there.

Ya, this really is bad news.
I can make it on the 29th (too short of notice for a traveler)

This is f-ing ridiculous!! Why in the world are they closing?! That place is a landmark.
This is the last place that I would expect to be closing forever.

M

I'm In...

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-17 20:40 ]

Hodaddy, party of two please.

M

I forget thet I have to be Laney's voice as well...
Put me down for 4.

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-19 15:38 ]

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-19 13:06 ]

On 2006-05-18 07:42, WooHooWahine wrote:
DON'T FORGET: If you are planning on attending and your name is not on the list please PM me by Friday, May 19th :)

Yeah....They need to know how big a seating area to set aside for all of us to get crabs one last time!

THIRTY SIX PEOPLE SO FAR (5/17)!!!!

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-05-18 15:02 ]

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-05-19 10:57 ]

C
Cammo posted on Thu, May 18, 2006 9:52 PM

If anybody wants a ride from San Diego I'm leaving early to be there at 6:30 for Crabs on the 22nd. I'll be coming back way before closing, probably leaving by 9:00.

This whole Sams thing sucks. Does anybody know about the basement?

Cammo

Add the Velours to the list!

Coincidentally it looks like I am going to be in Huntington Beach for work all that day! I am done there at 5 so no point in going back home. It looks like I'll be at Sam's early. I may already be drunk by the time the rest of you show up.

Can't make it on time for the crabs, but will do my best to make it later in the evening for a drink.

A

I hope to see you Frank.
Mahalo,
Al

On 2006-05-18 23:11, PiPhiRho wrote:
Coincidentally it looks like I am going to be in Huntington Beach for work all that day! I am done there at 5 so no point in going back home. It looks like I'll be at Sam's early. I may already be drunk by the time the rest of you show up.

We can't have you drinkin' alone! I'll try to get there early too!

DZ

I can't make any guarantees, but add The Good Doctor and Pandora to the list, just in case!

DON'T FORGET: If you are planning on attending and your name is not on the list please PM me by Friday, May 19th

I am there!

:tiki:

Go ahead and add Tikibelle to my count.

Thanks!

Sabu

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-21 20:04 ]

Last night WooHoo and I went to Sam's to meet Sabu for a drink...Three hours later we were still there enjoying the company of Bosko and his family, then Stentiki, his lovely wife and their two fun friends and other TCers. Can't wait to get crabs one last time!!! Tommy is looking forward to our little gathering...

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-05-20 08:32 ]

S

What a nice surprise running into Sabu, Soccer and Woohoo last night. It appears we all had the same idea - enjoy Sam's as much as we can while it lasts.

Tina and I were pretty melancholy last night as we said goodnight to Tommy and we walked out to the dark empty parking lot. We thought of all those memories in the Hidden Village that Sam's played host to over the years - weddings, anniversaries, birthdays and other family events.

All those family memories.

The place is a true treasure and it just doesn't seem fair that it would close down after so many years.

Well, at least we send the place out in a blaze of tiki torches.

Please reserve 2 spots for us for the "Sam's Last Supper." :wink:

Aloha,

Arty

[ Edited by: stentiki 2006-05-20 09:01 ]

T

The Mrs. and I will be showing up Monday night! We might not make it right on time, but we'll be there as soon as we can! WooHoo, add us to the list!

C

Take us off the list for tomorrow night unless you all want pink-eye!

Guess we'll never get to get crabs with you all! Sniff! Not meant to be!

We'll see you on Saturday!

C-yas

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-22 16:26 ]

ARRRRRR!!!!!!!!

While all of Sam's artifacts are still in one place, while it's employees can be reached (and if its owner can be reached), it might be a good idea (and fun!) for someone to seek out the the most knowledgeable people there and take a little walk around while asking questions.

Who started the business and did they have connections to other restaurants?

Who owned it at the time the tiki decor was brought in? Did they own other restaurants and were they tiki?

Where did the tikis come from?

...one source or several?

...made to order or from a catalog?

Is the name of the carver(s) known? Some look like the work of Milan Guanko, others look Guanko-esque but less complex than many of the ones at Tucson's Kon Tiki.

Why does one of them have what looks like a neck tie painted on?

And what about the other decor...any good anecdotes behind particular pieces?

I was told on the phone that there had been a fire in the early 60's (1960?) and that the reconstruction resulted in the current building. Is that when tikification occurred? The gentleman I spoke with also told me it had tikis since its founding, but that's not likely.

Are there any photos in the office of the place in
earlier days that can be copied now, while they are easy to get to?

Think like the place is already gone, its people lost to the vast LA employment pool and its artifacts displaced and/or scattered. Here's your chance to earn the gratitude of future urban archaeologists.

I tried lots of these questions on the phone when I was researching to write text to go with photos I took last year for a blog entry - I got practically nowhere. Good luck, have fun and remind many crustaceans of the food chain.

I will be video taping tonight and have a cordless mic that we can pin on whomever is knowledgable enough to answer questions.

I would like to capture the Sams walkthrough/tour in all of its detail.

What time? The more light the better.

Before you interrogate the employees, please remember that these people are losing their jobs. We are all fascinated with the history of these tiki establishments, and we care about the ultimate fate of artifacts inside. The soon-to-be-unemployed people may be more worried about their next paycheck.

Pages: 1 2 68 replies