Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Von Dutch's Personal Pinstriping Box sells 40 $270,000

Pages: 1 5 replies

From Mr. Jalopy's Junktown:

Artifact: Von Dutch Personal Pinstriping Box

Luckily, the ghost of Von Dutch already suffered the gross indignity of his name being licensed to sell overpriced trucker hats. An injustice that great assures Von Dutch will be not coming back from the dead to rattle around Beverly Hills mansions looking to reclaim his hammers or pick-up truck tailgate.

"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed and sold to the people you hate." Hooptyrides

$65 Von Dutch trucker hats sold at Bloomingdales are an abomination. Von Dutch's pinstriping box selling for $270,000 makes a sort of sick sense. Sure, it is insulting at some level that anything less than a 3 bedroom house should sell for that much money, but this box is key in the history of hot rodding. Not the dry lakes and khaki's hot rodding of the 40's, but the acid and Coors drenched metalflake 60's.

To the horror of the Smithsonian, I will paraphrase what they do, what they preserve and what story they tell. A social history of the United States as told through remarkable and unremarkable objects which convey the unique experience of being American. Rather than just being Edward R Murrow's lunch pail or Picasso's beret, this paint box is so much more interesting as it is remarkable and unremarkable. It is a beautifully executed piece of artwork and still serves the proletariat duty of being a toolbox. The pinstriping box tells much more than Navarro's toolbox. It tells a bigger story. 2700 times bigger? Maybe.

Money is ambivalent and agnostic. Lucky for me, money does not care about tact, class or intent, otherwise, I would have none. Hopefully, the pinstripe toolbox was purchased by the Smithsonian or the Peterson, but I wouldn't blame a rich bastard for buying it and keeping it locked in a closet as the only thing separating me and that rich bastard is the rich.

It was exhilarating to see.

Von Dutch Personal Pinstriping Toolbox
RM Auctions
May 13, 2006
Sold - $270,000
Posted by Mister Jalopy @ 10:09 PM

... time to make some knockoffs...

... faux von dutch striping kits...

... $270.00/ea seems reasonable...

... old stripers, one strokes & one shot on sale at mclogan's...

L

you don't think von dutch is being knocked off now?!

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 16, 2006 7:54 PM

On 2006-05-16 19:47, lanikai wrote:

A little...
:) :)

On 2006-05-16 19:47, lanikai wrote:

... finding these at nordstrom's, abercrombie, target and sprawlmart are ye?...

On 2006-05-16 19:22, alohabros wrote:
... $270.00/ea seems reasonable...

That's $270 Thousand each. That'd actually make it worth it to make 5 knockoffs, break into the house of the geek who bought it & steal the original, then sell 6 copies for $100K/ea to rich geeks who want to hide it in their closet anyway.

Pages: 1 5 replies