Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Articles in media about tiki

Pages: 1 3 replies

D

I am trying to compile a collection of news and magazine articles on the tiki culture. Are there any links or does anyone have scans of print articles they could upload?

Thanks ChrisTiki! I had a copy of the recent LA Times article a couple of months back, but my wife accidentally threw it out...ARGGHHH!

Here's an article called "FROM TIKI TO PREMIUM: RUM KEEPS GROWING" from the industry-centric magazine "Beverage Media"

It seems to take a bit of a stand-offish approach to tiki; but it's nice to see that even industry types are taking notice.

"*There are many contributors to rum’s surging popularity today: the growth of Latin culture and population, the increasing number of flavored rums and the country’s love affair with the Mojito are only three. But don’t forget the effect of Tiki.

"Based on the celebrated work of two restaurant pioneers of the 1930s (Donn “the Beachcomber” Beach and “Trader Vic” Bergeron), the South Pacific-themed fad has made its way back as a component in many bars today. Best known for wacky Polynesian décor, bamboo fixtures, island bric-a-brac and gaudy serving vessels like volcano bowls, it’s the drinks made with three, four or more rums that have put Tiki back on the map.

"And while many of the rum-focused operations are only tangentially Tiki, they have discovered the wisdom of stocking 50 or more rums at a time, and of developing customer loyalty through education about its history and about regional and stylistic differences in production.*"

Continue reading the full article on the magazine's website

Pages: 1 3 replies