Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The smoking-est Menehune of them all: Shirley Orlando

Pages: 1 5 replies

Another great article about the former Smokin menehune Shirley orlando in today's (5-18-06) local section of the Orange County Register. This article is about Shirley's Uke for Troops program!

Here's the article from the OC Register website:

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/atoz/article_1146431.php

Thursday, May 18, 2006
Her mission: Let troops play

By TOM BERG
The Orange County Register

MORE THAN 600 SENT: Shirley Orlando calls the ukulele “probably the happiest little instrument on earth.”

HUNTINGTON BEACH – Somewhere in Iraq right now, a U.S. serviceman is likely to be strumming a ukulele - thanks to Shirley Orlando, 58, of Huntington Beach.

In the past year, Orlando has sent more than 600 ukes to 41 military units. What started as a cute idea to send six ukes to a Hawaiian National Guard unit has blossomed into a full-scale operation averaging 50 a month. All volunteer. With ukulele clubs pitching in much of the $15,000 raised.

The program's name: "Ukes For Troops."

Q. Why ukes?

Anita Coyoli came into my store one day and we were talking about the troops. Her daughter was in Afghanistan. I told her when my brother was in the Vietnam War, the only thing that kept him going was playing guitar. I'd send strings and things to him. She said, "There's a Hawaiian unit over there." I said it would be a kick to send them some ukuleles. I had about 70 in my store. She said, "Great idea," and got me the address. I sent six ukes over in April 2005.

Q. But why ukes?

I grew up with music. My entire family, instead of watching TV on Friday and Saturday nights, we played. We were like the Carter family of the West Coast. My father was a professional musician. He played accordion and piano and bass. My mother was a singer. My brother, my three sisters and I all played instruments. A banjo player, this real character, would come around and we'd have these incredible parties at our house in Huntington Beach.

Q. Yes, so why ukes to Iraq?

To borrow a phrase from Disney, I'd have to say it's probably the happiest little instrument on earth. When you have all these tough guys over there carrying around those AK-whatever-you-call-thems, and they go back to their barracks and are plunking on their ukuleles, that's a beautiful thing.

Q. The response?

At first we didn't know - will they play them? But they write back saying everyone gathers in the mailroom on what is a mundane day with this huge box to open, and they're just cracking up and passing out ukes and it turns into laughter and instant happiness. One unit sent us a video of them doing a concert in a hospital, singing surf songs. They're learning to play!

Here's a sidebar thumbnail bio of Shirley:

Shirley Orlando, 58

Profession: Owner of Island Bazaar, a store of all things Hawaiian, in Huntington Beach

Family: One daughter, Agnese, 22

Favorite song: "All the Things You Are," from the musical "Very Warm for May"

Favorite musical: Right now, "Surf City USA," which she wrote in 2001 and which premieres in August at the Huntington Beach Playhouse

Uke groups: Kolohe (all Hawaiian music) meets at 7 p.m. on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at Island Bazaar; Ukulele Jam (standards, from the '20s to Jimmy Buffett) meets there at 6:30 p.m. Thursdays. Both are free and open to adults, any level.

To help: Call (714) 843-9350 or write Ukes for Troops, 16582 Gothard St., Unit R, Huntington Beach, CA 92647

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-05-22 09:25 ]

Such a rad lady...

Shirley is surely the greatest! She certainly deserves all the kudos she's receiving.

-Weird Unc

TM

Shirley, Lucas Vigor is just the name I post under. I am the bass player for the Smokin menehunes.

I love Shirley!! She's got a surf themed musical ("Surf City USA") mentioned above which she wrote the book, music & lyrics for coming up in August at the Huntington Beach Playhouse (for more info, check out http://www.hbplayhouse.com). Crawl anybody?
Holden
ps - if you live in So Cal & wanna learn Uke; Shirley's your best bet.

[ Edited by: smogbreather 2006-06-30 17:21 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies