Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Can this lamp be saved?

Pages: 1 10 replies

This hanging lamp was a flea market find, and it looked like it was hanging outside for a long time. The grass mat was moldy and rotting, the chain was rusted, the wiring was fried, and the tapa cloth was scorched and peeling.

I took it into Oceanic Arts, and the friendly people there advised me to put a light coat of polyurethane on the shells. It really brought out the shine and color of the previously dull seashells. They also sold me some replacement matting for the shade, and a piece of tapa for the bottom. I will get a new lamp kit (replacement wiring, light socket, and chain) from the hardware store.

I'm having trouble removing the old tapa cloth. It's glued to a piece of plastic or fiberglass. The area in the middle came off easily, but around the edge it's really stuck!

Krustiki just told me to try a heat gun or acetone. I'll give that a try.

[ Edited by: ookoo lady 2006-05-19 22:41 ]

I'd replace the entire piece of plexi and reglue the new fabric to the new insert - carefully cut/remove the old plexi/plastic from the lamp and discard - it will also give you better access to replace the fixture/ electric/ chain - the best part of that light is the inspiration, and the globe of shells is the perfect frame to recreate it on. That's the most satisfying flea market find. it challenges your imagination, and your handiwork = the result is truly vintage style polynesian. Lucky , lucky you! I'm jealous.

H

Nice lamp find and a cool resto project

Thanks for this great post Ookoo, a wonderful find and a fun project.

I'm so happy to see items given a new life by a loving new owner. Something like this could so easily end up at a dump, while people like us see such great potential.

Krustiki scraped off the old tapa using a pocket knife:

We glued on a new piece of tapa, and will let it dry overnight:

I'll post more pictures when it's done.

wow.. what a difference.

T

The new tapa print, is even better than the last one. Upgrade.

On 2006-05-25 21:27, ookoo lady wrote:
Krustiki scraped off the old tapa using a pocket knife:

We glued on a new piece of tapa, and will let it dry overnight:

I'll post more pictures when it's done.

Very nice! Where'd you score the Tapa cloth?

Krakatowa

DOH! Oceanic Arts. Beating head against screen

[ Edited by: Krakatowa 2006-05-26 10:06 ]

M

This lamp is getting amazingly beautiful. Excellent work!

M

This lamp is getting amazingly beautiful. Excellent work!

Done!

Pages: 1 10 replies