Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Cointreau-- Triple Sec, Curacao or what?

Pages: 1 14 replies

Here's the defintion I get on the Web:
COINTREAU
A fine, colorless, orange-flavored liqueur made from the dried skins of Curaçao oranges grown on the island of the same name in the Dutch West Indies. The Generic term is Curaçao, and if redistilled clear is called triple sec.

So I can't find anything called "cointreau" at the liquor store. Do I use curaçao, triple sec or none of the above? Of course, I see clear orange curaçao all the time and if they're all the same thing--why do some recipes call for one or t'other?

confused and sober,
Pappy

J
JTD posted on Sat, May 20, 2006 10:38 AM

Pappy,
Cointreau is a brand of orange liqueur. It's a potent 80 proof, as compared to triple sec (30 proof for Bols). The orange curacao I have (also Bols) is 60 proof. Of the three, I think Cointreau has the most intense orange flavor. If I had to substitute for the Cointreau, I'd use the Curacao. Cointreau's also the most expensive, by far.

JTD

From the excellent book (which everyone on TC should own by now) Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails by Ted Haigh (aka Dr. Cocktail):

"...before Prohibition the Cointreau bottle still read Cointreau Triple Sec. The liqueur was not only the first triple sec, it's how the term was coined. After imitators reproduced the signature square bottle and imprinted the words "Triple Sec" in the Cointreau typeface, Cointreau dropped the words from their bottle. The premium liquor has long since transcended the category, but that's how it started out...the first and best triple sec. ... Use generic triple sec only if you are short on cash."

Pappy, Cointreau is actually quite prolific (at least where I live). It sounds like maybe you need to find a better liquor store.

Here's what to look for:

An added benefit to Cointreau versus the others is its clarity, both in looks and in taste. Curacao tends to add color to your drink as it is hard to find in clear. Triple-sec, to me at least, always makes me think of Margarita's and that lost weekend back in college caused by margarita's..... What was I talking about?

Oh, yeah... I would look hard to find Cointreau as it is worth the extra bucks and extra effort.

Thanks. I can't even get real booze around here...

Cointreau is readily available at most places, at least in California. Most supermarkets carry it. It should be used in all made-from-scratch margaritas and some like a whiff of it in Martinis. If you can't get cointreau try Grand Marnier. Grand Marnier is colored and a little thicker and sweeter than cointreau, but closer than curacao or triple sec.

J

Pappy we have Cointreau all over RI. I have some sitting in the bar right now. It makes a Margarita mucho bueno :). Next time you're in the Providence area hit this place to pick some up:
Gasbarro's Wines
361 Atwells Avenue,
Providence, R.I. 02903

They have the best selection I've seen in these parts (that is New England). You'll even find a good selection of rum (Lemon Hart, St. James and more).

[ Edited by: johnman 2006-05-21 12:51 ]

On 2006-05-21 08:44, johnman wrote:
Pappy we have Cointreau all over RI. I have some sitting in the bar right now. It makes a Margarita mucho bueno :). Next time you're in the Providence area hit this place to pick some up:
Gasbarro's Wines
361 Atwells Avenue,
Providence, R.I. 02903

They have the best selection I've seen in these parts (that is New England). You'll even find a good selection of run (Lemon Hart, St. James and more).

Good to know. I'll add it my list of reasons I can't believe I live in this rotten state. thanks, johnman!

R
Rain posted on Thu, Jun 1, 2006 12:35 PM

so after this thread, i picked up a smallish bottle of cointreau. the difference between cointreau and triple-sec (besides about $15) is AMAZING. good stuff, that.

M

FYI:

Cointreau is made from real oranges, unlike many other orange spirits. Its base spirit is an unaged clear french brandy. The son of the founder of Cointreau invented Curacao on the island of the same name. Cointreau is not made from curacao oranges, at least not anymore.

Grand Marnier is made from real oranges as well- it's base spirit is aged french cognac, hence the darker color.

Citronge is a product from the Patron people, and is made from real oranges as well- a good quality and affordable ($14.95 at Trader Joe's) substitute for Cointreau.

Curacao is a whole other story and is in another thread.

Triple Sec is vile artificial filth and should be avoided at all costs. Most of the finer bars in SF have stopped carrying Triple Sec, and you won't find it at Forbidden Island, either. [booze snob] ahem [/booze snob]

On 2006-06-02 20:34, martiki wrote:
FYI:

Cointreau is made from real oranges, unlike many other orange spirits. Its base spirit is an unaged clear french brandy. The son of the founder of Cointreau invented Curacao on the island of the same name. Cointreau is not made from curacao oranges, at least not anymore.

Straight up!

Cointreau is made from orange peels from Europe, Africa, and I think South America. Curaçao is made ONLY from Curaçaon Oranges, which are very small, with a bitter thick peel, and very little (and often inedible) fruit.

Curaçao comes in four colors (Red, Blue, Clear, and Green) and they also make a Rum Raisin Curaçao, and a Chocolate Curaçao that is to DIE FOR!!! I don't know if you can get them all in the United States, but I know they are available in the Netherlands. I pick up as much as I can when I get down to the island.

Love, peace, and chicken grease!

Krakatowa

So how does Cointreau compare flavor wise with a good Curacao, such as the Marie Brizards or the Seniors? Has anyone done a comparison? I've yet to find a good Curacao here in Tucson (only the Bols & Hiram Walker are available) and before special ordering a bottle, I'd like to know if it's really worthwhile, or if I can reasonably "make do" with Cointreau or the Patron Citronage that I've been using. Will I really notice a difference?

Chris

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 18:32 ]

(On second thought, moved message to start new topic)

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2008-09-08 13:59 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies