Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Savage Renewal: Can You Identify This Figure-head?

Pages: 1 6 replies

Aloha Everybody!

I know that it's late in the game for Savage Renewal, but I just came across this one and I gotta post it!

Some fellow dealers at The Red Rooster Antique Mall here in Vegas just brought this in to their space, and it is so awesome! They said that they got it from an older couple that said they moved to San Diego from Hawaii about 20 years ago, and then to Vegas a few years later. The wife supposedly picked this up, but she didn't know where. Could have been Hawaii; could have been San Diego. How one forgets things like that, I'll never know. Anyway, this guy is professionally built out of fiberglass, so it must have been made for somewhere public like a hotel, bar, or restaurant.

Here's the expired listing on eBay that is full of pictures:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=7763921355
It didn't sell online, so they brought it into the shop a few days ago.
I haven't slept since.

So, my fellow Urban Archaeologists, can you figure out where this guy is from?

I'm DYIN' to know!!!!

Mahaloz!

On 2006-05-21 19:44, Tiki Lee's wrote:
Aloha Everybody!

I know that it's late in the game for Savage Renewal, but I just came across this one and I gotta post it!

Some fellow dealers at The Red Rooster Antique Mall here in Vegas just brought this in to their space, and it is so awesome! They said that they got it from an older couple that said they moved to San Diego from Hawaii about 20 years ago, and then to Vegas a few years later. The wife supposedly picked this up, but she didn't know where. Could have been Hawaii; could have been San Diego. How one forgets things like that, I'll never know. Anyway, this guy is professionally built out of fiberglass, so it must have been made for somewhere public like a hotel, bar, or restaurant.

Here's the expired listing on eBay that is full of pictures:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=7763921355
It didn't sell online, so they brought it into the shop a few days ago.
I haven't slept since.

So, my fellow Urban Archaeologists, can you figure out where this guy is from?

I'm DYIN' to know!!!!

Mahaloz!

okay...here's where it's made...there's a place in north hollywood that makes fiberglass fountains..it's also where oceanic arts buys their fiberglass tikis though they won't sell you the one with the tongue hanging out because they have an exlusive to sell it only through o.a....however, you can buy the ku fiberglass tiki all day there...they also manufacture the hawaiian style one you picked up at the rooster..yours in probably from the same company as they have been there for years but if you want more of them, they got em....they're fountains are awesome and they make fiberglass animals too..i have a brochure and catalog with their name, which of course i can't recall at the moment but I think they are located on magnolia in north hollywood.....hope this helps..i'll find the brochure and post the company name here when i get home from work....

okay-i did a google search here's the site. http://www.californiaartproducts.com

it's on vanowen, not magnolia

[ Edited by: tipsy mcstagger 2006-05-22 09:55 ]

they do not have that head on their site, but i know they produce it..in fact, their site features only a small portion of what they produce....best just to take a ride up there and see for yourself.....these folk are kinda spooky in that if you start asking alot of questions, they get wierd real quick...my advice to you is to tell them you are an interior designer of bars and nightclubs or that you work for a designer and were just curious as to the types of products available.....this line will also get you into the neon sign graveyard in vegas to snoop around...at least it did for me back in 1994.....of course, it was also true at the time...

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2006-05-22 10:02 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2006-05-22 10:03 ]

Good call, Dave,not many Angelenos even know about that place. The two or three fiberglass Tiki molds they have have been around for a while, and their casts of them are way ovepriced.
A brother of the one in question here was actually used in "Clambake", the Florida Elvis movie with that cool beach Luau dance number.

Now THAT info would drive up prices on e-bay!

T

California Art Products is where I went to cast my Enchanted Tiki Room molds - they were a great help and very reasonable...

Thanks for the info, guys!

Now I have to go rent Clambake and show it to the people that are selling the head at The Rooster! :)

I got Clambake in the mail today from Netflix and captured a few shots of the Figurehead in the Luau dance number that BigBro mentioned. It looks quite a bit different, but it's definately the same tiki (as in the same style manufactured by one company from one mold). The folks that are selling it at The Rooster were floored when I showed them these pictures, and told them all about the stuff that has been mentioned before by BigBro and Tipsy.

Thanks for all your help! It was fun sleuthing this one down!

Pages: 1 6 replies