Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

rock carving

Pages: 1 9 replies

...been working on this project off & on a few years...have yet to complete the base...figures are 2" - 3-1/2"...material is collected stone...hope u like...

[ Edited by: mrwiskers 2006-05-22 12:30 ]

[ Edited by: mrwiskers 2006-05-22 13:10 ]

[ Edited by: mrwiskers 2006-05-22 13:11 ]

try putting a "/" before the last img, just inside the last [ on the address

...well, dang if that didn't work...thanks, man...appreciates...John

B

Pretty neat rocks there MrW. They are a Lot smaller than I thought. Nice works.

Mr Whiskers
Got a couple of questions if you have the time:

1. How many hours would you say that you have into an individual piece? You mentioned that you had been working on all of them for a few years now. I was just wondering if you have an estimate for the total project time to make a complete one in this scale.
  2. What sort of tools do you use?
  3. If I asked more questions in specific geologic terms(ie igneous intrusive vs. extrusive, metamorphic, gneiss) would you know what I was talking about?
  4. Do you have any pictures of them in progress or your work area that you would be willing to share with us?
  5. Have you made anything else on a larger scale?(tiki or otherwise)
  6. Are all these previous questions irrelevant because you just pick up a rock and slam into it with a hammer? Just wondering: I've never met anyone who used stone before. When I saw your stuff, I had all these questions and you happened to be the one I'm burdening by asking. Sorry and
    Thanks for sharing your work
    buzzy
P

wow, those are neat.

H

Cool!

Thanks, guys...Yo, Buzzy...your questions:

1. individual pieces this size (2-1/2" to 3-1/2") take me about 12 hrs. or so. I made them about 4 yrs. ago. I only recently found the rock for my stand, & have about 30 minutes in it, leveling one face (12" in length)...hard to give an estimate, since this has sorta been an on-and-off project...I'm not a trained artist, & only work when the spirit moves me...

2. the tiki were cut free-hand, using a Dremel with various shaped diamond bits. The base was cut & smoothed using an electric 4" angle grinder with a diamond dry-cut blade...

3. the rocks used for the tiki are of a type that are used here in the Memphis, TN area to bed railroad tracks...I would be hazarding a guess as to their type & content...they are difficult to work, as flaking can be a problem. Some seem to contain mica, granite, & quartz, so, gneiss is my guess...I'm not sure...

4.No pics on progress...I work outdoors in a good breeze (process creates a large amount of silica dust...)

1. Have done several other tikis on a larger scale, using a grinder, dremel, hammer & chisel:

I've used these in my 'tiki garden':

...these guys were cut from Arkansas fieldstone (hard sandstone) & limestone...Ancient Polynesian stone carvings are rare, as iron & steel were not available & the work was very time consuming...my inspirations come from the Maori, Hawaiian, New Guinea & Easter Island peoples...I also do copper faces & will post some at a later date...Thank you for your interest & kind words...feel free to criticize...I have a thick skin & not much talent...just like doing this. There are some really talented folks on this website...true artists & too m any 2 mention...John

J

On 2006-05-22 12:28, mrwiskers wrote:

What a terrific lineup. I'm glad Buzzy asked the slew of questions, because most were ones I wanted to ask, thanks for the answers. How long did the diamond bits last when carving? Did you use the less expensive diamond plated bits?

Share more.
JP

Hi, JP...I used the cheap made-in-china diamond (coated) bits for Dremel, bought off ebay...they last long enough to do a job or so...I buy diamond (coated) blades, mainly DeWalt, from Lowe's & Home Depot for around $19...this is for a 7" blade...performs really well on sandstone/limestone & brick material...I use a 4" Milwaukee grinder, & take the guard off (dangerous...not recommended...use face & eye protection...)...runs the 7" blade good & cuts like a mother...don't know what else I can share, but ask & I'll try & advise...have fun...

Pages: 1 9 replies