Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Kukulele Presents: Tiki Taix XXIII on May 26th, 2006.

Pages: 1 9 replies

Friday May 26th, 2006 10PM No Cover

Back after a month on leave, its our third year of Tiki Tiax!!

Its time for another visit from Uncle Bill "Tappy" Tapia! The last time he came and played for us at Tiki Taix he was only 97 years old, now that he is 98 he's going to show us some of his new tricks. The legendary "Tappy" has played at all the big houses in LA, was a teacher of ukulele to Shirley Temple and Clark Gable, and played at the Grand Opening of the Royal Hawaiian in 1927! Would you believe he was even knocked out of the boat while playing at the Tonga Room in San Francisco? (In fact it was by another legend of Hawaii who you've all heard.) Come join in the fun and hear the ukulele jazz music of our very own living breathing Royal Hawaiian Bill Tapia!

AND

Brian Chidister returns with rarities from the The Dumb Angel #4: All Summer Long Film Block! This month we'll learn more about Brian's historical interest in Waikiki's early years including the beach at Waikiki and the long gone, but not forgotten Waikiki Beach Boys. Unlike the Beach Boys of California, the Waikiki Beach Boys were involved in the infancy of surf culture. Tonight we'll see early film of Waikiki and for all you Marilyn Monroe fans, we'll take a look at a young Norma Jean surfing in Malibu, California. After a few film clips, we'll ask Brian and Bill Tapia to share a few interesting stories about early Waikiki and what being a Beach Boy was all about.

ALSO

King Kukulele & The Friki Tikis will be leaving for a 5 country tour of Europe with the grand finale at the London Luau on June 10th, presented by CheekyTiki. This will be your last chance to send the boys off with a bang, so come to Tiki Taix and make a couple of requests, hear a few new songs, even sing a couple yourself.

PLUS

It's time to Bon Voyage once again to one of our favorite Tiki Palaces. Sam's Seafood in Sunset Beach, California is floating off to the Big Luau in the Sky. It's a Hidden Vilage that holds alot of precious memories for many Tiki Taix regulars as well as thousands around the world. It was only a few months ago that we paid tribute to the Royal Hawaiian of Laguna Beach, California, but its time once again for a sentimental look through photographs at Sam's Seafood. If you like what you see, you're invited to Big Sam's Goodbye Party on Sat. 27th. The following night Sam's will have it's proper send-off with fans of all ages, a big luau buffet, and musical entertainment to send Sam's off right.

AND

After years of searching, King Kukulele has found the Worlds Worst Tikis!! Behold the wonders of the Anti-Carver. We don't know who he is, or how he does it, but after viewing photos of his work Crazy Al went Crazy, Tiki Diablo burst into flames and Tiki Tony paddled out on his surfboard and never returned!! Leroy, being an experienced veteran, refuses to look at them.

Join us for this one night only event. We'll be at Tiki Taix 1911 Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park, Los Angeles 90026 One block north of the lagoon.

[ Edited by: KING KUKULELE 2006-05-23 03:29 ]

[ Edited by: KING KUKULELE 2006-05-23 20:48 ]

On 2006-05-23 03:28, KING KUKULELE wrote:
Friday May 26th, 2006 10PM No Cover

Back after a month on leave, its our third year of Tiki Tiax!!

Its time for another visit from Uncle Bill "Tappy" Tapia!
AND
Brian Chidister returns with rarities from Waikiki's early years including the Waikiki Beach Boys and for all you Marilyn Monroe fans, we'll take a look at a young Norma Jean surfing in Malibu, California.
ALSO
King Kukulele & The Friki Tikis
PLUS
Bon Voyage Sam's Seafood in Sunset Beach, California It's a Hidden Vilage that holds alot of precious memories for many Tiki Taix regulars as well as thousands around the world. you're invited to Big Sam's Goodbye Party on Sat. 27th. The following night Sam's will have it's proper send-off with fans of all ages, a big luau buffet, and musical entertainment to send Sam's off right.
AND
King Kukulele has found the Worlds Worst Tikis!!

Join us for this one night only event. We'll be at Tiki Taix 1911 Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park, Los Angeles 90026 One block north of the lagoon.

Attention TCers, Lurkers, All of you who haven't been out to Tiki Taix...You are really missing out on something fun!!!! AND ITS FREE!!!!! King Kukulele always puts on a great show! The atmosphere at Taix is very warm and relaxing. This month's show looks great! Ukuleles, Friki Tikis and Kitchy films and the world's worst tikis?????? How could you miss this??? Come out and support the King!!!!

What a weekend!!!! Tiki Taix on Friday and Sam's BIG SHOW Saturday night!!!

All of you out-of-towners, what a great weekend to make the trek to So Cal.!

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-05-23 10:13 ]

If anybody is going to this, I say we should meet at Tiki Ti
at 8 pm or so, before hand,( for some real drinks) then go down to
Taix right before 10 pm.

whaddya say??
Jeff(bigtikidude)

WOOOHOOOOO! ANOTHER Tiki-filled weekend :)

On 2006-05-23 18:26, bigtikidude wrote:
If anybody is going to this, I say we should meet at Tiki Ti
at 8 pm or so, before hand,( for some real drinks) then go down to
Taix right before 10 pm.

whaddya say??
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Not a bad idea Jeff! We'll try to make it down there first. I hope a ton of people make it to see the King Friday night!

A

in
Mahalo,
Al

It looks like I'll be there with my wife.

Who's getting there early to get a table?

[edit]OK, I'm going to be there with my wife and Beautiful Young Daughter!

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-05-26 07:32 ]

'
'Vid posted on Wed, May 24, 2006 9:49 AM

Can't wait! We're gonna have some fun Friday night!

So who's in for Tiki Ti before hand, I've gotten there early on Friday's and there is never a line to get in, like later in the night.
It's not to far North of Taix.

I wanna shoot for 6 or 7 pm., but maybe 8 at the latest.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

I can't wait to see the worst tikis ever after that long paddle back! See ya there!

Pages: 1 9 replies