Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sfo Airport Tiki exhibition

Pages: 1 9 replies

Just got word that this exhibition is now underway at the sfo airport.
Located in the international terminal, south wall. It will be up until September.
If your flying go check it out.

-stuckie

M

I assume it is past the security gates so you need an appropriate airline ticket, right?

M

Thanks for the heads up, Stuckie. I will have to check it out soon, just got back from a trip, but flew out of Oakland. Next time out of SFO I'll get there early and take some candid pics. Maybe on the next flight to Isle de Alameda, it's been 2 weeks since my last visit to Forbidden Island. My probation is probably lifted.

• mrsmiley wrote:
    I assume it is past the security gates so you need an appropriate airline ticket, right?*

Security! Suspicious traveler alert...suspect wearing hawaiian shirt and lederhosen.

Where am I?
midnite

T
Tiare posted on Sun, Jun 4, 2006 9:15 AM

I was looking at the SFO map and it looks like it isn't past the security checkpoint, that it is in the main hall. Anyone have any further info?

I will try and check it out if I have any time.

H

I haven't been to it yet, but some friends did, and they said it was in the international concourse, and it's not behind a security checkpoint -- easily accessible by the public.

M

On 2006-06-04 10:09, Humuhumu wrote:
I haven't been to it yet, but some friends did, and they said it was in the international concourse, and it's not behind a security checkpoint -- easily accessible by the public.

zazz and thanks for anwering my question!

M

Prior to my flight to Florida and the family reunion, I strolled by the international terminal and found the Tiki exhibit. Check it out if ya can, it's pretty cool. Pretty heavy on the mugs, but what else can they fit in there? A nice little exhibit, saw a few folks enjoying it.

Unfortunately, photography is not permitted.

It's a small world after all.
midnite

O
Otto posted on Sat, Jul 1, 2006 7:37 PM

curator Jeff Stevens and I are doing a guided tour and Q&A at noon on Saturday Aug 5, 2006 at SFO
It's free

Wow that's great!
Edumacation at it's finest.

H

We just got back from checking out this exhibit while taking my Mom to the airport. It's fantastic! Go see it before it's gone -- the trip to the airport was actually quite painless, and there's nothing like seeing it all together in person. Tomorrow's tour at noon is a perfect time, but if you can't make it then, be sure to see it before it's taken down in September. My pictures just do not do it justice.

Here are my photos, apologies for the heavy glare:
http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/sfoexhibit/

:down: The exhibit takes up this whole display case; you can't really get a sense of how big it is, but you can see how far back the case goes:

:down: Check out this cool tiki champagne bucket stand from Trader Vic's:

:down: Mom about flipped her lid when she read this part (we weren't contacted for the exhibit, so it was a neat surprise for us, too):

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2006-08-04 19:03 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies