Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Sacred Steel - maybe not tiki, but great music anyway

Pages: 1 2 replies

As a budding Hawaiian lap steel guitar player I'm always on the lookout for lap steel guitar sonic vibrations. From Sponge Bob to Speedy West, the sound is sweet!

I got turned onto a style that isn't associated with Tiki (except that the instrument is of Hawaiian origin)but is very good music - Sacred Steel.

Sacred Steel began in the black churches in the '30s with the popularization of lap steel guitar. The style places the lap steel and the pedal steel guitars 'front and center' in this gospel style as opposed to the church organ.

I would strongly recommend listening to this style of music. I been in the gambit of styles from punk to exotica, and would recommend this highly.

An album/CD to check out would be a 'various artist' release titled 'None but the Righteous - The masters of sacred steel'.

If you don't like it I'll buy you a Mai Tai!

'A thing of Tiki is a joy forever'

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2002-12-12 09:42 ]

Hey, Bong!
We played that disc on the P.A. at Lava Lounge last night. Everyone thought it was terrible! Now, buy us all mai-tais! :lol:

-Weird Unc

[ Edited by: weirduncletiki on 2002-12-12 12:01 ]

Weird Unc,

I'll buy everyone a Mai Tai but it has to be at my Tiki Bar!

P.S. Are you good on music theory as I have a couple of questions I need answers to?

Pages: 1 2 replies