Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Who collects Mark Ryden?

Pages: 1 18 replies

I was just wondering if there were any other Mark Ryden collectors out there? If so, who are you and what do you collect?

[ Edited by: Atomicchick 2006-05-25 18:34 ]

...who here can afford to collect mark ryden??? his work has been priced out of our humble existences for years now.....

On 2006-05-24 12:49, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
...who here can afford to collect mark ryden??? his work has been priced out of our humble existences for years now.....

one word: Kohalacharms!!

true....but i always felt he was more concerned with vintage collectables as opposed to newer art...at least when it comes to decorating......i could be wrong...

I'm not sure, but I know I'd love to view his collection some day!

I have a few things from Mark Ryden, I wrote to him several years ago complementing him on his work and sent him a tear sheet of some of my illustrations. I have a postcard he sent back with a personal message, I was so excited that he took the time to write back, i couldn't believe it.
I also have the anima mundi book in the clamshell box that came with the print of the girl lying in the bed with her veins exposed and a nurse watching over her. I also have some Christmas cards he sent me and a few tear sheets from one of his early publishers that i received from my boss when i worked at Byron Preiss Publications in n.y.c., he got them from a trade show and knew i appreciated his work at the time. Sadly i have no originals but did get the chance to see one of his shows at the Earle McGrath Gallery in new york a few years ago, amazing detail, line control and seamless color, an truly talented individual.

'Santa Worm' is my favorite of his pieces, but I don't think he's done prints yet.

He's got lots of books. If you've got a book and a knife, you've got a print.

I

I have Mark Ryden's Just The Girls. Framed by Frame Fetish. It's awesome. I also have these cardboard things called screenies. They fit over a smaller computer monitor. Both items bought years ago on Ebay.

T

Atomic, what do you have besides the to Zebra boardered prints?

I have a few books and the purse he did with Paul Frank for his meat show. I bought the purse two maybe three years ago, of course I have never used it. Actually, I forgot I had it. I was going through my lucite purses today, kind of doing an inventory and found it in their with them. Just wondering who else digs him too! I would trade the purse for some badass mugs though! :)

T

Mark Rydens latest stuff has been portraits off faces. Check this girl out. Not sure whos came first with these but Marks and her works looks close. (And I know the large eyes came long ago) Mark was even at her show.
http://www.marionpeck.com/

M

I just hope I am not off topic but I also find some similarities in Ray Caesar's work (whom I really appreciate)

http://www.raycaesar.com/

although what he does is digital it still looks amazing

[ Edited by: marika 2006-05-25 08:05 ]

S

Mark Ryden is amazing, we have a few books, several prints, but have passed on opportunities to buy originals, even years ago, it was hard to justify spending the same amount on a painting as one of our cars.

Marion Peck has been around for awhile, but her art definitely shows a lot of Ryden influence, especially since they started dating.

His paintings in person are incredible, the detail and grand scale are amazing.

Last time I spoke with porterhouse publishing, and some individuals who communicate regularly with Mark, he was trying to get away from doing any prints. If that is the case, hold on to what you got, because the ebay resale market is already out of control.

A

I have 3 Mark Rydens! And I don't mean "3 works by Mark Ryden", I mean I actually have 3 of THEE GUY, Mark Ryden in my house! I put a bid on another Mark Ryden on ebay the other day, but got sniped. I wonder how many of him there are, but I'm assuming he's a limited edition.

Just kidding - I know, dumb joke.

I do have the two prints Exotica and Pele, but unfortunately hardly see them anymore, even though they're perfectly visible. It's that weird effect where once you begin accustomed to something in a certain place, it requires a concerted effort just to be conscious of it.

I've only seen Ryden's original work in person on a few occasions, but have always been really amazed by it. Even just a pencil sketch at a LaLuz group show a couple years ago - really beautiful. I've gotta say though that most of the time I don't know what the heck is going on thematically in his work, so it almost always looks to me like an inside joke that I'm not in on.

-Randy

Here are some pics of the purse.

M

Your purse it beautiful. I have a paul frank / hello kitty one and a paul frank / shag one and these collaboration purses are always amazing. I am sure you can't go unnoticed anywhere with this purse!

I have never used it or taken it out. :( I'm too afraid I will mess it up!

M

I understand. I decided to take my purses out but I do understand your decision. I just wanted to live them with a bit enjoy them in the outdoor and show them off. I might regret it one day for for now I don't.

Pages: 1 18 replies