Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Tiki bar/lounge project. new pics 17/7

Pages: 1 28 replies

Here´s a pic of me and my brothers project. We´re transforming our living room into a home bar. His is how far we´ve gotten yet.
The bar counter;

The whole structure and the counter is made out of pine tree. The front panels are three bamboo wind screens. There will be a flap to wall on the right side of the counter. The pole will hold up a palm leaf roof and be covered in fishnet and glass floats.

So please, any feedback is more than welcome.
If you´re in Sweden and have a tiki bar or lounge please get in touch for advice on cheap accesible material... and scandinavia / northern Europe for that matter too, It´s a microscopical scene in the cold north.

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2006-05-25 12:32 ]

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2006-05-27 08:58 ]

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2006-06-12 13:03 ]

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2006-06-17 09:47 ]

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2006-07-17 10:07 ]

That's a really nice, professional looking bar, and I love the wall you've covered too.
Great job! I can't wait to see more progression shots!

Thanks for that comment. :)
It´s beach mats on the wall. The back of the bar will be covered in beach mats and the rest of the room hopefully something more exclusive.

M

Nice start, lookin good. How tall is the bar? How big is the room?

Mahalo

nice looking space! you guys are well on your way. I really like how the bar turned out. the dark wood contrasts nicely with the bamboo. I'm looking forward to your progress.

Hey, I forgot to mention that cheekytiki imports stuff to England. It's a little closer than franks...but there might be something even closer. I know we have quite a few european tikifiles on this board....

Here's his website:
http://www.cheekytiki.com/cheeky/main.html

Good luck and have fun!

Mctiki> The bar is about 2.5 x 1.90 meters including the flap, needed room for a fridge. The room is about 3.6x7 meters. So the bar dominates the room quite a lot. But i think it will look OK when i get rid of the furniture that´s not needed in the living room

Polynesiac> Hi again. Yeah I´ve seen the website before. Got some palm thatch for the roof from him. They´re out of stock with the lauhala wall covering at the moment. I will get a shipping quote when he gets more I´ve been told.
But maybe equally nice, I´ve been able to get some leads on finding reed mats. There is an importer but no retailer in my area. But the importer gave me a tip on a place that could order in some for us. Going to call them up in half an hour. My hopes aren´t that high regarding the price though, reed matting is expensive in Sweden if you manage to find some.

H
Helz posted on Sat, May 27, 2006 3:36 AM

For reference:

2.5 meters ~ 8.2 feet
1.9 meters ~ 6.2 feet
3.6 meters ~ 11.8 feet
7 meters ~ 22.9 feet

I had to look it up, so I figured I'd save (almost) everyone the trouble...

But anyway, beautiful bar TD! I really like the coloring, the contrast is great. Keep posting pics!

Thanks Helztiki!

Me holding the flap. Is it called a flap?

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2006-05-28 01:01 ]

A bit of progress.

Glass floats and fishing net

We sure have room for more.

Not perfect but we don´t want to do it all over again.

From the inside.

Darkness, sorry.

For the rest of the walls we bought reed mats, to be installed this week. I put up some shelves for mugs yesterday.

Write a line if you like or dislike what you see and want to see more.
Any sugestions is welcome.

/F

Looking good. I am not even that close yet. I have been working on mine for about a week and a half now. So I just finished the basement Painting and flooring...the entire basement will become the The Enchanted Tiki Lounge

Great work, can't wait to see more.

S

Looking great man. Can't wait to see the final product of all your hard work.

great looking space! I really like how you wrapped the fish net around the pole and added those fish floats. I'm a real sucker for nautical stuff though...It adds a ton of character. Your bar came out fantastic too. did you put a coat of epoxy on top or just many coats of sealant? either way, it looks great. The matting on the wall looks tiki-riffic too and you may think about adding some more bamboo/wood trim to the walls to hide some of the lines between the mats, but that's up to you.

Don't be afraid to paint the cieling above the bar or add matting to the cieling. Take a look through some of the threads of TC members bar areas, or the vintage tiki bars in Locating Tiki and see how they did their cieling s there...tons of great ideas! It looks to me like it's time to start adding some tiki lights in there! But first, be sure to kick back with a good mixed drink and admire the work you've already done. Because it's great!

Thanks for sharing and be sure to post more pics of the progress!

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-06-12 18:08 ]

T

Tikidreams---

The white cabient is that a refrige or a dishwasher ????

Great Work !!!!

Being in Sweden do you listening to the band K-O-O-P ???

Polynesiac. Thanks for the friendly feedback.
It has become clear to me when we got the palm thatch roof up that the ceiling above the bar CAN´t be white. I will cover it in some way. The lights will be put up when im finisched with the walls. There´s already red light under the bar counter.
I used multiple layers of sealent, clear glossy laquer.

tikilale. The cadinet is a fridge. It will be tikified in time. Matting and a bamboo frame.
Hven´t heard of that band.

Covering up one of the walls.
It actually looks better in real life than in the picture.

There´s a gap to fill up though.

The reed mats were tied together with GREEN string. You CAN`T have that!
So there´s plenty of work to be done.

Just a little update. Comments are more than welcome. I don´t know ANYONE in sweden that´s even half as crazy about tiki as me so please gove me some feedback.

got a hold of some cheap but nice bar chairs.

couldn´t resist getting theese from the same place.

I wear this hat every day.

Booze and a bit of our tikified beer fridge.

An overview of the whole construction.

Needs lights and wall decorations that´s for sure, but it´s comming out better than what i expected.

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2006-07-17 10:06 ]

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine - to fix image links - 2006-07-17 10:07 ]

The place is looking great!
I quite like your stools and matching chairs & side tables.

P
Pyro posted on Mon, Jul 17, 2006 8:31 PM

looking good. I like how you "tikified" the fridge.

[ Edited by: Pyro 2006-07-17 20:32 ]

Very nice bar. I dig the floats around the support post.

My parents are visiting relatives in Rattvik for the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for all kind words.

Rodeotiki>> It amazes me that there´s so many people at TC with a Swedish heritage. I wonder why.

fina grejer grabbar :wink:

the bar looks great! will you invite me for a party someday?? :)

turboskickboy>> Tackar! Om det bjuds till kalas och du är i mellansverige så är du välkommen.
Hur går det med karvandet?

Some lighting and a better pic.
TC I´m back!

I just wanted to know what you think about the tiki lights my husband makes ? Usually,he's a rockabilly dance teacher and since he is on hollidays,he started making lights like those ones...

The fridge is amazing; really swank. I'm about to start my own home bar (in an apartment, so that should be weird) and your pics are inspirational.

Way to go!

B

Very very nice home bar Tikidream. Don't forget to put your cool tikis on it :wink:

Benjamin.

Ahhhhh, so this is what you've been doing??? I haven't seen you in the carving section lately. Your room is looking really awesome! I really dig the red lights too!

Craig

A very nice looking bar indeed.....

It looks like a great place to hang out!

You might need some heat lamps to give you that south pacific feel in the wintertime though!

Pina Colada's in the summertime.......Hot Buttered Rum's in the wintertime.

Great job! The next knock on the door you hear will be me.

Pages: 1 28 replies