Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Central's Tiki Crawl 6: July 21-23! (The crawl is over!)

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies

The Crawl is complete! Thanks to everyone!

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-07-25 22:42 ]

ZAZZ!

S

SUPER DUPER!!!!!
I think I can make it!
Save me a spot on the bus!!!
Wheeeeeeee
Pea

K

Cool, wonder what I'll win this year ....

MT

I'm gonna start resting my liver now!!!

I

Wouldn't miss it. Had so much fun last year. Thanks for posting the dates.

So cool!!! We hope to be there!!!

On 2006-05-26 17:29, Mai Tai wrote:
I'm gonna start resting my liver now!!!

Dude I am building a new one just for this crawl!

Chongolio

S

Hurray Hurray Hurray! It's on the calendar and I don't have to be out of town that weekend! YAAAAAY

I want a spot on the bus, pleeeeeeeeeese! Last year driving after you guys and trying to park was worse that a 151 Rum hangover!

Suzanne

I will be selling tickets on the bus for the first annual "How many blocks can Scott keep up with the bus" pool.
No cheating allowed (for example: holding a mai tai out the window).

S

well, we know he's good at downhill,,, whats say we go for up!
hehehehe
Pea

P

I'll be missing out on Friday night, I'll be joining on Saturday night I hope!!

CL

Will Cousin Clem be in attendance? If so, count me in! Clem rocks! Mai Tai thinks so too.

My first official Bay Area tiki crawl! I'm counting down the days!

Count me in! I have been wanting to meet more of the Ohana and this is the perfect excuse!

I hope you all don't mind that I really don't drink and just want to go and be social. Opps...the cat is out of the bag...LOL

H

Not if you don't mind hanging out with a bunch o' drunk people! There will likely be tasty non-alcoholic cocktails available at each spot (tiki bars generally have the best non-alcoholic drinks around), and if you're up for being a designated driver, you might find yourself revered like a god. I often alternate my drinkin' days with my non-drinkin' days at these events, to keep my stamina up. Looking forward to finally meeting you!

While I don't mind being a designated driver, I have no experience driving a bus. But I have faith! :)

T

i haven't been since crawl #3!!! (been living in sacramento) i'm LONG overdue!!!
~m

M

Is captian underpants coming again?

The official website is live with details on what is shaping up to be a quite ambitious event! We're hitting more locations than ever before, with half of them being new destinations.

Thanks to everyone for being patient!

~Hanford

TB

Looking forward to our 1st SF Crawl!

TBird.

Here's the planley, Stanleys --

Papua New Guinea Sculpture Garden

• As seen in this thread -- an incredible grove of hidden tikis, some reaching 30 feet in height!

Palo Alto Trader Vic's

• For the first time, the San Francisco crawl is going to hit all three of the Bay Area Trader Vic's. This one is a stone's throw from the Sculpture Garden, and has a whole bunch of its own cool Papua New Guinea tikis.

Smoke Tiki

• This is a new tiki bar right in downtown San Jose, with some great tiki details and even greater smokehouse food.

Trad'r Sam's

• Trad'r Sam's has been around since the '30s, and still has its fantastic, massive bamboo encrusted horseshoe-shaped bar. A very unique opportunity to see what the pre-tiki world looked like!

Tonga Room

• The jewel in San Francisco's tiki crown, the Tonga Room is stunningly beautiful, with an indoor lagoon complete with thunderstorms.

Sneaky Tiki

• New, tiki hotspot in San Francisco -- sleek, sexy and modern.

Bamboo Hut

• A fixture on the SF crawl, with drinks, dancing, and a massive tiki head right near the entrance.

San Francisco Trader Vic's

• The second Trader Vic's on our tour, with towering tikis, masks, float lamps and massive outrigger canoe, to be enjoyed with some of the best drinks you can find in San Francisco.

Emeryville Trader Vic's

• This visit completes the triumvirate of Bay Area Trader Vic's, and we've saved the best for last. Boasting some of the best tikis in addition to gorgeous bay views -- and of course, classic tiki drinks!

Forbidden Island

• Okay, here's the one you're all excited for: the high point of this year's crawl is of course the hands-down best Tiki Bar in the Bay Area! We'll take over Forbidden Island before it opens during a private event, and we'll spend plenty of time soaking up its unbeatable ambience, music, decor, and the absolutely best tiki drinks you'll find on this tour, and perhaps anywhere!

Forbidden Island is truly a Tiki Central bar, showcasing the efforts of many TCers, including: Bamboo Ben, Tiki Diablo, Kiegs, Basement Kahuna, Benzart, Kahaka, Hanford Lemoore, Monkeyman, Kick the Reverb, Jungle Trader, Iuka Grogg, and more, including owners/TCers Conga Mike and Tiki Crawl veteran Martin Cate.

Conga Lounge

• Conga Mike and his brothers were responsible for bringing tiki back to Oakland, after a long drought. We'll pay a visit to this petite and charming tiki paradise.

Kona Club

• The Kona Club is another great new destination that many are eager to see, thanks to the outstanding craftsmanship of Bamboo Ben. We'll end the night here -- fittingly, just a short ways away from Trader Vic's final resting place.

Forbidden Island

• Because just one visit to Forbidden Island isn't enough, we'll return for the traditional Sunday morning Play-Doh throwdown at Forbidden Island's lush outdoor patio.

As you can see, there are lots of return visits to old favorites, and also LOTS of brand new stops on the crawl. This is the first time the crawl has really covered the East Bay, San Francisco and the South Bay. It's a great way to see San Francisco.

For all the details, visit the official website.

Added bonus:

• If you fly into San Jose Airport, you can visit the in-airport tiki bar, Martini Monkey. It's in the public area (not behind security) in Terminal C. Who knows, maybe we'll try to swing by there on Thursday night when we're visiting Smoke Tiki.

• If you fly into San Francisco Airport, you can view the Polynesian Pop exhibit, which includes pieces on loan from many of our friends. It's also in a public area (not behind security), in the International terminal.

Can't wait to see everybody!

Quick update: If you signed up for the Tiki Crawl mailing list or the Bus List before 2pm on June 10th, and you were using Internet Explorer ... well, you didn't really sign up. Sorry, it was a programming mistake I made. Please go back and re-sign up. The website won't let you sign up twice so there's no harm in that. Mahalo!

M

QUESTION!!

Re: Scheduling. Take Saturday, for instance, but it's appicable to all evenings:

Emeryville Trader Vic's
Forbidden Island
Conga Lounge
Kona Club

Would that be the planned order of locales. Starting at Emeryville, ending the night at Kona?

midnite

On 2006-06-10 19:20, midnite_tiki wrote:
Would that be the planned order of locales. Starting at Emeryville, ending the night at Kona?

Not necessarily. We'll be announcing the order and times soon.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-06-11 16:23 ]

M

On 2006-06-11 13:39, hanford_lemoore wrote:

On 2006-06-10 19:20, midnite_tiki wrote:

Not necessarily. We'll be announcing the oder and times soon.

huh huh... you said "oder".

The only place missing for Thursday night SOUTH BAY CRAWL is the Marini Monkey at the San Jose Airport.

Much better than Smoke Tiki in my opinion.

[ Edited by: kingstontiki 2006-06-11 20:21 ]

On 2006-06-11 20:06, kingstontiki wrote:
The only place missing for Thursday night SOUTH BAY CRAWL is the Marini Monkey at the San Jose Airport.Much better than Smoke Tiki in my opinion.

Yeah, we're talking about the possibity of adding it. I need to do some reconnaissance ...

Also, if you're interested in getting on the Tiki Bus for Saturday night, please sign up on the special BUS LIST now. The bus sells out very quickly, and we want to make sure TCers get the first crack at tickets.

Q: What do you get when you take four days add 12 Tiki bars, a tribe of Tiki Freaks and one Chongolio...?
A: More fun than a barrel of rum stuffed with pickled monkeys.
I can't wait to commence the pickling.

Chongolio

W

wow, what perfect timing. I'm turning 21 on July 16th, and for my birthday we've been planning a trip to san francisco arriving the 20th of July. We had no idea this was going on during the exact dates of our trip. Sounds great!!!

TW

I'm in! I can't wait!!

S

Hurray! I love that there will be so much fabulous Tiki frolicking right here at home for me :D It almost makes up for the fact that I don't get to Indianapolis for the rockabilly weekender this year... sniff sniff

I can't wait! Tiki Bus here I come!
Suzanne

S

wooohoooo, just bought my plane ticket!!!!!
Save me a spot on the bus!!!
PEa

Sadly, I won't be going this year. I've been to the last 3 and it was very good fun. This one looks like the best yet. Lotsa places to see. I'm hoping a newbie will take my place this year.
Be careful and don't drink too much.

howdy ho!
just a couple weeks away,
any bus info? Didnt get anything in my email
while I was outta town.
Gotta know what's going on...
Thanks mucho!!!!
Pea

I'm in~

Ve Vill Be Zere!!! (hic)

--tikivixen

da bus come by. I got on. And thats when it all began.

M

Smiley and Inky will be there!!ZAZZ!

M
mig posted on Wed, Jul 5, 2006 9:01 AM

On 2006-07-03 19:29, mrsmiley wrote:
Smiley and Inky will be there!!ZAZZ!

Are you moved yet? Or are you going to try to add "Mr. Smiley's House" as a stop, and then say "oh hey, why don't you all put some stuff in boxes while you're here..." :D

UB

Mig!

S

On 2006-06-29 10:14, sweetpea wrote:
howdy ho!
just a couple weeks away,
any bus info? Didnt get anything in my email
while I was outta town.
Gotta know what's going on...
Thanks mucho!!!!
Pea

Yes, I'd like to know too.... what is the situation with the Bus? let me know phuleeeze :D:D

Suzanne

The BUS:

If you signed up for the bus mailing list, you will be emailed when tickets go on sale. They have not gone on sale yet because we still don't have the final schedule pinned down. But that is happening this week and we'll announce it soon!

Hang in there everyone!

S

YAY! Good news.
Sorrrrrry to be so antsy Hanford.
I'm just a crazy planner...
Pea

S

Thanks, Hanford, we're all anxious, of course!

Suzanne

BL

Yes, it's official - my TC cherry has now been popped. I am making my first ever post on TC after many years of reading over my darling husband Martiki's shoulder. What could bring on such a shocking turn of events? Why, the Tiki Central Tiki Crawl VI, of course! For the first time in several years, I am not helping organize the crawl this time around which leaves me lots of time to sit back and look forward to being a participant! This year sounds absolutely fabulous, and I'm hoping a lot of folks are planning to make the trip! I see some of you have posted that you plan to attend, but I'm wondering who else is crawling with us? Can we start a roll call? I didn't make it to Oasis this year which means I am suffering major withdrawl - I haven't gotten to see so many of you, especially Southern California folks, in so long! Whose happy faces will I see next weekend??

Rebecca

Welcome to TC Boo Loo....Doc.
Damn, I'm gonna miss ya'. Last year you wouldn't make out with me after I ate cheetos. So this year I'm not going.
Hi Martin.

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies