Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Spurlin Ceramics?

Pages: 1 5 replies

I posted a few weeks back in 'tiki finds' about a mug I found in Arizona. I'm pretty darn sure this is an early 'Vicious Virgin' mug made by Spurlin Ceramics, probably for the Islander. I'm hoping to get some feedback in an effort to confirm this.
There are no markings, but I recognized the glaze & style immediately.
Sadly she has a a hairline crack running through her right eye, but it is secure & I couldn't resist her womanly charms.
Any thoughts are welcome.

[ Edited by: Humuhumu - fixed image BBcode - 2006-05-30 10:50 ]

M

She is a beauty, great find!

M

I'm hoping to get some feedback in an effort to confirm this. *

BBTD,

I will give you the info you seek, but it's gonna cost you a "Captain's Grog" at Forbidden Island. Deal? Cool.

Here's the mug I have, it is marked on the bottom "Islander". The pic is from Mike's site, I believe this specific one is Al's mug. I have around four mugs made by Spurlin (Stella?, think was the woman's name). I got a lot of info once from Bob at OA, all about the production, prices, what was made, and for whom. That info, however, will cost you a "China Clipper" at Forbidden Island.

They look very similar, and the glaze on your find is very close to the glaze on other mugs in my collection made by Spurlin. It's that burnt orange/yellow drip look. Amost all of the Spurlin items I have are unmarked. Only two are marked, the above one, and a coconut from "Tahitian". The lack of marking is not dispositive, the glaze is the key for me. I'd hazard a guess it was made by Spurlin, but likely not for use at the Islander.

I'm thirsty. Saturday is the new Wednesday at Forbidden Island. I'm so there, the travel gods willing. Peace be upon BART.

The Honorable Right Reverend, wait, that's TikiHula...just midnite

Thanks Marika, I think shes lovely as well.
ok Midnite the drinks are on me already, just spill the beans!
The glaze reminded me of these mugs Gecko found way back, along with a few others seen on ebay & in the OA case.(bottom shelf, middle)
I've got a few other images saved on my computer somewhere as well.
I've just never seen this particular version before.

I would love to meet up @ FI this weekend, but have plans. I will do my best to be there next Wed, tho. I just got back into town & have been busy getting caught up.

M

Here's a very nice Spurlin's Ceramics bowl, notice the glaze(almost certain this is Stella Bodey's work). I missed bidding on one of these by a few seconds once (dang computer seizure)...that missed opp haunted me. Then many moon later, voila, another one:

Missed it by THAT much! If by "that" you mean over $400, then yes.

Yeah, well that ain't no $535 Islander Mug! I remember when you could get one of them for, oh, $200. The good old days, ya whippersnappping Johnny-come-too-late-all-the-good-stuff-is-gone Tiki posers. Way back when women were women and this country stood for something. Now it's all wireless doo-dads and special mocha lattes. Dang foreigners, coming into this country and bidding up all our Merikhan Tiki mugs. I'm sick of all these hippies and their medical Mary Jane. Buddhadamn Federal Reserve restrictive monetary policy! Someone oughtta do something about this...I'm too lazy.

Cheesy Roller Skating Crust! How much for a Tiki Bob?

Bring back Dick Nixon!
midnite

bbtd, you are one lucky sob as of lately! my goodness, what is next? (dare i ask?) and in all places to discover a spurlin treasure....who woulda thought arizona? well congratulations (again) and can you bring me along during your next thrifting expedition? i shall don my running shoes in an effort to find the goodies first.

mister midnite, sorry about the bowl that got away. doncha hate it when you find something that you are pretty sure others wont? im sure there will be another one floating out there with your name on it. unless jon gets it first.

and that tiki bob! that auction fetched more than usual due to the fabulous photo presentation on star wars sheets. an unlikely combo...but results in big bucks. :)

Pages: 1 5 replies