Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

stone !!!

Pages: 1 2 replies

One-Eyed Artistry

By Michael Hixon
(Updated: Thursday, May 25, 2006 9:13 AM PDT)

Artist Stone is pictured with some of his creations for a new exhibit opening next week at Gasoline in El Segundo. (photos courtesy of http://www.yourphotoshot.com Paul Guinn)

Some have spikes lining their backs or fire spewing from their bodies. But they all have something in common - they only have one huge eye that seems to have a life of its own. No, they're not creatures from “War of the Worlds” or some other 1950s creature feature, they are sculptures in a new exhibit opening next week at the Gasoline Gallery in El Segundo.

The artist known only as Stone will exhibit more than a dozen steel sculptures in the one-man show “Attack of the One-Eyed Monsters,” which runs from May 30 through June 24. A reception for Stone will take place June 3 from 6 to 10 p.m. at the gallery.

“I've always been into monsters, that kind of old 1950s horror movies,” said Stone. “So I came up with this little character that I thought I could redo over and over and make him look completely different but still have the same kind of feel to him.”

Raised in New Orleans, Stone started painting and drawing during his childhood, which eventually culminated in his use of fire and steel.

“I worked with my dad for 16 years as a pipe fitter and I dabbled in all different styles of art,” Stone said. “I was a tattoo artist for a while, airbrush artist for a while, but I never found anything that I really (connected with) until six years ago when I bought a welder.”

His passion for steel and fire was ignited when he moved to Denver where he created three-dimensional sculptures, from robots with fire erupting from its chest to flaming hearts, with steel and various motorcycle, car or bike parts including gears and spark plugs.

He also received inspiration from “counterculture” artists Pizz, Robert Williams and Jesse James. Pizz has been instrumental in Stone's exhibits in Palm Springs, where he currently lives, and “Attack of the One-Eyed Monsters” at Gasoline.

Over the past several years, Stone's subjects have evolved into the current exhibit of one-eyed creatures, sculptures suitable enough for a smaller venue, one like Gasoline Gallery. Stone's work can be seen regularly at M Modern Gallery in Palm Springs. But Stone also has a business, FusedMetals by Stone, that has one-of-a-kind custom furniture and architectural pieces.

Gasoline is located at 423 Main St. in El Segundo.

For more information, call 416-9188 or visit http://www.gasolinegallery.com.

____________________________________--

Stone Rocks!

P

Don't you mean "Stoned"... there, Kava Boy?

:wink:

PABLUS!

Pages: 1 2 replies