Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Found a carving today....Witco?

Pages: 1 14 replies

M

My Wahine found this at an estate sale this morning. Is it the real deal? It's over 6 foot tall. Awesome score.

K

Awsome find! it is a witco called big joe. Bill says this is the first style tiki Witco created. He said it is what helped Witco get rolling. Looks like it is in good shape also.

M

Thank you Keigs20. We are delighted it's the real deal. What do you think it's worth. No, it will not be for sale. Just curious. We paid $150.00

nice score!! I'd say that at that price...you totally robbed that poor seller!!! good for you!!! I've seen these at hala kahiki...they have 2 inside the bar in the middle room.........

Score!

It is lovingly referred to as "Big Joe" in the catalogues, and was a Witco staple for many years, into the 70s. So it might not be that rare, but because of its history (and the fact that my book will have a full page portrait of Bill posing with it in it) it is a winner.

CHA- CHING!

Oh man, that certainly renews hopes of finding some affordable Witco out there!

I was shocked when a local antique dealer, who frequently has classic Coco Joe's stuff and mugs for me had no idea what Witco was. I hesitated before letting him know!

NEVER,NEVER , tell a dealer about WITCO!! IF they are too STUPID to know DO NOT help them ,it just drives up the price .

W
WOW posted on Sun, May 28, 2006 2:21 PM

Don't worry.If you don't tell them,Svens new book will.

Well, the old one did already, no?, told you, and you, and you....basically everyone here except a few who knew the name before.

W
WOW posted on Sun, May 28, 2006 3:37 PM

I can't wait!!!!You told me.

Wow! I just read the devolution of the MunkTiki post on Marketplace, had I known I was dealing with such a loose trigger finger here, I would have not said anything...scary!

W
WOW posted on Sun, May 28, 2006 3:52 PM

Thanks Sven.

I will add in that there are 2 of them witcos in Hala Kahiki - I got a pic somewhere, I'll post it. Oh yeah Hala Kahiki in Chi town (area) is awesome just went there for the first time with Freddie balls - ok we went there 2 nights in a row.

Pages: 1 14 replies