Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

My first (very basic) Illustrator drawing

Pages: 1 14 replies

This is actually the result of a tutorial I found online somewhere. I'll never be as good at Illustrator as some of the terrific folks here, but it's fun to play with. Of course, suggestions and criticism always welcome.

that looks terrific, fd, whether it's a first effort or 100th.

Nice job! Illustrator takes a while to figure out and get comfortable with.
I drew a koi when I was playing around one day, you can see it here

H
hmc posted on Mon, May 29, 2006 5:07 PM

Wow, brilliant for your first go (are you sure this is your first!!!???)

Well done - you're already a pro.

Very nice work, finkdaddy - especially for your first time. I love working in Illustrator, but when I was a beginner with it, I found it not very user-friendly at all.

F
foamy posted on Tue, May 30, 2006 5:11 AM

That's a very nice first go-round FD. What with your 3-D skills, adding Illustrator to the mix will put you in very good stead. Can't wait until you start mixing it up. Carry on.

My favorite program. The trick to Illustrator is learning to manipulate the curves. Once you get that the rest comes easier. Keep up the great work.

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 30, 2006 7:07 AM

Get off the computer and pick up your carving knife man!

Okay, it is pretty kool :)

You know I expect to see an Illustrator surf tiki now dontya?

Very nice use of colors. Pretty dand good for a first effort. Illustrator is a pretty amazing tool, and it has the ability to do some pretty amazing things. (just take a look at Swamp Fires mind blowing detail.) I have only scratched the surface of it's many capabilities. FInkdaddy, It looks like you have already started to use the blending/ gradient tool. I have yet to dive into that feature too deeply yet. Keep at it. Glad you were able to get your jpgs to post. Always something to learn eh?

Chongolio

Kingstiedye: Thank you so much! BTW, I'm hoping to finish your tiki in the next day or two. Sorry about the wait. :blush:

Tikiwahine: Your koi looks great. There must be more pieces we don't know about, right? Let's see em! Thanks. :)

Hmc: Thanks a bunch. It's my first Illustrator piece, but I've used other graphics programs, so it's not too bad.

Sam Gambino: Thank you! Right now it's a bit overwhelming, but I don't scare that easy. :wink:

Foamy: Mahalo! I hadn't thought of combining the two programs. Hmm...

AlohaStation: I know what you mean about the curves. I have some knowledge, but it is an art worth mastering.

Hewey: Thanks mate! I want to get a uke soon, so tonight begins a carving marathon. :wink: I'll also begin a surfn' tiki for you.

Chongolio: Thank you so much. I'm liking the gradient tool. Like I said, I actually learned the technique from an online tutorial. I hope I can duplicate it on my own stuff. Thanks for the help with the jpegs, you nailed it right away. And you're right, there's always, always something to learn.

I can't tell you how much it means to me to receive help and support from such a wonderful and talented group of people like yourselves. Thank you again everybody!!! :D

V

Great first stab at the ol' Illustrator! Man, I first started messing around with Illustrator in 99 and it got me SO frustrated I hardly used it. It is very counter-intuitive to an old school pencil pushing artist like me. Through the years, though, it has become my favorite for digital illustrating, and I often go to it first over Photoshop and my other fave Painter 9. You can see a handful of illustrator created do-dads on my website - a bamboo example (tho not a cool as yours!):

My best advice with Illustrator is the more you stick with it, the more you get to love it!

VanTiki

PS: Sam Gambino - I just picked up your Tiki Farm Shrunken head mug over the weekend. Soooooo coooool! :)

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2006-05-30 18:05 ]

finkdaddy, great to see some digital work on here. I love your treatment on the bamboo, great job. The first time I worked in Illustrator it was back in the days when blends were built with actual shapes, I think it was version .5 or something. I created a logo for myself and the file was beyond huge. I had created a digital monster that froze my computer up when I went to move the logo on the page. I think pushing those boundries is a good thing and for a first time illustrator piece you did a fantastic job.

Maybe you tried this but I wonder what the blend in the background would look like if it started in the upper left corner and blended diagonally to the lower right corner. And do a radial blend instead of a linier blend. My thinking is that the roundness of the blend would contrast nicely with the sharp angles of the bamboo plant. Plus the diagonal blending my give it some more interest as well, in a subtle way. Then again my suggestions might ruin the piece, you don't know until you try. Either way keep keep up the great work.

VanTiki: Thanks, and that bamboo looks very cool! My problem is that a pencil in my hand is completely useless, so I'm hoping this will help. :lol:

Swamp Fire: Thank you so much for the kind words, and especially the advice! I will give it a try and see what happens. I love your work so much and can only hope that a fraction of your talent will show up in mine. I hope you don't mind, but I've thought of a zillion Illustrator questions to ask you. :) Mahalo

On 2006-05-29 16:16, finkdaddy wrote:

I'll never be as good at Illustrator as some of the terrific folks here, but it's fun to play with.

[/quote

yeesh!! dude!!.....don't be so down on yourself..that's a great start!!!! ..now put that on a tightrope and you got yourself an act, my friend!!!

seriously..don't get discouraged....

don't knock yourself fink! There's some nice sensitivity in that bamboo! I'd say you've got a good handle on it already!

Pages: 1 14 replies