Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Tiki Lover

Pages: 1 28 replies

T

I was fortunate enough to find this site while researching Tiki items. I actually just purchased the Disney LE Tiki Drummer tonight for $150 US including shipping!! We are trying to decorate the outside and basement of our house with in a Tiki theme.

One item we saw on my search that we would like to get is a Disney TIKI Room Big Figure. Does anyone know where I could get one and what a fair price would be for one. I have only been able to find one ebayer selling them at $300 US plus shipping. Being new to TIKI items I was not sure what the original price was and whether this was a fair price for the item.

I look forward to reading more on this site and making new friends.

Tikilove, you have made a new friend. Welcome!

Welcome, Tikilover...Take that 150.00 and buy a really good vintage tiki mug or menu or a hand carved wooden tiki..Money much, much better spent.

Okay, I've got to say something here. Someone new comes on TC and the first thing they're told is that they wasted their money on something that THEY like. If I was told that when I first joined, I might not come back. Please realize that not everyone here is a mug collector or a menu collector or a collector of anything at all. Some just want to get a good tiki vibe in their home, whether it's with overpriced Witco or cheap Big Lots stuff. The point is, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that the person doing the buying is happy with what they bought. Obviously tikilove loves what he or she bought and is looking for more like it. We should be helping them, not telling them to buy what makes US happy.

Okay, jumping off my soapbox now...

tikilove, welcome to TC! There's lots to read here so enjoy!

T

I am still here. I don't scare that easily. I would not consider myself a collector of TIKI items - but I am sure I will purchase some items that are collectible. Disney junkies would probably consider the TIKI drummer a collectible - I just like Disney and TIKI so that's why I got it. I did do a search for TIKI menus and carvings and saw some items I am interested in. At this time the mugs don't appeal to me - but by 200 posts I will probably have a collection of mugs.

Is there anything I should be concerned with in regards to buying TIKI carvings?
ie Don't buy from this seller or items from a certain area of the world because they come with BUGS that will destroy your house.

[ Edited by: tikilove 2006-05-31 19:09 ]

T

Listen to BK. He didn't mean nothin by it. He just probably knows what's the better deal.

well, buying anything made of wood can be a gamble. I try to check out my wood closely, but you just can never be positive. look for tell tale signs such as, wormholes (though they could be old and o.k.) make sure sawdust is'nt comming out of them. some problems could be carpenter ants, termites, grubs. just look it over closely. disney and theme park stuff is awesome. good luck hunting. c.s.

Welcome, TikiLove!

G

You know, despite my getting preachy and all earlier, please do check out Basement Kahuna's carvings. There are many pictures of his terrific stuff on this site. He is one of a number of outstanding artists on Tiki Central. Happy hunting!

I'd say Gap nailed it. I was just touting the better investment for the long haul, which is always the vintage tiki stuff.. As for carvings, everyone around here produces quality stuff...No buggies. No worries. Just put it in your tiki bar and let it ride!

G

Gotcha. Sorry if I misunderstood. I don't tend to think of buying tiki as a financial investment. Just an investment in my personal, selfish enjoyment. :)

T

Investment?

This person strikes me as someone who's interested for the love of tiki & Disney - not what will be a better "investment for the long haul"... And like I've said before - the drummers are full size reproductions off the original 1963 molds, painted to match original colors. It's like owning the original prop! Also - there are only 1000 of them. I'm sure they will sell out soon.

I think the drummers will hold up nicely over the years, and are a bargain at $175.

"There's no guarantee that they'll go up in value, but all of the others have" -The Franklin Mint :)

T

I did manage to find someone selling the Disney TIKI Village Big Figure at a more reasonable price of $147 plus shipping. I found out that it original sold for $195 - so I think I am paying a fair price for it.

I watched an auction last night for a TIKI Beachcomber Bar menu - it went for $20.50 US, it was from the 70's and was in great condition. I was tempted but decided to watch more auctions and read more here before I purchase an item such as this.

Is there anyone on this site that produces TIKI Totem poles that are 60" or hirer?
We just bought a couple of Easter Island Concrete figures for outside and they look great and I think I have the perfect spot for a large TIKI Totem.

S

Greetings. Tell us where youare located and we'll recommend a good carver. Those things are expensive to ship!

T

On 2006-06-01 08:06, tikilove wrote:
I did manage to find someone selling the Disney TIKI Village Big Figure at a more reasonable price

What "TIKI Village Big Figure" are you talking about? Can you post a link or picture?

[ Edited by: TikiPhil 2006-06-01 16:07 ]

T

I live in Toronto, Ontario, CANADA. The 5th largest City in North America. Who's bigger? New York, LA, Mexico City and then Chicago.

Any one you can recommend for 60" plus totems and any sites with pictures would be great.

The proper name I think is Disney Enchanted Tiki Room - Big Figure. On ebay search #6634031658 for some great pictures of it. I did not buy from this guy but he has some great pictures of it.

[ Edited by: tikilove 2006-06-01 20:13 ]

5'+ carved wood Tikis in the Toronto area? How dedicated to finding one are you? Our resident expert on Torontonian (Torontoite?) Tiki is Tikifish, you might want to send her an email to see if she knows of any within a reasonable driving distance. Or you might want to bring a picture of what you want to a local chainsaw carver and see if they'll create what you want for a reasonable price. If you have the time, space & inclination you might want to spend some time in the "Creating Tiki: Tiki Carving" threads and try your own hand at carving.

K

On 2006-06-01 20:12, tikilove wrote:

Any one you can recommend for 60" plus totems and any sites with pictures would be great.

I'll put in a plug for my pal Jim "Chisel Slinger" Robinson. He is about an 8 1/2 hour drive from you to Columbus Ohio. He can carve just about anything that's tiki, and if you bring some rum and hang out for a few drinks he just might give you the best deal you're likely to ever see anywhere.

I've been bugging him to set up a website. There are few pics of his older work floating around, which was good, but his most recent work (some more traditional stuff) is just incredible. Especially for the prices he asks for it.

Heck, you come down this way anytime and we'll show you around and make sure you have some tiki themed fun. There are a few collections and home bars down here that are worth the trip by themselves. Just PM or email me if you are ever so inclined.

Ahu

T

Thanks for the invite. I am headed down the I-75 in August to Florida. I will be passing through Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tenn., Georgia. How close is Columbus to LIMA? We usually stop in Lima for the night. Do you have any TIKI fun that can included my 3 and 5 year old kids? I sure after 8.5 hrs with just me and the kids I could use some RUM. I actually trying to pick up one of those Target Tiki bars on the way through. They are on sale now for $199 US and my wife is headed to Georgia next week - she is going to try and make a new friend at work so she can store it their house until we pass through.

I will contact the member in Toronto. Thanks for the info.

K

Family friendly tiki fun? Hmm... we could probably conjure something up. But it can be hard to entertain 3-5 year olds when Daddy wants a cocktail.

You let us know what you can do drinking-wise, and we'll plan something that would work.

Lima is about an hour from Columbus.

And in August we have the Hot Rod Hula Hop (18th and 19th) so if you are coming through then you will have all the tiki on your hands (and custom rods) that you could want in a 2 day period.

If the wife is not into tiki, she might want to take the kids to the Columbus Zoo (which is really great BTW) while you tie one on with the loud shirt crowd.

Ahu

G

Tikilove,

If you're interested in meeting some Florida locals for some tiki fun on your trip in August, let us know where you're going to be and when. The TC ohana is spread around Florida from Tampa to Orlando to Ft Lauderdale and Miami. Best to post that request in "Tiki Events >> Other Events" though.

Hey If you are interested.. I have some large items that I am looking to move on down the Tiki Highway... I have a 7 ft Orchids full round Tiki Pole, (palmwood) and a 10 to 11 ft Tiki pole...
I am asking 500 and 1000 respectively.. I am going to search and see if my original post with pics is still on TC.. FOUND IT! heres the original post with some pics.. the only items currently for sale are the poles... dont even ask about the one mounted on the white door... (generous offers entertained on that piece lol)
PGH aint that far away.. LOL! Plus its history....
Muggs Von Yinzer of the FOM & the Pittsburgh Drifters cc
http://www.drifterscc.com

[ Edited by: rustbeltcat 2006-06-04 18:51 ]

T

On 2006-06-01 07:52, Basement Kahuna wrote:
"There's no guarantee that they'll go up in value, but all of the others have" -The Franklin Mint :)

Ha!
This is a good one, they are talking about the Disney tiki room drummer.
You know the ones selling for $3000.00 to $5000.00 bucks now.(1/24/2018)

Not asking for but selling for Winning bid: US $3,369.00 And $60.00 plus on shipping.
But Disney is hot.

The stuff that was worth a lot back then is not the same as what is worth a lot today.
Heck Basement Kahuna does not carve anymore and Chisel Slingers carvings I have not seen for some time.

Funny how time changes things.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2018-01-24 11:09 ]

Wow, Skip, I just looked, and you're absolutely right, there's one on eBay for $5,000. Looks like a limited edition of 1000 pieces were cast. See my screen capture below.

Can you imagine what other tiki stuff you can buy for $5,000 instead of just this ONE replica item? Mind-bogglingly not worth it to me. Definitely cool, but not worth the expense. If I really really had to have one, I'd seriously consider learning to carve a close facsimile before I'd drop that much cash on a resin replica.

Ace, there are some people here who have made really cool replicas. I guess it's like anything else though, I could make a replica of a rare mug but that doesn't give it the same value to a collector as the original would have. Like a zirconium replica of the Hope Diamond :lol:

Skip and Ace, I say we take the Grand Member Time Machine back to 2006 and buy up a bunch of these :D

Mike, I agree! :) What a hoot that would be....

I'm not against replicas per se. While this one is WAY cool, it is just overpriced. While I want it, I am quite happy with a photo of the tiki drummer and a MP3 copy of the actual drummer soundtrack. But it would truly be cool to carve a facsimile, with moving arms and lights...

Here is the one Joshua Bell made from Papier-mâché :wink: Doesn't look like it has moving arms though.

Ben built this bar for Queen Kamehameha that had drummers in the eaves. I don't know if Ben carved these or where they came from?

Pages: 1 28 replies