Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Chin Tiki a la Detroit

Pages: 1 15 replies

Doing some research on the old Chin Tiki... Does anyone remember the layout of the place? Also did it have represenative mug at one time?

Thanks,

Swamp

[ Edited by: Swamp Tiki 2006-05-31 20:50 ]

Hi Swamp Tiki,

There's lots of stuff on Chin Tiki here. Use the search feature.

Here's a previous thread on the place:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16411&forum=2

Heres a link to picture of one of the mugs:

http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/marked/aff

Good luck with your research.

I will be able to tell you first hand soon. I have decided to spend some of my overseas earned money to travel and shoot what I really care for and so in a couple of weeks I will mount an expedition to the Chin Tiki to photograph its remnants. Too often did I regret that I did not document Tiki Temples in their fallen state, and now that Marvin Chin has passed away, it seems ever more unlikely that the Chin Tiki will be restored to its former glory. Its contents will likely be relocated to the Livonia Chin's, and since there are a few Witco pieces in there, I am looking forward to photographing them "in Situ" for my upcoming book.

Bigbro,
Did you need someone to hold your camera case when you're in there?

My lovely partner-in-life Naomi will be my assistant. That's what she gets for being linked with a Tiki-crazed urban archaeologist: In the little precious time I am home, IF we spend a "romantic weekend" together, it's in Detroit!

And if you want to support Naomi's going to Chin Tiki, shop at the 8ball Webstore, you can pick up a Signed Copy of the Tiki Style Icon, or some Lucky Tiki Bandages, or anything else that catches your eye, and may I mention the special limited edition SHAG poster available with purchase? :D

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-06-01 08:39 ]

Hahaha, that's nice, F.F., thank you for plugging her new, improved store. But wait, I am not sure she still has SIGNED Tiki Style copies...at least not until I get home tomorrow. And then I won't think about signing until much later :)

C
Chub posted on Thu, Jun 1, 2006 12:14 PM

Hey BigBro, what dates are you going to be in Detroit exactly? I live about 7 minutes north of the Detroit Chin Tiki. If you'd like to stop by for a cocktail, let me know.

Thanks, it looks like Nancy from Cat's Meow has a pretty full program for me already. I'll get in on the 14th, scout the place, and then have dinner at the Livonia Chin's.
15th I pick up rental gear and shoot the place, on the 16th I fly back. But come on by.

C
Chub posted on Thu, Jun 1, 2006 1:07 PM

The food at Livonia Chin's is some of the worst I've ever had. Be warned!!! That is, unless you like your beef to have rainbow colors in it.

On 2006-06-01 13:07, Chub wrote:
The food at Livonia Chin's is some of the worst I've ever had. Be warned!!! That is, unless you like your beef to have rainbow colors in it.

Is that bad? Colorful drinks, colorful food! :lol:
Oh what my poor Naomi has to suffer through me, she's vegetarian. Thanks for the warning, I guessed they wouldn't exactly have Sushi, but not be that bad.
Yet, in order to not insult the host tribe, this intrepid explorer might have to partake in the indigenous "specialties".

livonia chins is very small. they wont fit much more in there. the wife and I documented the old chin's with photos and video tape. some of her photos will be in an upcoming book to be released soon. I'll post the working title a.s.a.p.

That's good news, the more documentation the better. I am so short of space in my new book again, I will only be able to put in three or four shots max, so a more complete coverage will be wonderful. I just wish we would have entered this tomb in its virgin state, before it was despoiled by the Eminem crew.
For example I am guessing that the fact that all the standing Tikis are bunched up in one corner was them moving stuff around from its original location...not to mention the stuff that was lifted.

..forget the negative crap.....chin's food is not bad at all......don't let it spoil your time....you're in good hands with nancy as she has lived in the area for many years and has organised all the chin tiki art shows......she has some great original tiki art and a great collection of witco that you may want to document as well.....she'll also point you in the right direction for vegetarion food but i recommend you sneak away and get yourself a coney dog!!!!! -it's an east coast thing....hotdogs with chili, mustard and onions.....okay, so it's really like just a chili dog, but damn they're good.....

Big Bro,

I've got a friend in Detroit's Historic Preservation Division. She has some period shots of the interior. When I get them I'll see that you get copies if your interested.

Hang Loose.

Swamp

Wait...I just saw the picture beneath your post and changed my mind: Who needs to go to Detroit, I am going THERE instead! :D

That would be rad, I always favor vintage material, and also I could compare then and now. Mahalo.

Pages: 1 15 replies