Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Californiana: The Nut Tree

Pages: 1 7 replies

Hey All here's my first post to the boards. It's not Tiki but it definitely falls under the banner of amazing old Californian Architecture of the 50's - 60's .
The Nut Tree was a tourist spot in Alameda county it's coming back as one of those faux luxe living complexes that are so popular out there. That sucks but what doesnt suck is the following website documenting the old Nut Tree. I went there a bunch as a kid and I love this whole vibe. I dunno if it qualifies as googie architecture as im no expert but these photos are priceless.
http://www.alamedainfo.com/nut_tree_CA.htm
Also http://www.alamedainfo.com/ has TONS of vintage photographs of San Francisco and The East Bay that are sure to please. Be sure to check out the restaurants in Oakland too super bachelor pad style!

T
thejab posted on Fri, Jun 2, 2006 3:31 PM

Hmmm, I wonder what they served in the hollowed out pineapples. Tropical drinks?

S

I grew up in San Francisco and the Nut tree seemed an endless drive (at the time). I don't remember the pineapples, but I do remember they served little Whitecastle type hamburgers to the kiddies of which I was one at the time.

[ Edited by: spy-tiki 2006-06-05 09:15 ]

P

Crap, I thought we were all shading under the Nut Tree. And, yes, I remember the pineapples.
XXXOOO

On 2006-06-02 16:34, spy-tiki wrote:
I grew up in San Francisco and the Nut tree seemed an endless drive (at the time). I don't remember the pineapples, but I do remember they served little Whitecastle type hamburgers to the kiddies of which I was on at the time.

me too! how funny. i will have to ask my parents next time i talk to them.

CL

I loved the NUT Tree. It was cheesy, but I loved it. Guess I loved the cheesiness, or nuttiness :wink:. It seemed like a forever drive from the East Bay (yes, Alameda), but it was 1/2 way to Tahoe. Or so it seemed. We always stopped there on the way.

Despite the fact that it had been abandoned for years, I was so sad when they bulldozed it. Does anyone remember the little train that used to run around the complex?

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...

I too grew up going to the Nut Tree. In fact, I had my 5 yr high school reunion there.
A few months back I was honored to film the christening of the famous Nut Tree Train.
Here is a link to their new website. http://www.nuttreeusa.com/ It isn't quite the same as the old Nut Tree, but they didn't have to bring any of it back if they didn't want to. So, I guess a little taste of the past is better than no taste at all.

They wil have those "special" cookies that smelled so good and a dessert which will have fresh pineapple straight from Hawaii :drink: yum yum

Liquidspaceman, over and out

I remember the Nut Tree. They had their own runway so private pilots could fly in. The train would come out to the little airport and pick you up and take you back to the restaurant. Lots of photos of vintage airplanes on the walls. Very unique.

Pages: 1 7 replies