Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Building my first Tiki Bar

Pages: 1 30 replies

S

Aloha all,

Yesterday was day one of building my first tiki bar. I have to say I was pleased on how far we got.

We started off with a small two door cabinet. From there we used 2x4s to frame out the front. The wings are at a 45 degree angle.

Put in the support beams to mount the cabinet.

Mounted up 3 pieces of 1/4" plywood.

Used 2x2s to make the frame work of the roof.

One sheet of 1/4 inch to finish it off.

A shoot of the back side. We went with a two level bar.

A better shot of the "bartender level" of the bar.

And this is as far as we got yesterday. Mounted 1.5" bamboo on the corner seams of the front and 1" bamboo for the roof supports.

I put the order in today for the bamboo fencing that will fill in the spaces between the bamboo in the front. I will also start staining this afternoon. Now I just need to decided what I want to put on the roof. Anyone have any suggestions. C/Cs are very welcome.

T

Go to http://www.franksupply.com If they don't have it, you don't need it.

Looking good!

T

Lookin Good!

Put some Palm Leaf Thatching on top. Bensons' Import sells 3'x4' sheets for $15 each ($23.50 with interior fire retardant).

http://www.bensonsimport.com/pages/wholesale/palm_grass_thatching/Page1.html

S

Thanks for the kind words tikidreams and TikiPhil. I got my order of bamboo fencing in the other day and just got it mounted up. Really happy how it's turning out. Let me know what you guys think.

Out-freakin'-standing!

Don't know what the retail situation is up in your neck of the words, but down here in Socal we seem to be inudated with Tiki-brand Party Lights (the ones that look like colored Moai). At $8.99 for a strand of seven, a mighty bargain indeed.

You are planning to put some sort of mask across the front the bar, right ... ?

T

Stuf..
Let's get those torches light and get that party started !!!!

S

Satan's Sin : I do indeed plan on putting a tiki on the front part of the bar. I just haven't made up my mind on what kind to put up.

TikiLaLe : Thank goodness I live across the street from a firestation.

Here are some pics of my staining test for the counter top. I waned to go dark with it to contrast the lighter bamboo and thatching I ordered. I went with "natural red". Picture makes it slightly darker then it really is.

Great job! Amazing how bamboo can tikify common materials. I like it.

On 2006-06-11 17:40, stuf123 wrote:
Satan's Sin : I do indeed plan on putting a tiki on the front part of the bar. I just haven't made up my mind on what kind to put up.

Check out Bosko's selection of masks, he's got dozens of styles in various sizes & materials, even mounted on shields or framed, and if you don't see what you want he could make a custom one for you.

U seem 2 be pretty handy with tools so I'd say keep up the creativity and make your own mask for the bar front. Some of the simpler designs like a Moai can look the best under the right circumstances.
Kudos on the bar it looks tikitastic!!

Ive completed the basic construction of my first tiki hut.
I am not talented, nor do I know much about construction, and it certainly doesnt compare to the one I looked at in this thread, but Id love to post a picture of it, almost complete without any decorative Tiki items or the Thatch roof(waiting for delivery)

Can someone tell me how to post a picture or two.
I have the pictures copied onto my desktop.

Very nice job! Now go make yourself a nice tropical drink---you deserve it!
E

S

On 2006-06-18 12:14, LITikiman wrote:
Ive completed the basic construction of my first tiki hut.
I am not talented, nor do I know much about construction, and it certainly doesnt compare to the one I looked at in this thread, but Id love to post a picture of it, almost complete without any decorative Tiki items or the Thatch roof(waiting for delivery)

Can someone tell me how to post a picture or two.
I have the pictures copied onto my desktop.

http://www.tikicentral.com/faq.php#embed

That will have all the info you need on posting pics.

On 2006-06-11 19:34, bongofury wrote:

Agreed! Bamboo changes everything.

Sweet little bar there, Stuf! Keep us posted!

S

Thanks for the kind words everyone. This is one fun project to work on.
More updates on the bar for you all to see.

Here is the counter top with all the final sanding done on it and before the staining.

Here it with the stain on and the first coat of polyurithan on it.

Two more coats of poly later.

Three more coats of poly on at this point. It is smooth as glass. But the bar stuff on to see how it looks.

Close-up shot.

Here is how it stands now. Lashed the bamboo back on the roof poles. Now I just need my thatching I ordered to show up.

Next begins the buy of tiki heads and tiki mugs. The fun part!

[ Edited by: stuf123 2006-06-19 18:11 ]

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d800b3127cce8a1c07f8f9ef00000015100BbuGbNo0ZMW

well, thats the best I can do, I think the picture is there?

Like I said, I could work a Mitre saw and power drill, but not very talented, but Im pretty happy with my backyard bar.
Im waiting on the thatched roof to come, should be here this week.
The entire cost, for the bar was 171 dollars in wood and screws.
The sign, I used an piece of 1x6, took some old cruddy corner molding I had in the garage, and spray painted it yellow, it came out looking kind of stained, so I left only one coat, the letters were 1.99 each at Michaels craft store, and I bought a can of flourescent orange to color them. Im going to get a gold color chain, weave some nice rope or something I find that looks good, and rehang the sign, I just used some old cord and keychains to hang it just for the picture.

(I tried very hard to get bamboo to use as the front, I was going to cover it with a bamboo fence, but I decided to go with the decking look instead, Ill put some bamboo around the roof supports and maybe in the corners, still have a little work to do)

now dont make fun of that, thats the first thing I ever built and Im over 50.
It stands straight, and is even.
Im going to bamboo fence in the yard when my I get a chance to go talk to my local village govt, they have a million restrictions regarding fencing, so I want to make sure Im allowed to attach bamboo fencing to chain link, yeah, they are nuts out here on Long Island.

[ Edited by: LITikiman 2006-06-21 13:28 ]

[ Edited by: LITikiman 2006-06-21 17:02 ]

S

Aloha all,

Got some more done on the bar this past week and even threw a party on Saturday night. Still waiting on my thatching so I ended up buying some cheap grass skiting just for the party. I also picked up a resin tiki statue. I know...I want a authentic wood one, but I was on a time crunch for the party.

And here is the bar in full swing. Still have a lot to do yet but man was it fun!

LITikiman : Very nice for the first thing you ever built. Should look great with the thatching on top.

TP

Awesome job!
what kind of plywood did you use for the bartop? and name of the stain and polyurethan? Thanks.

T

Looks good. Try this on some scrap bamboo, Take a blow torch and flame the bamboo. especially at the nodes of the bamboo. Makes it look alot older. Then use amber shelac ot finish it off. Like I said do a test peice to see if you like this finish.

T

Ok, it's Monday morning --- How come the guy building the bar is not standing behind the bar !!!
Nice work ---

T

tihs is what flaming and shelacing the bamboo looks like. See how the nodes pop out by flaming them. And the shelac helps make it look old. If you don't like the shiny look just buff with steel wool.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d807b3127cce8a33297ad2a900000000400BbuGbNo0ZMW
the roof is on, its been raining on the right coast for days, I cant put anything outside with it to take a shot.( i kept trying to get it to post larger, Im not having any luck. sorry.)

[ Edited by: LITikiman 2006-06-26 09:16 ]

[ Edited by: LITikiman 2006-06-26 09:17 ]

[ Edited by: LITikiman 2006-06-26 09:19 ]

[ Edited by: LITikiman 2006-06-26 09:20 ]

S

On 2006-06-26 08:44, TikiLaLe wrote:
Ok, it's Monday morning --- How come the guy building the bar is not standing behind the bar !!!
Nice work ---

The guy building the bar in the beginning of the thread was my dad. And since I was taking all the pics...it looks like I just sat and watched him work. And since I live in Illinois and he in Indiana...he wasn't there for the grand opening.

S

On 2006-06-26 08:16, Tiki Pop wrote:
Awesome job!
what kind of plywood did you use for the bartop? and name of the stain and polyurethan? Thanks.

The bartop was made from a large piece of birch. Varathane was the brand name of both the stain and the polyurethane. The stain color was natural cherry (1 coat) and the polyurethane was water based (6 coats).

S

Aloha all. Been very busy which translates to 'can't work on tiki bar'. I did get a few things done.

Finally got the bamboo thatching up. I love the way it turned out. I used two pieces to get the think full look I wanted.

Close-up of the thatching.

Since my building won't allow monkeys...I did the next best thing...a life size Evil Monkey from Family Guy. Now I just need to find a fez hat that will fit him.

-Steve Richardson
http://www.supasteveart.com

[ Edited by: stuf123 2006-08-12 13:06 ]

He wasn't always evil..

a life size Evil Monkey from Family Guy.

AAARRRRGG!!! Why did I have to come to THIS page?
Now I HAVE to have one of those not so cuddly suckers!
Rum Monkeys Unite!
One question mate....how'd ya score one so quick?
I've searched all over da web only to find their big release in for the San Diego Comic Con, they're being "pre-sold" on ebay and they're even backordered from their maker who says they won't be available for retail! DAMN EVIL MONKEYS!!
Just tell me who ya had ta kill ta git wun a dem!

'Tanks Plenty
"When yer trapped in a room full a drunken monkeys...Pray ya don't run outa RUM!"
Dr.TikiMojo

T

Stuf, your old man built you a bar that's cool > my old man used to take me to bars !!! Guess it all works out. dosen't !!!!
Ernesto go home !!!!

S

On 2006-08-27 01:13, Dr.TikiMojo wrote:

a life size Evil Monkey from Family Guy.

AAARRRRGG!!! Why did I have to come to THIS page?
Now I HAVE to have one of those not so cuddly suckers!
Rum Monkeys Unite!
One question mate....how'd ya score one so quick?
I've searched all over da web only to find their big release in for the San Diego Comic Con, they're being "pre-sold" on ebay and they're even backordered from their maker who says they won't be available for retail! DAMN EVIL MONKEYS!!
Just tell me who ya had ta kill ta git wun a dem!

'Tanks Plenty
"When yer trapped in a room full a drunken monkeys...Pray ya don't run outa RUM!"
Dr.TikiMojo

I got my evil monkey at the Wizard World Convention in Chicago. It's odd to hear that they are on backorder because they had piles and piles of them at the show. Now I am even more happy that got one. My tip is to check Spencers Gifts first...they seem to have all the family guy stuff in.

Pages: 1 30 replies