Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

My Space Room (image heavy)

Pages: 1 17 replies

I

In addition to my tiki room, I have been also working this year on creating a Space Themed Room. I thought I would share some pictures of how it has turned out, so far....

The walls of this room used to be white. I chose to paint it a color which matched the background of Shag's 'Wives with Knives' print, which is a focal point of the room. (there are no astronauts in the print, but the dancer figure is quite alien) I've placed a product called 'The Groove Tube' on my TV screen, which converts the TV image to giant blocky moving colored pixels

I've thrifted a good collection of interesting globes over the years, which gives a planetary look to the room.

I bought this full sized woman sculpture back in 1990. I painted her skin blue, and added a fez, to match the 'Wives With Knives' print, and to create a 3-D female alien presence in the room (she presides above the tv)

From the ceiling hang a number of pop-art red-disced mobiles, which can be found at Ikea

This space rocket themed 'Comet' sled was one of my best thriftscores ever - bought it for $10, I beleive

A big step in creating this room was hanging the glass shelves, so I could display much of the space-themed stuff I already owned.

More globes. The large one, second from the left is my largest globe (18" diameter), which is a lunar globe. There is a small sticker/plaque at the base, saying it is a NASA globe, from May of 1969 ... just two months before man walked on the moon.

I found a sofa in the 90's with a neat spiral/space fabric...

The room is partially lit by a pair of these lamps - the circular, Sputnik-y things revolve around the pole

The coffee table is a giant natural piece of wood, its surface smoothed to a neat finish. It somehow fits with the rest of the room -- I wasn't going for a sterile, chrome, 2001/Star Trek/Star Wars space look, but a warmer, 1950's, reddish, surface of Mars look. The game on the right is 'Astro Launch' a space-age version of Trouble that came out in the 60's.

The room is shared with my LP collection, part which is shown there. I never pass up a copy of Esquivel's 'Other World, Other Sounds' in the thrifts...

a picture of JFK and Jacqueline, Blythe doll below them

miscellaneous pictures of things elsewhere in the room...

There are a few other neat space things scattered around, but that should give you the overall look and feel.

Mai-tais taste pretty good in this room too! The space-age and Polynesian Pop heydays co-existed roughly in the same time period (late 50's, early 60's) so I feel that the space and tiki rooms in my home complement each other well.

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev 2006-06-04 15:37 ]

What a great room. I am hoping to do a Disneyland Tomorrowland themed room one day. This is great inspiration.

[ Edited by: Matterhorn1959 2006-06-04 17:04 ]

Fantastic room vern! I love the carpet too.

Theme rooms rule.

Very cool Vern. I've been wanting to build a Space Bar (pun intended) for years... though mine would have been more 70's Syd Mead cerulean blue and pre-redesign Tomorrowland. But I dig the 50's Mars/Cosmonaut red scheme. Unfortunately, I can't justify doing it because I have too much tiki crap that needs a space of its' own.

Na zdorovje!

:drink:

-Z

D

ha! at first i skipped this thread because i thought it was a MySpace (blogging) thing... but now i see.. its Outta This World! very nice theme room... sputniks rule!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 7, 2006 8:26 PM

Love that rocket sled and that lamp - very nice.

Theres some astronaut tiki mugs coming out - do they go in the space room or the tiki room?

Fabulous! Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous. Hats off. Bow down low.

But ... where are the lava lamps?

Very cool room Vern. I've got one of those Ikea mobiles in my home office (it rotates very slowly when I got the ceiling fan on). I drooool over that Sputnik lamp. Growing up in So.Cal my fave places when I was a kid were Disneyland's Tomorrow Land and Pacific Ocean Park's (POP) Rocket to Mars ride. Yeah...I'm a space cadet.

T

This room ROCKS!. Great job Vern! It's just so damned cool! And it does compliment the Tiki theme very nicely! (yes, I said COOL again. So what?).

F
foamy posted on Fri, Jun 9, 2006 5:31 AM

Hey Vern, way too cool! I'm a space fan myself. It was, in fact, space type stuff that got me into tiki. Your post here reminds me—I owe you a Birthday present (awfully late), but seeing your room here, well, I've changed my mind on what I was originally going to give you. I have a few things that should have been mailed by now. I'll just have to swap that one thing out.

P
pablus posted on Fri, Jun 9, 2006 7:07 PM

I'll take a Manhattan with an extra cherry.

Thanks, sharpshooter.

I

Thanks for the kind words.

Originally my tiki bar was in that same basement room, and much of the decor in the room was purchased with the tiki mid-century design period in mind. I later decided to move my tiki room up one level, into my main living room, but many of the items (the lamps, carpet, curtains in the pics) stayed at the basement level.

I majored in Geography, and started thrifting interesting globes - among the more interesting is one that has the flight path of John Glenn's Mercury capsule orbit painted on the surface, while another globe has a game spinner at its base, and uses magnetic planes as markers to 'fly' around the world.

Without shelves, globes tend to pile up in some corner, like some scene from a ultra-planetary disaster comic book. It was when envisioning the globes displayed on a wall, that I got the idea for the space room. The red Mars look was chosen partly because of the Shag print, and partly because the carpet,curtains, and couch already had the brownish/reddish tint.

If I get some of the upcoming space/tiki mugs, they will likely be shown in the space room, as there is more shelf/display space there. I am also waiting for more space monkey items, as that is another link between the space and tiki themes.

And yes, I do have a couple of lava lamps in the room, but they are tucked away a bit, amongst some LP records. I will provide you with one more photograph, just a few feet from the above pictures, I have a turntable-based light fixture, based on the design of Byron Gysin's Dream Machine. The rotating black cylinder has various cutouts, which cause the central red light bulb to create a rapid flicking effect. I had a pair of the Big Lot tiki figures standing nearby when I took the picture - they have since been moved to other locations.

and I will also add that my Jesus-themed bathroom is located on the same level of the above Space Room - it is tough to take pictures though as it is a very small room.

Vern

J

Now if there was a room that ever needed a Theremin playing in it, that is it!

Very cool.

Keep up with the pics! I wanna see the Jesus bathroom! (Comments reserved until subject matter is reviewed)

Jon

E

That's pretty cool. And a Mondrian Blyhe living in there as well. (I still have to set up my mini Tiki Bar for my Blythes around here somewhere...) You put a lot of effort and energy into that room...great job, bet it's fun to hang out in.

I forgot to mention, I have a really old Disney TOMORROWLAND lunchbox somewhere with the monorail graphics... very space looking.

[ Edited by: Exoticat 2006-06-18 14:58 ]

Out of this world.

Does it need lava lamps?

On 2006-08-27 01:11, christiki295 wrote:
Does it need lava lamps?

Silly question, every room needs a Lava Lamp!

B

That is one cool room.

All it needs is one of these playing old Outer Limits episodes 24/7...

Pages: 1 17 replies