Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Moustaches, aye or nay?

Pages: 1 23 replies

LT

Hey, where do y'all stand on moustaches? I've been giving this matter serious thought and as far as I'm concerned (at least in my part of the world) adventurous and unique facial hair is sadly lacking. Whether it's an nineteenth century cookie duster or a Rhett Butler, there's just a not enough facial hair manicuring going on in this age of electric razors and "just out of bed" looks. Beards are a separate matter entirely, so please don't sully this thread with your beardie anecdotes. In your heart of hearts you all know as well as I it takes a lot more gonads to sport a swanky moustache.

For those inclined to defer knowledge to higher sources here's some encyclopedic info on the matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_types_of_facial_hair

And for those keen to keep abreast of the cutting-edge facial hair scene check out these photos from the 2003 Beard and Moustache contest (having trouble finding more recent ones)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/photo_gallery/3234029.stm

For a fun moustache game check out the Sparks website:

http://www.allsparks.com/

Goodness, this all sounds incredibly together and sober of me, god knows it isn't... but then I do have a tendency to become an insufferable and quite factual bore when I've have a few too many.

“Paradise is exactly like where you are right now... only much, much better.”

[ Edited by: lone tiki? 2006-06-06 05:03 ]

LT

I take it that's a nay then?

K

Man, that "just above the lip" pencil-thin Rhett Butler is DA LOOK, for ultra hip swank, IMO. It's THEE moustache for that authentic 30's/40's vibe.

Run with it, brah!

LT

My sentiments exactly!

MR

All I know is that I have an oath with several friends that was made some twenty years ago that if any of us ever grow just a mousetache (without goatee etc.) we are to be punched squarely in the face.

M
marika posted on Tue, Jun 6, 2006 7:10 AM

I am always afraid of the Tom Selleck mustach, I am scared it could come back in style. It makes me shiver.

LT

On 2006-06-06 07:10, marika wrote:
I am always afraid of the Tom Selleck mustach, I am scared it could come back in style. It makes me shiver.

Ah, you've got to be made of stronger stuff than that... next you'll be telling me you fear mullets! Or this...

I

I do like the look of Don the Beachcomber's moustache, but part of that look is the slicked back hairdo. It is a shame that no movie was made of his life. David Niven could have portrayed him well.

Vern

M
marika posted on Tue, Jun 6, 2006 5:24 PM

On 2006-06-06 09:21, lone tiki? wrote:

Ah, you've got to be made of stronger stuff than that... next you'll be telling me you fear mullets! Or this...

I am so very weak. Hair scares me, especially when it is about bearded ladies and unibrows...

H

May is Officially Moustache Month. Everybody grows a moustache and whom ever has the best one by June first wins!

I say the mustache depends on the face! My dad has always had one and it looks good on him. My husband has also had a mustache since he could grow one. He looks good in it. While we were on Guam the visiting B-1 aircrews had a mustache growing contest and gave my husband the "Bert Reynolds" award.

And here are some photos showing how good our guys look in mustaches:

From the left we have Gecko, my husband Ben, and Dan of DanLovesTikis. Wendy Cevola took this photo at La Mariana Sailing Club.

And here is another of Wendy's photo's taken at my house showing Gecko and Freddie!

Mustashes Rule!

T

Putting aside the question of an individual's choice on whether to have a mustache in a diverse country like America, I think the prevalence of mustaches in a country can be correlated with corruption, machismo, and economic underperformance.

I make no judgement about mustaches on an individual basis, but on a broader, societal basis, places where mustaches are the rule for men tend to be those where clannishness and double-dealing are more common vis-a-via a more objective adherence to the rule of law.

If anyone finds this offensive, please don't. This is bilge and I'm talking loosely.

Hi Wendy, how fun to see more photos come up. I would never let Dan shave his off. The Bloody Maori I made with Gecko in the photo went home with me. A different one with a different test glaze is going up on eBay in a couple of days. It will be interesting to see if my idea for another severed head is liked or not. Wendy

On 2006-06-07 19:18, danlovestikis wrote:
Hi Wendy, how fun to see more photos come up. I would never let Dan shave his off. The Bloody Maori I made with Gecko in the photo went home with me. A different one with a different test glaze is going up on eBay in a couple of days. It will be interesting to see if my idea for another severed head is liked or not. Wendy

Ahhhhh! Wendy, this needs to be posted in the Tiki Marketplace, ASAP! I'm too poor for beautiful things like this to be coming out!

Good mustaches:

Bad mustaches:

and for those who don't want to commit to an actual mustache, there's always the secret mustache tattoo society

[ Edited by: stuff-o-rama 2006-06-13 12:08 ]

M
marika posted on Fri, Jun 9, 2006 1:37 PM

I really really like the mustache tattoo it cracks me up
it's like an instant disguise, I love it!

This one's a real rarity....

M-M-M-M-M-M Moustache
M-M-M-M-M-M Moustache
M-M-M-M-M-M Moustache
One hundred hairs make a man

I tried a handlebar design
My Fu Manchu was real fine
My Ronald Colman made 'em blink
My Pancho Villa made 'em think
But when I trimmed 'em real small
My Jewish friends would never call
Sparks, "Moustache"

MT

Nay!

Nay?

On 2006-06-12 00:26, Mai Tai wrote:
Nay!

I just saw a recent photo of Doug, and he still has that same mustache and glasses.....eeewwww!

My only argument for 'em: the 1972-73-74 Oakland A's!

"how long did it take to grow that mustache?"
"a coupla days"
"I wish I could do that"

• Napoleon Dynamite

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey 2006-06-19 16:16 ]

Pages: 1 23 replies