Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

ALOHA! Hula Girl and Tiki art sculpture

Pages: 1 31 replies

T

Aloha Tiki Centralers! I'm a shiny new tiki-and-Hawaii-ophile in these parts, and I thought I would show some like minded folks my recent sculpture and paint-up. I sculpted her some time ago and painted her just recently. I love me the Hawaii and I love me sculpting and cartoons and animation, so I thought I would combine all three into something I would like on my shelf. I just couldn't find anything that quite fit the bill otherwise, so the clay had to come out!

The Hula Girl and her Tiki pal is the startup piece for my little business venture of sculpting animated girl maquettes of various types, though I want to do a small line of Hula Girl pieces to accompany this one. I've sold a few of these to folks that want to paint and assemble their own, and this one here is the paint master for the resin casts that I'll be assembling and painting myself.

I'm pretty happy with how she turned out, all things considered.

Now I just have to get down to painting a few dozen of them myself... Eeesh... Daunting.

Anyway, I'd like your feedback on it if I could. I know the tiki isn't really anything perfectly accurate, but I wanted a Disney Tiki Room feel to him that would get me the look I wanted him to be giving the hula dancer.

So, I hope to hear from you tiki-philes. I am interested in your thoughts!
Mahalo!

L

Anyway, I'd like your feedback on it if I could. I know the tiki isn't really anything perfectly accurate, but I wanted a Disney Tiki Room feel to him that would get me the look I wanted him to be giving the hula dancer.

perfectly accurate tiki is not wanted nor in demand. Disney is what sells!
long live disney tiki.

I really hope there is a living, breathing model out there that posed for that statue.

I love it!

WoooHoooo! Tiki-rrific Job! Can't wait to see what you create next. :)

K
Kono posted on Tue, Jun 6, 2006 5:44 PM

Uhhhhh....Wow!

Nice work! Keep us in the loop.

C

very cool Timbone...great job on the sculpting...these will sell like hotcakes!

S

Very nice! Let us know when we can place our orders.

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Jun 6, 2006 6:53 PM

Sweetness! Eieee Mami

T

Thanks... er, Mahalo for the warm welcome, everyone! I appreciate it.

lanikai = I'd like to think that the Disney Tiki look sells! I don't know enough about the art or history to really do anything else, so I'm glad that's the preferred method. I don't have to stretch my brain so much.

Granite Tiki - there is a model, in a way. I based the pose on a photograph and collaborated a bit with a polynesian dancer I know to make sure the pose and attitude were right. So there sort of is a model. She's just in several places in several people!

WooHooWahine - I'm going to work on something not so tiki-inspired next, but I liked doing this one so much I'm sure that I'll come back to this. Maybe a wahine sitting on top of a tiki. That would be fun.

Kono - will do! I'm taking down interested parties now, so I can see how many have to be ordered and painted.

congatiki - I hope they sell, I really just want enough to afford to sculpt and make more sculpts! A hula-tiki line is sounding more likely all the time...

stuf123 - I'm taking orders for them now, though they will not be filled immediately. I still have quite a few to paint... so there will be a bit of a wait. Those that confirm to buy will be sure to get one!

McTiki - thank you!

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Jun 6, 2006 7:53 PM

is that sculpy?? wow!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jun 6, 2006 9:15 PM

WOW!!! Thats gorgeous!! Absolutely awesome work.

The whole thing just works great - great style.

Definitely looking forward to seeing more of this!

Welcome :)

Very Cool! Your sculpture is awesome!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 7, 2006 12:20 AM

How big is she?

C

Radical! I would definately like to see more of your work. That Hula dancer is a beauty. The Tiki is pretty cool too.
Chongolio

T

pdrake - yes, it was when she was first made. It was Sculpey Firm, the harder grey version of Super Sculpey. It rocks the socks, I will tell you.

hewey - thank you! I'll see what i can do about someday making more Hula and Tiki themed sculpts, this one has been a lot of fun.
This piece is about 11" tall from the bottom of the base to the top of her head.

Boyd - Mahalo!

Chongolio - if you would like to see some more of my work, here's my website:
http://www.gryphonswing.com/GWingGallery.html

Thanks everyone for your comments!

H

Fun Stuff!

T

WOW!!! she looks really good. i like the grin on the tiki's face as he's checking her out. i agree with some of the others, you need to make more like this, it's great. let us know aout ordering.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 7, 2006 8:57 PM

Just checked out the website - Awesome work mam! Mmmmm, nice pin ups... :)

Ironically the ice queen is hot :) I got a thing for corsets though :)

Im looking into getting some sculpture stuff soon - cant ever imagine Id do anything like that though!

B

Hey Timbone- I just discovered your post. She's pretty sweet. Hoochiemama!! Keep up the great work!

[ Edited by: tikidav 2006-11-16 21:29 ]

F

Great Hula girl, We'll have to check out your site to see more. Did you say that you had a paint it your self kit?

F

Ok I checked out your site and I officially DO NOT like you. (Need sarcasm font) I am jealous of your talent, I feel like a hack compared to the stuff of your's i've seen, and MY wife would hate you too, simply because you work for Disney. You suck. But I stiil like your stuff.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Nov 16, 2006 9:33 AM

GROG beleives Timbone has left the building. He hasn't posted anything since June when he first posted. GROG sent him an email once to ask about purchasing a piece from him, but he never responded. Then GROG saw him at the Comicon in San Diego, and GROG put his name on an email list, and he still hasn't responded. So GROG doubt he will be back until he has some maquettes painted and ready to sell.

T

Grog need to put down pipe and type in the kid's website and order hula girl !!!!

While Grog may indeed need to put down the pipe, he may be correct. I went to his (Tim's not Grog's) site and the links for ordering the Hula Girl, and others were not active. Oh well his loss (again Tim's not Grog's)

Damn! Gone eh..?

Well, just in case you ever pass this way again Timbone...

Awesome work!
Cheeky-Tiki & Cheeky-Chicky, what more could we ask for?

Well, more...

Tama

TimB..your work is exceptional, congrats

B

So, GROG think Timbone gone, eh?

I wanted him to see the hula dancer that I am working on. Oh well, here she is, all 3 inches of hip-shakin' glory. I sculpted her in a wax-like clay over a wire armature.

I'll post another picture when she's further along.

T

opps, me so sorry. grog, continue on with pipe !!!!!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Nov 16, 2006 11:36 PM

What's with the pipe? You lost GROG somewhere there.

P.S. Nice sculpt Tikidav.

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-11-16 23:37 ]

On 2006-11-16 19:34, Tikidav wrote:

I wanted him to see the hula dancer that I am working on. Oh well, here she is, all 3 inches of hip-shakin' glory. I sculpted her in a wax-like clay over a wire armature.

I'll post another picture when she's further along.

Tama sez: THREE INCHES??!! Wow, thats amazing, such detail & realism in her face...

*Timbone may never see it so hows about you start a thread of your own work Tikidav? :)

B

Thanks GROG and Tama.

On 2006-11-17 12:27, Tamapoutini wrote:
*Timbone may never see it so hows about you start a thread of your own work Tikidav? :)

That's a good idea. I shoulda done that anyways.

HJ

Artful and delightfully proportioned and animated. Thankk you for sharing and best of fortune.

Pages: 1 31 replies