Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

A nite @ the Tropical Bistro, Columbus OHIO, 6-17-06

Pages: 1 27 replies

S
Sabina posted on Wed, Jun 7, 2006 7:24 AM

You read that right, an OHIO "event" (well, ok, get together)!

OakTiki and I are going to be out in central Ohio and want to meet the Ohana, so blow the conch shell, gather the tribe!

Saturday June 17th, arriving 7:30-8:00pm-ish at the

Tropical Bistro
3641 Fishinger Road
Hilliard, OH 43026
(614)-527-8582

Tikiskip is going to see what he can do about rounding up some Fraternal Order of Moai folks so this should be good!

I grew up with the Kahiki, so anyone wanting to talk my ear off about it is more than welcome to :)

Somewhere, in Ohio, there's a smoking eruption with my name on it!

K

I'll be available that evening I think. I'm sure we can get a crew of Moai up there for a drink or two. I'll see if Jim (former Kahiki bartender) is working that night (and if not, maybe we can get him).

Could probably arrange a home bar visit or two as well.

Ahu

YeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaw!! Like I need an excuse to go to the Tropical Bistro!!!!!!!!!

You bet your ass I'll be there!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

W

Man I'm bummed... a month too soon for me !!!
No worries, I'll find it in July ... Hope you all have a great time !!!!
Aloha
Joe/Haole kats

No problem Joe. We will see you in July and go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

Hey Joe, (man now I got Hendrix in my head) Let me know when you are comming to Columbus. I live 5 minutes from the Bistro. You can stop by for some drinks. We will be having drinks at my house after the 17th as well. Can't wait Sabina.

Mahalo Tikiskip and (Jeff and Kuku in the Pm's)
I will be in approx July 10-18th. KuKu mentioned to me a possible stop by your place and others in their Pm. Really looking forward to meeting more ohana from Kahiki-ville (man I miss that place) You are all so kind and I am looking so forward to this...
From my island to yours "Aloha"

Joe

Sounds like something good is brewing....I've got to head back up that way on business, guess I'll make it sooner than later. I'll get the outrigger fired up and steer a course toward Hilliard. How far is this action from Chef Shangri-La?

Swamp

K

Swamp,

Columbus to Chicago is about 380 miles. Took me six plus hours last time I made the trip by car. Where are you starting from?

Ahu

ST

I'll be heading up from Atlanta, about twice that distance.

Swamp

This doesn't really have to do with the 17th exactly, but would you say the Tropical Bistro is worth the drive down from Akron? I just heard about it the other day and am now dying to go.

(I'm new on the boards too, so it's nice to meet everyone!)

-Joe

ST

When I was in Columbus (Ohio) a couple of weeks ago doing some research I was told by several people that it was THE place to see some good Kahiki artifacts while drinking classic Kahiki drink concoctions. They supposedly have recreated several key dishes from the old menu as well. I've been planning to head over to check it out the next time I was in town.

Swamp

[ Edited by: Swamp Tiki 2006-06-07 19:55 ]

K

From Akron? Sure.

I mean, look at it like this.. they serve the Kahiki drinks, and on many weekend nights they are mixed by Jim the Kahiki bartender himself. They serve a lot of the Kahiki food. Including the Tahitian Mermaid. They play exotica and often times have a real hawaiian guitarist playing live. There is a reasonable collection of Kahiki artifacts, including all of the tables and many lamps.

..and if you let us know when you will visit, you may run into some Moai there who will happily drink along with you and generally show you a good time.

Now.. is it the Kahiki? F*ck no. Not even close. But then again, what is? Aside from the Mai Kai, nothing.

I'll take what I can get and make the most of it. Try to help them out with business and hope they make enough dough off of tikiphiles that they decide to go full bore tiki.

It's worth a trip if for no other reason than to chat at the bar with Jim as he mixes you a Kahiki mai tai.

Ahu

This sounds cool!
I will be there as well.

Thanks for the info, I'm definitely going to have to check it out. It sounds like a good time.

-Joe

S

Looks like we've got one more to add to whatever final tally of how many people are coming.

We're counting the minutes!

S

Massive bump-

Just a little over a day away now.

tick...tick...tick...!

We are ready for you Sabina!!! They just mentioned in the local Other Paper that friends of Tiki Central and members of the Fraternal Order of Moai were meeting together this Saturday night!!! Should be a BIG crowd. Francis Llacuna will be playing his guitar and Jim (the original Kahiki bartender)will be mixing drinks (I hope). Then its off to tikiskips!!!!

See you soon!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

wow, you folks are promoting tiki! lol

T

Sabina Thanks for comming over that was a great time. It looks like the Kahiki velvet will have a good home.

Whew!! I had a mighty good time as well!!

Plenty o' tiki ambience and good people all around!

I slept Sunday away.....

Truly a magical night!!! Great food, great drinks, awesome ohana. It just doesn't get much better. Tikiskip was definitely the host with the most again for the after hours party!!! WOW!!

The FOM really know how to throw a party!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

S

Phew!

We're back home in Maryland, and RECOVERING! The Ohio Ohana know how to throw an EVENT! I'm in awe! I'm humbled! I'm honored! And most of all, I can't wait to get back in August for the Hot Rod Hula Hop!!!!

The Ohio Ohana were simply incredible! (MUCH detail to come!) To say nothing of wondrous liqueurs and mixology! The Tropical Bistro is a haunt- true Aloha spirit! And the Ohana who opened their homes to us to explore, photograph, etc were just amazing!

In the next 48 hours, after we're unpacked here a bit, I'm unload the camera, get some pix up, and do a little write up- although I must say right off the bat- words fail!

A quick teaser of what's to come for the rest of the TCers- it isn't everyday a quick trip 'back home' ends up with a mention in the local alterna-paper. ONLY in Columbus!

The mind boggles... .

K

Sabina, we enjoyed having you and Oak in town. It's always a treat to play host to tikiphiles visiting Kahikitown. Especially in the warm weather months.

Come back anytime, and we'll see you at the Hop!

Ahu

Glad to hear you guys made it home safe and sound!! What a fantastic weekend!!! Can't wait to see the pics!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Hey Sabina, where are all those wonderful pictures I know you have? Did you hang up the black velvet Lavisse painting from the Kahiki yet? Looking forward to your review!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

S

Ok, I still have a TON more pix from TikiSkip's and ChisselSlinger's yet to get up- those are in the 'post Hukilau, I'm going to get to 'em, REALLY I am', list of things to do.

But I swore to myself I'd at least get SOME up before Hukilau, so I've added a little album of pix from the Tropical Bistro back on that magical night in June. It was my first trip to the Tropical Bistro, and the first time I met the Ohio Ohana- many of whom I'm looking forward to seeing again down at Hukilau!

So without further ado, (and at long last), the Tropical Bistro album- http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/tropical-bistro

And yes, our Kahiki velvet made it safe and sound, and is waiting for a few minor repairs and for us to put some matting and tapa up on a wall, and a small light added above it so when it's hung, people will actually be able to see it!

Great pictures Sabina!!!

Thank you so much for posting these. It was a grand time!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pages: 1 27 replies