Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Great Times at New Scottsdale Trader Vic's

Pages: 1 17 replies

Been too long since I posted on Tiki Central, Gang! I recently opened a Spanish Tapas place in DC Ranch called Sol y Sombra in North Scottsdale and I have been slammed with all the Sangria and Vino Tinto flowing. However, I did make it to night number two at the all new Trader Vic's in the Valley Ho on Indian School Road. What a neat design, and although somewhat understated it fits the AZ resort vibe. Kim and I had Pu Pus at the bar, and they were great.

Our Mixology Doctors prescribed Suffering Bastards, Mai Tai's, Menehune Juice, Somoan Fog Cutters and Kafe-La'Te's and we were delighted with their surgical execution. I spoke with Sven Koch, who is the VP of American and European Operations, and he was very excited about the openings in Dallas at the Kimpton Hotel, and Vegas at the Desert Passage. I hope it puts that paltry Cheeseburgers out of biz as they are just plain BAD! I also spoke to the delightful Eve Bergeron (the Trader's Granddaughter), and we promised to stay in touch when she returns to SF. Although, we have Drift in Scottsdale, we needed the Trader Vic ship to dock these sandy shores again. The Phoenix Metro is ready for it..this time!

I am planning to make cocktail hour often of Monday nights and Wendsday evenings which are my nights off. Although, the don't play swanky exotica we can always wear our ipods and sip contently away. If any TCer out there won't to join me and take away my keys..it could be fun. Give us a PM or shout soon.

Our Doctors

Staff hard at work

Tonga Drum bar tops

Kimo and Rum Numb Davey primed for the evening. Sporting my Reyn Spooner Trader Vics shirt in celebration.

The sight for sore eyes

Update from Trader Vic's Scottsdale:

Last night I made a return visit to the newly-opened Trader Vic's at the Valley Ho. It was just great, although a sparse Sunday night crowd, I drank at the bar, and enjoyed meeting very friendly staff members.
The Bar Manager is Steve Blume, who is a great pro and innovative barman. He created a cocktail on the list featuring Pisco and Prickly Pear syrup. Very tangy and tasty, indeed.

The General Manager is named Achim Berger, and he is also a a great guy. I noticed the Food Critic of the New Times named Steven Lemons at a table and alerted Mr. Berger to his presence. He very astutely appreciated my contribution, and bought me a drink which Mai Tai. I sucked it down in a minute flat.

The star of the show last night was a charming Japanese - American Maitre' D named Mike Emizawa. What a fantastic and gracious host he is. I strongly advise all in Phoenix Metro to enjoy the staff, flavors, and cocktails of this new Jewell in the desert and if you see a large happy man holding court at the bar come up and say hello, as I am sure it will be me!

K

Hope you're able to take advantage of the TC gathering happening there in August:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=19354&forum=4&start=0

I was there for the opening but unfortunately am going to miss out on this.

was that Lemons guy a fat PIG? he wrote that heinous article about that Japanese chef buddy of his that cooks exotic meats, plant s & PEOPLE (all bogus--the NewTimes only exists to TITILLATE here in PHX--not enough REAL news to run REAL stories) and he also writes that horrid club column as 'Krispy Kreme'--they need a NEW food critic BAD--he is BARF-ISH

Hey Rum Numb Davey,

Sounds like a good time. The Mr and I would enjoy meeting up with you at TV's the next time we're in your neck of the woods. Maybe we can stop by your place too, mmmmmmmmm tapas! If you are ever in Tucson, give us a shout and we'll meet up at the Kon Tiki. You should meet Louie, he's a great guy and the manager of the KT.

Cheeky half

BB Moondog: Steven Lemmons is a chub! I did read his faux story in New Times about killing exotic animals. I knew from the first paragraph it was abogus prank.

You should see the bs he wrote about my restaurant Sol y Sombra in Scottsdale! By the way, Today in the Arizona we got 4 Stars and 2 $$. sweet vindication, indeed.

By the way, I made my third soujourn to TV Scottsdale tonight, and Eve Bergeron was a gem. Tomorrow, I meeting with CEO Hans Richeter aboyt Rum/ OKE liquor biz.

Wish me luck.

RND

Cheeky Half: Love the Mosaics! Great stuff. I also love Kon Tiki.

I have abused my liver there many times, and appreciate Louies work at restoring the place to former glory. My last vist was in the old ship was in bad shape.

Let's get together. PM me for details when and where.
Tonight, I took four business companions to meet Eve Bergeron, and she was a peach. I meet with CEO Hans Richeter tomorrow about getting real Maui Oke back onto the corp liquor list.

Rum Numb

Kimo and me with Paul Girard at Kon Tiki

Just finished a bottle of Havana Club Anejo 3 Anos, which was excellantly suited for many rum cocktails!

[ Edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2006-06-15 00:05 ]

[ Edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2006-06-15 00:05 ]

Thanks for the compliment RND! I sent you a PM.

Did a fair amount of Day Drinking at Trader Vics at Valley Ho. Day off and all.
Had my digital camera so what the heck. Took these photos for you kiddies.

View of the Valley Ho from TV Parking Lot

Outdoor Patio for dining and drinking

Yet more outdoor

Dining Room by afternoon

Dining Room back to bar

Mask Wall

Awesome Chinese Oven

The Monkeys See, Speak, and Hear no evil at Trader Vic’s in Scotsdale

Davey, how goes the Oke deal? Can we expect to see it on TVs menus soon?

I was recently very fortunate to be in the Phoenix area for a business seminar, and was able to dine at Trader Vic's Scottsdale on SuperBowl Sunday. What a fantastic dining (and drinking) event! It happened to be one of my friend's birthday as well. When I made my reservations (Open Table), I made a comment about loving TV Emeryville, thus my entire party was treated like Royalty in Scottsdale during the whole evening.

We started our evening by sitting around the firepit, outside, on the patio. They created a wonderful environment on the patio by adding a white sand pit area, and a glass tiled waterfall wall. After a round of Mai Tai's and Menehune Juice, we were taken inside for dinner. Sitting near the clay oven enclosed in a glass wall, we had appetizers and finished off with signature TV dishes. The menu is the same as you would find in Emeryville, so it was easy for me to pick what I wanted, and was able to suggest items to my other guests (who had never dined at a TV's before). Since we were there with a Birthday Boy, they presented us with a dessert to share.. the SnowBall (ice cream ball coated with fresh coconut flakes sitting in a puddle of chocolate sauce).

I was very impressed with the decor and friendliness of the staff. Every one of my dining party left with a smile on their face and a promise to return very soon.

I would rate the place with a 10 in all areas, except for their music. During the entire time, they played an eclectic mix salsa and female vocalists such as Christine Aguilara (whom I extremely dislike). I happened to mention this to the manager on duty, and she mentioned that she didn't like Hawaiian music thus played this mix. It just didn't complete the perfect dining experience without the right music.

Incidentally, for those of you who have dined at Trader Vic's Scottsdale, no reviews have been submitted to Phoenix's on-line restaurant review section of the local paper. You can find the link to Trader Vic's here:
http://www.azcentral.com/ent/dining/RestaurantDetails.php?OccurrenceID=106269

I am a bit taken back by the blurb currently on their site which reads:
"Trader Vic's is back, in all its tiki-tacky glory..."

During my review, I will make sure this comment is addressed. Somehow the term "tiki-tacky" is ruffling my feathers. Obviously written by someone who has a lack of vocabulary and taste. I didn't see one blow-up palm tree, stuffed parrot, or synthetic hula skirt in the place.

Trader Vic's Scottsdale deserves all of our support!!!

• Myke
K

During the entire time, they played an eclectic mix salsa and female vocalists such as Christine Aguilara (whom I extremely dislike). I happened to mention this to the manager on duty, and she mentioned that she didn't like Hawaiian music thus played this mix. It just didn't complete the perfect dining experience without the right music.

That would have most certainly ruined it for me. Since when does the manager on duty decide what kind of music gets played? I could be wrong but I thought Trader Vic's had specific policies on what kind of music can be played in their locations. I'd be surprised if eclectic salsa and Christine Aguilara was included in those choices. Is this typical of Trader Vics? I was at the Scottsdale location for their opening and I remember exotica and lounge being played.

So what happens if the manager on duty doesn't like the food? Bean burritos and hot dogs??

T

Was the manager's name 'Tony Soprano'

Sounds as if Arizona is becoming quite a hot spot for Tiki, with TV in Scottsdale, and the revamping of the Kon Tiki in Tucson.

We So Cal-ers bicker about 'Zoners' flooding in to San Diego, so it may well be time to turn the tables.

I recently returned from visiting the Trader Vics in Scottsdale just a few weeks ago. Much to my amazement, I discovered the courtyards for the first time. Whatever one might want to say in term of criticism regarding the joint, having drinks at night in the courtyard was sublime. The tropical foliage, the waterfall, the arbor, the lounge furniture. It all was heavenly. What a great night.

Hell yeah!! We stopped by during our recent trip to Az and had a fab time!!
Their happy hour rocks!! Their bar menu, billed as "1950's prices" has everything for $1 to $3. Not kidding. And they haven't cut down on the size of their portions. We got the amazing TV cheeseburger for $3, crab rangoons for $1. We had a smorgasbord for all of $15 (and took left overs to our hotel room) Their new manager, Andre, is certainly doing something right - the place was packed!! Drinks were top notch as always and we had a great time hanging out, in both the bar area and the outdoor "barefoot bar". Easily one of my favorite TV's!

What a blast! An absolutely great time. You're right. It was packed and the place was sold out.

Private party here tonight. I'll be back tomorrow. For Happy Hour.

Pages: 1 17 replies