Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2006 - Luau Train to Florida

Pages: 1 5 replies

ST

Just got off the Amtrak Website and found that the Silver Meteor runs straight down the Eastern Seaboard into Fort Lauderdale. This might be a restful alternative to driving and the rates seem cheap. The only catch is that in some places, particulary as the train moves south, the boarding times get pretty late. Once the train pulls into the station (5:12 p.m.)its a very short trip to the Yankee Clipper and a weekend of rum-soaked fun. Anyone up for organizing a Luau Train to Florida?

Swamp

T

Great idea! Taking the train is the classic way to visit Florida, as from the 20s through the 50s it was the way to get there from the Eastern seaboard. Many people took the night train as you could leave New York in the afternoon and wake in the next morning in Florida. The Silver Meteor itself started service to Miami in 1939 on Seaboard Air Lines.

I wish I could join you on the train, but I live in California.

I live in Long Beach California, last year my Mom visited me via Amtrak from Fla to Ca. I guess it also might be a less expensive alternative to flying, that is if you have 5 extra days to kill EACH WAY!

T
thejab posted on Thu, Jun 8, 2006 1:17 PM

Generally, the train is more expensive then flying, even if you go coach. There are exceptions: sometimes of the year special fares are avialable, and you can get rail passes as well. A room adds quite a bit to the cost. The lowest cost private rooms are small and cost almost as much as a hotel each night in addition to the coach fare. Only go by train if you are not in a hurry, and are willing to pay for the experience of classic rail travel (as close as it gets these days). I've taken Amtrak across the country a few times. The last trip was Oakland to New Orleans in the late 90s. The train is fast in some parts (like the desert) but slow-going in and out of cities and in mountains, and sometimes it stops for long times to let freights pass. This can be annoying for some people. I don't mind, I just bring a good book, my travel bar, and relax. The food is fair to good, if there is a dining car where meals are prepared from scratch on the spot, but much better then airline food, and dining in the diner can be a unique pleasure. Also, meals are included with a room purchase, and you can have the meals served to you in your room if you wish. And the lounge car is a great place to meet other people.

B
bungy posted on Thu, Jul 6, 2006 1:43 PM

I'd sure go on this if I weren't too far away! My sisters and I took Amtrak from Los Angeles to San Fran (Oakland) a few years ago, and it was soooo much fun!! We had rooms but sure ddiin't need them.. the regular seats are so luxurious, anyone could sleep in them. We had a band palying and all the other tourists were so jolly! It's an experience in itself.. like instaed of "Let's go to Disneyland" it is "Lets go for a train ride! Where? Anywhere!"
Auntie B.

R

My schedule won't allow it this fall but taking the train down from Philly would be a blast next year.

Pages: 1 5 replies