Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Is this New Zealand Maori old or not-so-old?

Pages: 1 8 replies

I found this cool New Zealand Maori this past weekend. It's seems to be old, mostly because of the age of the items at the estate sale I bought it at, but also by the look and feel of the wood. I'd place it at about the 1970's, but it might be older. Can any of you T.C'ers place the age and/or identify it? It's about 15" tall. What is really intriguing to me is the screw-hole in the middle of the figure. The tongue was carved to deliberately split to allow the hole to be made. Almost as if it was meant to be mounted on the wall. However, there are also two holes in the bottom: one in the front and one in the back, as if it was attached to a base at one time. If that is so, then why have a screw-hole in the middle of the figure for a wall-mount? I hope one of you guys can figure it out....

By the way, anyone know who "Kauri" is? I'm thinking that this was one of those roadside souvenir carvings by locals that the tourists would pick up on their travels.

Anyway, thanks in advance for all your input!

Lee

L

kauri is the wood it is carved from. The wall mount hole is an afterthought unrelated to the split tongue. Looks about 40 years old. great detail. keep it!

[ Edited by: lanikai 2006-06-07 23:49 ]

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 7, 2006 11:54 PM

Thats cool :)

Gorgeous find tiki lee! Lots of fine detail in that piece.

L
Loki posted on Thu, Jun 8, 2006 10:05 AM

Kauri (pronounced like the name Kerry) is found in the northern Island north of Auckland and in the Coromandel region. It was once the staple lumber of NZ and the Maori's used it for canoes and weapons, and carving. The forests were almost wipped out for development and now an effort to replant them is underway. In fact you can even buy a kauri and sponsor it.

Looks like a dandy of a piece.

"He who does anything because it is the custom makes no choice."
Tiki Jam 2

[ Edited by: Loki 2006-06-08 10:06 ]

H

its looks like about 70's. man i see those things everyday here in Auckland :D

was it made into a lamp?

kauri(said like Cow-re) is wood, damm strong stuff very hard. They grow real tall and wide and made great mast pole for the sailing ships. but im sure they are protected.

On 2006-06-19 20:39, Hajduk wrote:
but im sure they are protected.

I saw a eBay listing the other day that claimed that you can't export that wood anymore, anyone know if that true?

...the detail of carving is better than most souvineer items done today...the guy who signed it could be (have been) a master carver...worth a search to find out...nice carving...

S

The words on the back were done by other than the maker. Probably scratched on by the seller.

Pages: 1 8 replies