Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Nui Nui recipes?

Pages: 1 25 replies

M
mbanu posted on Fri, Jun 9, 2006 9:29 AM

I'm looking for Nui Nui recipes. Any chance sombody could help me out? :)

Is this what you are looking for?

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.04

Title: Shrimp Ono Nui (Coconut Shrimp)
Categories: Hawaiian, Seafood
Yield: 6 servings

24 lg Raw shrimp, peeled
1/2 c All-purpose flour
2 Eggs
3 c Shredded coconut

Dredge shrimp in flour, then in eggs. Roll the shrimp through
shredded coconut, covering them thoroughly.

Deep fry shrimps at about 375 F, until they are brown.

Serve with cocktail sauce to which crushed pineapple is added
according to taste.

From: Sheraton World Cookbook Princess Kaiulani Hotel, Honolulu,
Hawaii Shared By: Pat Stockett

M
mbanu posted on Mon, Jun 12, 2006 3:41 PM

On 2006-06-09 15:26, Blue Thunder wrote:

I wish it was, it sounds pretty tasty. :) The Nui Nui was one of Don the Beachcomber's old drinks. Rumor has it they still serve it at the Tiki Ti. :)

J

Maybe you could use the shrimp as a garnish.
Yummy!

May have found it, looks interesting http://www.perfectpuree.com/pp/recipe.php?recipe_id=1141&recipe_cat=119

Seems a little weak maybe somethings missing? Can't hurt to experiment a little maybe some Rum.............

[ Edited by: Blue Thunder 2006-06-27 15:53 ]

The Nui Nui is now one of my favorite drinks. You can find the recipe for it in Sippin' Safari.

Sippin' Safari is what you seek.

And, if you want to know how to make it for 50, let me know (I have the recipe).

J

They're serving a lovely Nui Nui at Forbidden Island now! One of my top 5 favorite drinks there! :drink: :D

The Nui Nui requires three syrups: Pimento liqueur (not really a syrup) vanilla syrup, and cinnamon syrup. I've learned to short cut the process in a similar manner that the Beachbum does for himself.

Here's what I do. The drink calls for 1/4 oz. cinnamon syrup and 1/8 oz each of pimento liqueur and vanilla syrup. I do the following:

1/2 oz simple syrup
2 crushed and finely ground allspice berries
1/8 tsp. of cinnamon
1 dash of vanilla

Mix together and heat for 15 seconds in the microwave.

The thing is, this really works and delivers a great flavor to the overall drink. Honestly, I just don't have the inclination to keep a bunch of syrups around when its possible to make the flavors instantly.

I hope this is helpful.

G

Mmmm... Nui Nui. A particular favorite of mine. Bring out the bongos and lower the lights. This is a special drink.

M

Mmmm... Nui Nui. A particular favorite of mine.

Here it is at Forbidden Island:

So will argue, and I will not dispute it, that a Nui Nui is the best cocktail served at FI. That goes for both on, or off, the drink menu. It is superb, and when made well...one of the best.

I like the Puka Punch from Tiki Ti bestest, and of course the Quicksand. Still, a Nui Nui is a taste extravaganza.

Pimento, not just for breakfast anymore!
el midnite

J

:D MmmmmmMmmmmmmMMMmmmmmm!!! :D

Just had a Nui Nui at Forbidden Island about an hour ago, and let me just say that I will revise my earlier statement to say it is in my TOP 3 FI favorites (and I've had every drink on the menu, and them some)!

And when you just have to make it with Havana Club cause your out of Virgin Island rum, lets just say its even better.

A

On 2007-08-24 08:36, arriano wrote:
This it?

Yup, that's the one.

Forbidden Island regulars will have to tell us whether or not the FI version is the same as the Don the Beachcomber version.

T

Yup, Forbidden Island's Nui Nui is the Don Beach version.

It was a drink special to commemorate the Don the Beachcomber birthday awhile back along with Don's Plantation Punch (also very good).

The drink was so popular that it continues to stick to the specials menu and we hope it makes it onto the main menu.

The Pimento liquor and syrups are all house made.

This is one of my absolute favorites!

Dang, now I'm thirsty.

M

The Nui Nui is officially on the permanent Forbidden Island Menu as of 1/2 hour from right NOW!

Along with one other classic Don recipe from Sippin' Safari, which you'll just have to visit to taste for yourself.

Jeez, Rob- who ya crappin? Of COURSE it's the original recipe! That's what we do! :wink:

MT

Glad to hear that the Nui Nui made it to the permanent menu. It's a damn fine drink, and also one of my top favorites. I'm curious what the other new drink is, perhaps Pearl Diver's Punch? I'd love to see that, because it's also a damn fine drink!

G

On 2007-08-24 16:35, martiki wrote:
Jeez, Rob- who ya crappin? Of COURSE it's the original recipe! That's what we do! :wink:

Holding my head in shame... Lost my head there for a minute. Sorry. Thousand apologies. :wink:

Actually, I was not so much referring to the recipe, but the taste of the end product since differences in homemade liqueurs and syrups can make a big difference in the final result.

G

Pearl Diver's Punch would be an interesting selection for a permanent menu since it's such a finicky drink, what with all that butter and honey and all. Mmmmmm... butter and honey.

I made a Nui Nui yesterday following the recipe in "Sippin' Safari" exactly. But for my taste, I find the 1/4 oz of Don's Spices #2 overpowers all other flavors in the drink and spoils it for me.

Okay, I've been making Nui Nui's and Pearl Divers for a couple of months now and I have to say, I am not all that sure that using the "proper indgredients" is the right thing for these two drinks.

Now that I have Starbuck's cinnamon and vanilla syrups as well as Wrey and Nephew Pimento Liquere, I think my old way of making the drinks might have been preferrable.

Previously, for the Nui Nui I added to 1/2 simple syrup a dash of vanilla, cinnamon, and two allspice berries freshly ground. This was substituting for 1/4 oz vanilla syrup, 1/8 oz pimento liquere, and 1/8 oz cinnamon syrup.

Using the correct syrups provides for a smooth although watery drink. Using my own homemade mix, the drink was alive and wild-eyed with flavor. However, it was tame enough to make me want to make a second.

By the way, the big bottles of syrups from Starbucks were only $6.00 and some change. I don't know what all that stuff about Starbuck's syrups being expensive was about. And, they came with pumpers for precise measuring. I'd be interested to know what others have done to make a Nui Nui when lacking the official syrups.

M

I like my bartenders too much to add a butter drink to the menu.

SIX DOLLARS for that cinnamon syrup? that is B.S.--I made the syrup the other night at home with a recipe from Beachbum Berry--I bought cinnamon sticks in the mexican foods area for 1.29--had sugar & water on hand it took like 4 minutes to boil--2 hours to cool and that stuff is G R E A T--and I can probably make about 3 more batches with my sticks--so it works out ot about .60 a BOTTLE

This weekend I made the Nui Nui recipe from Sippin' Safari, inspired by the discussion here and Chipandandy's lovely photography.

Boy, was I glad.

With no hope of finding pimento liqueur, I followed the instructions about the heated infusion of freshly-ground allspice, vanilla and simple syrup. I also used Starbuck's Cinnamon Syrup, Don Q Anejo rum and the usual fresh juices and bitters as instructed in SS. When I sniffed the bottle of the cinnamon syrup, i was initially wary that the strength would overpower the other flavors but this didn't happen. I made four portions to fill two largish "Artist's Series" Tiki mugs from Tiki Farm, using the amount of crushed ice specified and topping up with about another cup or so per mug.

I'm pretty bad with making garnishes from rind, and the oranges I had on hand were rather elderly. But I wanted that fresh orange scent to hit our noses when we sipped the drink, so I managed a couple of long strips of zest, rolled them tightly and used them as umbrella stands across the top of the mugs.

This drink is delicious, and is going right up there into regular rotation with the TV Mai Tai and DtB Zombie (Spievak version).

When I first started making tropicals the Beachbum way, I was always in search of the simplest recipes with the fewest ingredients because I was never sure I'd manage to make it right. Now I look for the more complex recipes with spices, bitters and herbals because they seem to give the greatest "payoff" for your time, with their many layers and complexity.

I've been wondering if the regulars here at TC could come up with a "lesson plan" for the budding tropical bartender. It would be interesting to go through the recipes and make a list starting with simpler ones that educate the palate about the value of fresh juices and more flavorful rums, moving on to those that use spices and liqueurs and herbals as your liquor locker grows and you get more daring.

On 2007-09-03 12:20, TraderPeg wrote:
This weekend I made the Nui Nui ...
With no hope of finding pimento liqueur, I followed the instructions about the heated infusion of freshly-ground allspice, vanilla and simple syrup. I also used Starbuck's Cinnamon Syrup,
This drink is delicious, and is going right up there into regular rotation with the TV Mai Tai and DtB Zombie (Spievak version).

I have professional ingredients - Wray and Nephew Pimento Liqueur, Starbucks's Sinnamon and Vanilla syrup, and I have to tell you, the drink taste way better with the do-it-yourself heated infusion of freshly-ground allspice, vanilla and simple syrup (I add a dash of cinnamon). When I make the drink with the professional ingredients, its good, but it lacks that distinction that knocks you off your feet. The same with the Pearl Diver Punch. The only reason I use the bottled ingredients is to speed the process up, but after I use the ingredients up, I'm going back to to making my instant Nui Nui syrup. For those who like a milder version of the drink, use the bottled stuff.

To quote the bum: "As long as you can taste all the "notes" of cinnamon, allspice and vanilla, I don't see any reason why you couldn't sub your mix. (The simple syrup and vanilla extract should do the trick for the vanilla syrup; if you're not tasting the cinnamon and allspice, just add more...)"

[ Edited by: telescopes 2007-09-03 17:54 ]

Pages: 1 25 replies