Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tikibelle's Red-White-&-Blue Birthday Beach Burn & Luau - Cabrillo Beach, Sat. July 8th

Pages: 1 42 replies

In celebration of my lovely wife, Tikibelle's (mmhmm)th birthday, we are having an all-day beach-party, picnic, and traditional tiki beach burn at the fire rings at Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro. I'll add maps, directions, etc soon, but I wanted to get this thread posted as a placeholder - Save The Date!

It will be a Red, White & Blue Luau, in honor of the Day of Independance which I believe the Founding Fathers created in anticipation of the birth of my wife, who is the most Independant woman I know, God Bless Her! We will have someone arrive in the morning to hold one of the fire rings on the Pacific side of the narrow isthmus, and I know there are barbecue stations just a short mosey over to the harbor side.

Let's potluck it, and bring your own grillables, plus whatever you'd like to share. I'll bring some extra Spicy Coconut Chicken to share as well. We'll be there the whole day, and as night falls, the fire pit will begin.

Not sure yet about the rules about burning pallets at this beach. I do know there is no alcohol allowed, (Just like Huntington), so we will have to be creative with spiking our punch again (Just like Huntington). Polynesiac is going to look into more of the rules and regulations for the site. If someone would like to donate a tiki to burn, like last year, that would be most appreciated. The cops at Cabrillo haven't learned about us yet, so I doubt that Crazy Al will get carted away to jail. (This is incentive for Crazy Al to attend, hint hint).

I'm hoping that many of you are free that weekend and can join us for the celebration! It should be a memorable one.

Thanks,

Sabu & Tikibelle

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-06-09 18:51 ]

A
Al-ii posted on Sun, Jun 11, 2006 8:58 PM

Kate and I are in
Mahalo,
Al

BooHoo!!! Soccer Tiki has a Soccer Game :( and then we are off to see Hapa

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-06-17 18:09 ]

I think I can.... I think I can....

:tiki:

Yes!

The Mr and I will be there... IF Tikibelle promises to wear her tiara from the Arizona Prom! Should go nice with your bikini!!
We're bringing a few kids, probably, too.
It'll be great to see everyone and soak up some sun!

Kids are welcome!

I'll work on the tiara. Can't promise anything on the bikini. Can't even acknowledged that I read that. Don't objectify me. I am fragile.

Sabu

Wuhl gawldang, that sounds like fun! And I sure do miss you guys. Don't know yet if we can swing it, but I'll confer with Hanford.

I don't if I am 100% sure but I do know that we will try our best to be there with you all!!! Sounds like a good time to me!!!

H

Okay, Hanford and I are in, as long as we can work out a few logistics! What are the options for spending the night down there?

TB

Utopiandreem & I are in!

TBird

Tim,
sounds like a good time hangin' at the beach.
I'm in.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

In! (obviously)

for those looking for a place to stay in 'pedro and if you can't find a friend who'll let you crash on their couch/floor check out this link of hotels in 'pedro:

http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/hotlodg.htm

The pacific inn is the closest to cabrillo beach, but always looks kinda sleezy, the nicest is the Marina hotel and also very close to cabrillo beach.

For those of you worried about Cabrillo beach recieving an "F" on the heal the bay water quality chart...FEAR NOT! that is the inner beach (harbor side - no waves and TONS of cat and bird poop), the outer beach, where the burn will take place, always gets an "A". Tim, don't feel bashful - you bring your bikini, I'll bring my speedo and I'll race you out to the bouy! The waves here usually suck in the summer (we face south), but you can bring your longboard for 2-3 second rides, if ya like.

Parking is $7.00 all day at the beach and usually fills up by 1:00pm on a Saturday in the summer. I suggest parking above the beach and walking down - you'll save yourself a headache. Stephen M White drive (what the beach is off of) also gets closed down to beach traffic when the parking lot fills up, so if you go up 36th street from Pacific you can park in the neighborhoods on Denison Ave and Kerckhoff Ave. The other option is to park at the marina on 22nd street and ride the "trolly" to the beach, but I think that stops running pretty early, so you may want to make arrangements to get a ride back to your car if you stay into the evening.

I still haven't got the official rules and regulaions of what's okay and what's not (so we know what rules we're breaking), but I've seen peopl burn all kinds of crazy shit. If you bring a pallet to burn, please break it up and make sure it's REAL wood with no sealant - cause the fake stuff stinks like hell. and your mashmallow smores then tast like it. Bring a tiki to burn!
It is a dry beach, but it seems as though if you're smart enough to hide your alcohol then you get left alone. People are always having burns on the weekends...that's all I'm sayin' about that. It is 'Pedro, after all.

I work over at the Aquarium behind the beach where we'll be, so be sure to go check out our local"beachy" aquarium that has been around for 70 years. We only have local species and are world reknown as the "education aquarium". and to plug it a little further...we're FREE! it's a suggested donation only (we're funded through the city of LA recs and parks). Also be sure to check out the Cabrillo Beach Bath House that was newly renovated. It's one of the original LA area bathhouses (I think the other one was in Venice), but It's been in here since 1935. I'm more than happy to give little talks about the history of the area before everyone gets too plasterd.....ummm...on fruit juice.

I'll see if I can get some maps and stuff up a little later on.

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: polynesiac 2006-06-13 12:37 ]

On 2006-06-12 19:25, Polynesiac wrote:
I work over at the Aquarium behind the beach where we'll be, so be sure to go check out our local"beachy" aquarium that has been around for 70 years. We only have local species and are world reknown as the "education aquarium". and to plug it a little further...we're FREE!

Yes, it's a great place -- I was a jr. volunteer there waaaaaay back in 1982 when no one had heard of Frank Gehry (yes, he designed it). Don't forget to do the Grunion Dance! :D

Cabrillo aquarium is indeed cool. They have (or had the last time I was there), a relatively large mantis shrimp. Very cool, and brightly colored. Lots of fun, and not a very common aquarium species.

LOVE you guys! I can't wait to see everyone. BTW, it's my 29th birthday; I'm not sure why Sabu didn't say so (My last 20-something celebration.) We also won't be in California for the big 30, so I thought I'd be non-conformist and throw a big party on my 29th instead.

Please R.S.V.P. on evite - http://www.evite.com/app/publicUrl/[email protected]/sabrinabday - so that we have an accurate head count. I want to make sure we get enough plates and goodies to give out. If you have problems, just email me at Tikibelle@gmail and I'll remedy it. If you have questions you can either PM Sabu or email me.

Of Course I'll be wearing my tiara, it's my birthday. hehe
See you there!

We appologize for not being able to make it, but we have a good excuse.
Have fun and Happy Birthday!
Ran & Dale

C

On 2006-06-13 17:28, Tikibelle wrote:
BTW, it's my 29th birthday; I'm not sure why Sabu didn't say so (My last 20-something celebration.)

I would certainly not be ashamed of that number, in fact I would SHOUT it from the mountain tops!

Bealza-Elvis & I are in (plus-2 kidlets).

We will RSVP on e-invite!

Looks like a fun day at the beach!

I went and checked the beach a few days ago. The grills are a short distance from the fire pits, but there are very few grills and they get taken pretty quick. Would a couple of people be willing to bring hibachis or portable grills with them to the party? I'll be there early to reserve a good fire pit, but I don't think I can reserve a grill on the other end of the beach as well.

Thanks,

Sabu

Tim,
I have a home style BBQ about 2 ft. by 2 ft grill but it has legs and wheels, if somebody can help me carry it, we can use that.
Jeff(bigtikidude)
what is the estimated get there time again?
also I didn't go to the e-vite thing, sorry, but I am in.

Bump,
Tim, what time does this type of party go till?
I saw another thread about the Tonga room doin something that night.
Maybe if we all aren't too sunburned or drunk we can make a pilgrimage up there after....
but no guarentees right.

Jeff(bigtikidude)
p.s. please contact me offlist about the BBQ thing.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-07-04 12:16 ]

H

On 2006-07-04 12:15, bigtikidude wrote:

... what time does this type of party go till?

The Tikis burn after sunset. The beach "closes" at 10pm.

On 2006-06-30 18:02, bigtikidude wrote:
Tim,
I have a home style BBQ about 2 ft. by 2 ft grill but it has legs and wheels, if somebody can help me carry it, we can use that.
Jeff(bigtikidude)
what is the estimated get there time again?
also I didn't go to the e-vite thing, sorry, but I am in.

Jeff - I can help you carry the BBQ from your car once you get there - no problem. I'm going to be there very early (7:00am or so) to reserve a fire pit. I'll also set up two 10'X 10' awnings for shade and food storage, so our firepit should be pretty easy to spot.

Like Hakalugi said, some of us at least will be staying until 10:00pm, but the day's schedule is flexible, so feel free to come and go as you like. If you want to stay for a little of the fire, then head on over to Tonga Hut, we won't make you feel guilty. Have fun! That's the motto of the day.

Sabu

Thanks Sabu,
I'm gonna play it by ear, if I feel like driving to LA after hangin at the beach all day, I may go. But I may be too tired and
tipsy, to make the drive up there. Is somebody gonna make a cooler of Lapu Lapus???

Jeff(bigtikidude)

DZ

OK, so what's the deal with pallets? I've got two of them, and if it's a-ok to burn them I'd be more than happy to donate 'em. Problem is they won't fit in my car, so if someone wants to stop by my place & pick 'em up beforehand, just let me know! Oh, and yes, I do plan on being there at some point, probably with my traditional highly toxic (read: alcoholic) TikiCental jell-o...

T

I guess some of you had asked Sabu what I wanted for my birthday, and just for the record, I don't expect any gifts! I don’t NEED anything!

But, if you insist… Here is a list of (mostly) inexpensive gift ideas:

Books: I'd love a copy of your favorite book, whether it's your favorite now, in college, as a teenager or even as a child. I can never get enough books and I love finding out what my friends like. There is also this occasional treat of falling in love with a new author, and then I have you to talk about it with.

Music: Burn me a copy of some of your favorite music, again for the interesting factor. Also I can never get enough music.

DVD's: I created a birthday wish list page
http://www.haackhaven.com/WishList.html

Thanks! I hope this helped. I can’t wait to see you all tomorrow.

[ Edited by: Tikibelle 2006-07-07 07:09 ]

Z -

I'd say the pallets would be kosher. Even if they're not, I'm bringing a hammer and could knock them apart pretty quick. Trouble is, I'm going early in the morning with a pickup truck already full of equipment. Then I need to stay and guard the firepit till folks arrive.

Is there anyone else close to Torrance who could pick up Doctor Z's pallets? If not, I'm bringing some standard firewood and we could probably use more from other sources.

Thanks,

Sabu

Hey Z,
I gotta truck I can swing by and pick them up on the way there.
But I don't know where your new pad is.
e-mail me and let me know
[email protected]

Jeff(bigtikidude)

C

Sabu & Tikibelle,
Regrets for tomorrow, lifes plans got in the way. If something frees up we will skeedaddle on down!

Have great fun! Wish we were there!

~Cyntiki :(

OK, late RSVP, but I'll bring along my family.

-Kristena

B

Hey you Tiki Beach Burn celebrants-

Sorry I can't make it to the Burn (I live on the "other" coast), but I'll be there in spirit.
That is to say, Hakalugi will be wearing my new GlowTiki beads, which I hope will lend their light to the happy occasion.

For more info about the GlowTikis, go to this link: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20184&forum=12&0

Meanwhile, happy birthday to Tikibelle.

BodhiGlass: Real Cool Glass, Made Real Hot!

Happy Birthday Tikibelle!
Looks like a lovely day to be celebrating it at the beach, have a great time!

WoooHoooo! What a beautiful day at the beach :) Soccertiki and I just got home from spending the morning at Tikibelle's Party. Mucho Mahalo to Sabu & Tikibelle for being such great hosts.

Come to the Tonga Hut after the PARTY!!!

Saturday Night Exotic Lounge Event
for
Tiki Central Folks and Friends

LIVE @

The TONGA HUT
12808 Victory Blvd
North Hollywood, CA 91606-3013
(818) 769-0708

July 8, 2006

Saturday Night

8pm-2am

Yes...Your Bartender Kamala will know how to make your delicious exotic cocktails, Trader Rick will be spinning sweet sounds of Tropical Places...exotica, surf, lounge, and more! Wear your Hawaiian shirts, fresh flowers, Tiki necklaces, and "all things Tiki."

Get yourself ready for a magical Mai Tai, a venturesome Voodoo Juice, a titillating Tonga Tea, or something straight up like a Kamala-Kazi!

MAP:
http://maps.citysearch.com/location/325813?

http://myspace.com/tongahut

See you there.

Mahalo,
KAMAKOONGA

H

We had a great time!

The Birthday Tiki Burns:

I had a good time yesterday!!! The Tiki Hakalugi made was so cool!!! I had a hard time beliving he made it just to burn it!!! But it was awesome to see it go up in flames!! FIRE FIRE FIRE!!! It was nice to kick back and joke around with everybody again!!! Thanks Sabu for putting this together!!! And TIKIBELLE I hope you had a great Birthday!!!!!

T

I just wanted to thank everyone who came to share my special day with me. It was a perfect day to be at the beach; not too hot, a bit of a breeze, and a clear blue sky. I was surrounded by wonderful people, and delicious food, of which I ate WAY TOO MUCH! There was good conversation, comfortable shade, 4 cakes, spinning fire and a burning tiki; what more could a birthday girl ask for! I'd love copies of any picture you may have taken, so please post them. Sabu or I will also post any non-tiki central pictures that are e-mailed to us. Then I will compile a website with the best pictures and post a link.

Thanks again for making my last twenty-something birthday such a blast! Love you guys!

Happy Birthday! I had a great time visiting with you, Sabu, Mom, and all the TCers. Mrs. Fury was bummed she missed it but was there in spirit.

H

We were loooooooooong overdue to catch up with our Southern California friends! We're so glad we were able to make it. I'm bummed that I didn't start using my camera until later in the afternoon, I missed getting pictures some of the folks who had to leave early, like Al-ii, Tiki-Kate, ookoo lady, and Krustiki. Also, my timing is rotten -- I went to use the bathroom (which was astonishingly bad, even for a public restroom), right when Hakalugi's tiki was burned! So, no pics of that (thanks for posting your pics, Hakalugi). It's probably just as well -- that thing was far too beautiful to be burned, and I might have leapt into the fire after it if I'd been there.

Here are my pictures:
http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/tikibellebday/

:down: King Kukulele shows off little Princess Kukulele!

:down: The evening's sacrifice, courtesy of Hakalugi:

:down: Sabu & King swap tales of maniless, as the women go baby-crazy in the background:

:down: Speaking of Sabu's manliness, here he is providing meat to the masses:

:down: The always-lovely Vintage Girl:

:down: bigtikidude mans the coals:

:down: Mah luve, Hanford Lemoore:

:down: Advice columnist extraordinaire, Dr. Z:

:down: Dr. Z's Tiki Central hat -- I'd never seen one before, he said he got it years ago on Cafe Press;

:down: Bongofury, who always seems to be 100% fury-free:

:down: Solo Carbon Caliente!:

:down: Bongofury, Sperm Whale, Whale Rider, and Floratina:

:down: Atomic Cocktail, Floratina, and Vintage Girl:

:down: Our new friend WinoTiki makes the scene:

:down: Floratina and the birthday girl, Tikibelle:

:down: My lovely Tina Tina Floratina and me:

:down: A close-up of the fire:

:down: Fancy chemicals make the fire extra pretty:

:down: Floratina and her freckled friend:

:down: The moonlight on the water as we're packing up:

Thank you so much for such a wonderful day at the beach! I miss all you guys.

Looks like a good ol' burn! Lot's of Old timers! We we're going to try to make a sneak attack but we had a major flea infestation that we had to deal with ( Waikiki for 9 days and our house/hut was a Spa for the suckers!! all locked up and hot!!!). 4 days for bombing!!! Anywho, looks like Dr.Z and Bongo Non-Fury were there for us. Happy B-Day to Mrs. Sabu too.

Thank you Humu for the stellar pictures!

Hey!!!! I never said "thanks" and "Happy birthday" to the special event organizer and b-day girl! I had an AWESOME time, thanks for everything! It was cool to chill at cabrillo for once.

Pages: 1 42 replies