Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: The real Royal Hawaiian Lapu Lapu recipe

Pages: 1 6 replies

None of the other posted recipes for the Lapu Lapu are even close. Here it is:

A brandy sniffer of shaved ice. It won't taste the same without shaved ice.

A splash of simple syrup. (available at "Smart and Final")

A splash of orgeat syrup. (also available at "Smart and Final")
This is what gives it that Almond flavor. Amaretto is a nice substitution.

A splash of passion fruit syrup. This is what makes it different from a Mai Tai. (Usually available at "Smart and Final")

Two shots of light rum.

A mixture of 60% pineapple juice and 40% orange juice. (instead of orange juice, try tangerine "Naked Juice" from Trader Joe's)

A floater of dark rum. "Myers" dark rum is not dark enough. Use "Whaler's" (available at Trader Joe's) or "Trader Vic's" dark rum.

Cheers. Aloha.

TP

sorry Im not an experienced drink mixer. could you tell me how much a splash is, a floater, and how much of the OJ and pineapple juice mixture is added. oh and how big are the shots. not sure what the measurements are in this recipe. thanx

A splash of simple syrup, orgeat syrup, and passion fruit syrup, is about a teaspoon each. two shots of rum means two ounces. It's a standard shot glass measurement. The amount of orange juice and pineapple juice (60% pineapple juice, 40% orange juice) should fill up the glass almost all the way to the top. Leave just enough room for the floater. The floater is around two more shots (ounces) of dark rum. whatever you do, don't use Myers or some other so called dark rum. You need the really dark rum, like Whalers or Trader's Vic's. Try Trader Joe's naked juice for the orange juice, or even better use the tangerine juice. It's an even better drink than the Royal Hawaiian if you use fresh juice.

All together, there is around 4 shots of booze in a brandy sniffer sized glass.

TP

thanks , really appreciate that.
aloha!

Cats big boy and Tiki Pop!
We definitely got to get together for a tai sometime.

H

I just made some Lapu Lapu, came out great, I just added some fresh lime juice to it. Thanks for the recipe.

Today they used Lahaina dark as a floater.

Pages: 1 6 replies