Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

In Portland Next Week -- Antique/Thrift Tips?

Pages: 1 4 replies

I've been sentenced to attend Intel Boot Camp next week, and will be in Portland, OR from Mon - Thurs. I'm planning to visit The Alibi, 'natch, and I'm also going to try and stop by the Freaky Tiki Retro Deck, and Velveteria before I leave. I arrive on Monday afternoon, and would like to spend a couple of hours thrifting and antiquing before I check in at my hotel. Any recommendations from the natives as to where I might find some Polynesian Pop artifacts?

Mahalo in advance!

RB

"Home Ec" on SE Hawthorne has new and used tiki and vintage stuff. There are several vintage/antique places along Hawthorne.

Hey, thanks RB! I'll definitely check them out. Stopped at Stars on Milwaukie this afternoon and scored a mini Mai Kai mug, an Orchids of Hawaii Warrior Mug, and a Westwood Moai mug, plus a bunch of cool swizzles.

RB

Dang, we probably crossed paths and didn't know it! I was at Caprial's Bistro for a graduation party for one of my daughters. I've never been in any of the Stars antiques places...from the outside they never struck me as the type of place that might have tiki. Now I know better...d'oh!

I usually have good luck at large antique malls like Stars. The prices suck compared to thrifts and garage sales, of course, but they typically have a better selection and variety.

I got stuck in traffic while driving downtown and missed visiting Home Ec by about 5 minutes, so I just had to content myself with looking through the window at their nice collection of mugs. I've been so busy since then that I haven't had a chance to go back...:(

Pages: 1 4 replies