Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Anybody here remember the New Zoo Review?

Pages: 1 30 replies

D

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_MXlk6YMi4&search=new%20zoo%20review

'they have fun learning what they don't know'

"New Zoo Review, Coming right at you"

I think that's how the theme went...yikes.

MT

Emmy Jo was hot!!!

But Doug was a wanker!

I mean, c'mon, look at that evil grin, combined with that Errol Flynn moustache - creepy! Was he the first card carrying member of NAMBLA, or what?!?

I always thought the frog was creepy because he wasn't wearing any PANTS! But Henrietta Hippo ROCKED!

Did you guys know that Doug and Emmy Jo are MARRIED in real life? And Chuck Woolery played Mr. Dingle? It's true!

http://www.hollywoodinvestigator.com/newzoorevue.htm

D

And Chuck Woolery played Mr. Dingle? It's true.

I don't remember that character, but I do remember 'Mrs. Goodbody' who had anything but a 'good body. More like 'Mrs. Oldbody'. Chuck Woolery, FYI was also the first host of 'Wheel of Fortune' before Pat Sajak. Anybody remember that?

Unfortunately, I don't think that show ever made it across to Ireland, but this one did, although I'm having trouble placing the exact episode...

Unfortunately I remember "New Zoo Review" very well, having the same first name as the Frog. I still get that theme song stuck in my head when I'm tired, I had it happen last week, and right this very minute, too, thank you very much!

I sing that song to my sister to piss her off! I thought I was the only one who ever watched it! We would have to stay at Nana's during the Summer and I would wake up at 5 AM. The only thing on was New Zoo,That's Cat (can you find Me in this picture?- ugh!), Big Blue Marble and then, (my fav, I'll admit!), Banana Splits.

On 2006-06-12 10:04, freddiefreelance wrote:
Unfortunately I remember "New Zoo Review" very well, having the same first name as the Frog. I still get that theme song stuck in my head when I'm tired, I had it happen last week, and right this very minute, too, thank you very much!

My brother! You and I both. Also, how many times did kids at school ask, "Hey Fred, where's Wilma?", or do you remember the old Mrs. Carl's Bread jingle, "Bring home the Mrs. Carl's Bread, Fred!"?

I wonder if Nick At Night might show the Zoo Review stuff? Sometimes they show wierd things like that.

Emmy Jo was pretty hot and Freddie Frog had a cool pad. If I remember correctly, it was underground and had and underwater view of the pond. However, Freddie was obnoxious, Charlie was a jerk, the Hippo now reminds me of Tammy Faye Baker. Even as a kid I knew that Doug was a total dork. And their Theme Song and music SUCKED BUTT!! Not even Emmy Jo could save that dud.

On 2006-06-13 17:03, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
(my fav, I'll admit!), Banana Splits.

Me too!! The Banana Splits were super cool. They had crazy cars, great series and they rocked! Tra La La is still one of the best theme songs ever written for television in my book. I had a mad crush on the girls in The Sour Grape Bunch and on Becky Thatcher in The New Adventures of Huck Finn. The Banana Splits Adventure Hour Ruled!

Uh-oh,
Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

I

I grew up with the Banana Splits. In fact I'm reliving my childhood now. Just bought a six wheel ATV. Just need the costume now.

That's Cat (can you find Me in this picture?- ugh!)

Hey -- I liked those! He was always hiding in something by George Seurat or Winslow Homer. But the rest of that show (especially "Grandpa") was an endless source of childhood trauma.

AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't get that stupid song out of my head now!!!! Aggghhhhhh, Agghhhhhhh, Agggghhhhh.........

Emmy Jo did have cool white Go Go boots. The Banana Splits were cool. Does anyone remember Sigmond and the Sea Monsters?

TTT

On 2006-06-12 00:11, Mai Tai wrote:
Emmy Jo was hot!!!

Can you believe they have been happily married for 30 years?

I was a big Banana Split fan. Audio

C

Yeahhhhhhhh! I'm watched all those when I was a wee lad myself in the 70's. Don't forget about "Dusty's Treehouse" or "Whitney & the Robot."

I just rented the DVD of multiple episodes of The New Zoo Revue for my 3 year old girls. Henrietta Hippo scared the poo-poo platter out of them.

It was good though to see Emmy Jo shakin her rump in those white Go-Go boots again. Now I see why my ol' man made "special time" to sit with me & watch every Saturday morning. Good times...good times.

W

The New Zoo Review is proof that not all the kids TV was better back then. We watched it regularly at our house and it seems we did so mainly cuz we pretty much hated everything about it. Calling someone one of the character names was always a good insult, and we'd make up new mean words for the song and sing it in a loud mocking way.

Still, maybe what the world need now ain't love sweet love but more human + giant weird puppets TV shows. Is Ang Lee still plannin' a big screen adaptation of Lidsville?

On 2006-06-18 08:45, woofmutt wrote:
Still, maybe what the world need now ain't love sweet love but more human + giant weird puppets TV shows. Is Ang Lee still plannin' a big screen adaptation of Lidsville?

Oh, the HUMANITY!

T

So what does the avid Yard Sale hunter do on a weekend? That's right got a couple of Tiki's, but this is the real find of the weekend don't you think?

Sweet huh? & I paid a whole dollar so it's no laughing matter.

Tikisgrl

Good god! Have you no shame?!

Like I needed those images dredged up from my childhood. :wink:

Regarding kids tv, the one show that still drifts across my thoughts from time to time is Land of the Lost. This is one show that is just crying to be remade into a major summer blockbuster. Just look at many of the top summer from the last ten years: Alien films (there was an alien in a crashed ship), Dinosaur films (these were everywhere), Freaky Monster films (one word: Sleestaks).

Now if one of you out there writes the screenplay and sells it, just keep me in mind when the paychecks start rolling in.

T

Speaking of having no shame I guess someone already had your idea about a Land of the Lost big screen production: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457400/

Guess they are having trouble getting it off the ground!

& yes I have no shame!!!

Tikisgrl

Speaking of New Zoo Revue....Emmy Joe was hot!

Well, I am off to therapy now.

Hello, all!

I have to admit, I only found this forum due to my using google to search for "That's Cat." I grew up in L.A., and suddenly remembered the theme song to it on my way to work this morning. I couldn't help but join in so I can make my comments about "The New Zoo Revue".

I had no idea that they were selling that show on DVD. I guess I just found my wife's Christmas present now!

I also noticed that there was no mention of that video that was circulating the internet a few years back, with the famous fiasco on-set. Anyone remember that? Charlie the owl and Freddie were having some sort of conversation when out of nowhere, it goes totally vulgar! You can tell the crew had no idea they were going to do this, with their laughter in the background. But, it's on YouTube if anyone is interested. Admittedly, it's by no means PC, nor appropriate for work nor children! But, if you're still interested, it's out there. And it's hilarious.

Now... if anyone knows where I can get more information on "That's Cat", or another show mentioned on here earlier, "Whitney And The Robot", I'd be very obliged!

D

I also noticed that there was no mention of that video that was circulating the internet a few years back, with the famous fiasco on-set. Anyone remember that? Charlie the owl and Freddie were having some sort of conversation when out of nowhere, it goes totally vulgar! You can tell the crew had no idea they were going to do this, with their laughter in the background. But, it's on YouTube if anyone is interested. Admittedly, it's by no means PC, nor appropriate for work nor children! But, if you're still interested, it's out there. And it's hilarious.

Get the wax outta your eyes dude....that's why this thread was started in the first place. The first posting is that clip.

Forget the rest The Banana Splitz Rule! Did any other cool band ever cover that stinkin' New Zoo Review theme song?

And don't ever forget about theThe Bugaloos! Caroline Ellis (Joy Bugaloo) is lookin sweeter than nectar. Look out Emmy Jo.

Chongolio with nothing better to do on a Friday night

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

Okay.. I'll admit it. I watched all of these programs..faithfully and I liked 'em, darnit!

I am however convinced that it was because of these:

Just look at them. You know they had SOMETHING in them to make you want to sit thru those shows.

Now I want to watch The Bugaloos and eat Zingers. Terrific.

Now I want to watch The Bugaloos and eat Zingers. Terrific.

I always thought Dolly Madison snack cakes lead to craving The Charlie Brown Chistmas Special.

** Okay all of you Banana Splits fans out there. Mai Tai and I bought a Banana Splits tee shirt in London a few years ago. Someone swiped it. Haven't found anyone producing them since. Not even in eclectic Berkeley or SF. Does anyone know of any B Splits tee shirt producers? **

(my fav, I'll admit!), Banana Splits.

Message from Mai Tai below:

Me too!! The Banana Splits were super cool. They had crazy cars, great series and they rocked! Tra La La is still one of the best theme songs ever written for television in my book. I had a mad crush on the girls in The Sour Grape Bunch and on Becky Thatcher in The New Adventures of Huck Finn. The Banana Splits Adventure Hour Ruled!

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2006-11-03 11:50 ]

On 2006-06-18 08:45, woofmutt wrote:
The New Zoo Review is proof that not all the kids TV was better back then. We watched it regularly at our house and it seems we did so mainly cuz we pretty much hated everything about it. Calling someone one of the character names was always a good insult, and we'd make up new mean words for the song and sing it in a loud mocking way.

Lidsville, oh my gosh. that show was an acid trip for kids - I remember all these shows with a complex blend of nostalgia and sickness.... a true love/hate scenario. Like HR Puff-n-Stuff, (Witchiepoo really got on my nerves but, all things considered, our tv only got 3 channels; what was a kid to do?)

Back to the NZR, here are the lyrics:

Theme to "The New Zoo Revue"

La-La-La-La-La-La-La, La-La-La-La-La-La-La

It’s the New Zoo Revue, coming right at you...
Where three delightful animals have fun with what they do.

We learn with our friend Doug (our friend Doug!)
I'm his helper Emmy Jo (Emmy Jo!)

With Freddie!
Charlie!
Henrietta!

We have fun learning what we don't know.

Delicate and feminine is Henrietta Hippo.
Very wise and very smart is Charlie the Owl. (Whooo!)
Lots of spark with lots of parties, Freddie the Frog.

It's quite an unusual thing, the animals talk and sing...
With Doug and Emmy Jo, everyday's a different show!

It’s the New Zoo Revue, coming right at you...
It’s the New Zoo Revue, coming right at you!

CL

Alternative Viewing: :D

One banana, two banana, three banana, four
Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more.
Over hill and highway the banana buggies go
Coming on to bring you the Banana Splits show

Making up a mess of fun, Making up a mess of fun
Lots of fun for everyone

Tra la la, la la la la, tra la la, la la la la

Four banana, three banana, two bananas, one
All bananas playing in the bright warm sun,
Flipping like a pancake, popping like a cork,
Fleagle, Bingo, Drooper and, Snork

Lots of fun for everyone

(background singer - La-----aaah!)

Two Banana, four banana, one banana, three
Swinging like a bunch of monkeys hanging from a tree
Hey there everybody won't you come along and see
How much like Banana Splits everyone can be

Lots of fun for everyone

D

Is that shaving cream on her face of a pearl necklace from Freddy the Frog?

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2006-11-03 15:52 ]

Thanks for the funny posts everyone!

We really got a laugh from that clip! :lol:

Pages: 1 30 replies