Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Halibuts surf band at Pitcher House in Hermosa Beach Sat. july 17th

Pages: 1 9 replies

The Pitcher House on PCH in Hermosa Beach is closing soon(end of July).
That night at 9 pm South Bay Surf Legends from the 80's and 90's,
The Halibuts are going to be do their annual reunion gig.
They mix up a great blend of 60's style surf, with 80's stlye Ska.
The palce always goes wild, and people dancin all over the place an on the bar and tables. You don't wanna miss these guys.
If you haven't been to this bar you've got to see it before it goes away. Not tiki or tropical, but tons of cool stuff on the walls, and hundreds of old lp sleves on the ceiling.
Oh there is a giant Moai head on the roof of the place.
and they do have booze now, not just beer like before.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

If you can't get there you can always listen to Devlar Surf Sessions while on this site!
http://www.live365.com/stations/surfinstro
INSTRUMENTAL SURF, ROCK, SPY, SPACE, HORROR, TIKI, LOUNGE, HOT RODS & GARAGE - ALL DRENCHED IN REVERB!! ** CELEBRATING OUR 5TH YEAR ON LIVE365!! **

Jeff-
I thought you promoted Devlar Surf Sessions!?
Moon

The Halibuts kicked ass last night!! It was good to hang out, goof off, and dance like an idiot. I am going to miss the Pitcher House!!

On 2006-06-17 20:56, Moondance wrote:
Jeff-
I thought you promoted Devlar Surf Sessions!?
Moon

I know of it, but don't promote it, why?
I should listen but don't.
Is this Ray?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2006-06-18 09:57, The Sperm Whale wrote:
The Halibuts kicked ass last night!! It was good to hang out, goof off, and dance like an idiot. I am going to miss the Pitcher House!!

Spermy glad you had a blast acting like a idiot :) good times.
this is my thank you from the Tiki Events page that I posted.

Thanks to Sperm Whale, and Whale Rider, Sabu the coconut boy,
Dr.Z( hey Was your better half there),Laney, and her friend( sorry if I missed anybody).
For making it over to the Pitcher House to Check out the Halibuts.
After our few hours at Tony's on the Redondo Pier, After the Aloha Cruz show.
They did a cover of Hawaiian war chant, and the sax player used Coconut shakers on a couple of songs. All the more proof of the
Surf/tiki crossover. They also did covers of "Taste of Honey"
Exodus, and The Good, Bad, and the Ugly. But they really shine
when the just open it up and let it rip surf ska style.
Spermy and Laura were cutting a rug with some of the hard core fan/dancers.

Thanks again guys, hope you enjoyed it.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

MA

Wow the last time I saw those guys was at a friends wedding at the Torrance Airport! They sounded great! When the my friend [the groom] got up & sat in w/them later on in the night with his SMOKIN! guitar work, they sounded even better!! Gonna miss the picher house,anyone know whats gonna happen to all that cool junk in there?

I was really suprised that your friend(the groom), and his wife,
weren't there as they have been Long time Fans of the Halibuts.

I e-mailed him, but he didn't reply.
By the way I saw him play with a band called Pacific Blue for his B-day a few months ago in Long Beach.

Tell them they missed a killer show.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Well,he works pretty hard so I'm not suprised he didn't go. Heck Jeff,just tell him bout the show next time you see him. Or, maybe next time you see the bride. Hey did you guys know that in the 50s the mayor of Hermosa was the owner of the Picher House. He would purposly sell warm beer to the truckers so they wouldnt drink very much. He was worried about thier driving. Every xmass he would have a huge tree in there. Us kids were allowed to go in & see it. It was a big deal back then, there were long lines of families waiting to see it. Some great music was played in there,like "Cliche OK","The Big Jerks"?!! Man Im really gonna miss that place.

Hey Mouse Art,
When I saw Them a month or so back I told them about the Halibuts upcoming show,and they seemed excited. I told them I would e-mail.
I only see them at Halibuts shows. which is only one a year now.
There are 40 or 50 surf bands in So. Cal. but they don;t go to see any of those.
oh well,

I saw old pics of the X-mas tree back in the day. and they still do put a tree in there. Though, not as big now.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pages: 1 9 replies