Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Ti is fantastic

Pages: 1 13 replies

Hello fellow Tiki enthusiasts. I recently moved to LA and happily stumbled onto Tiki Ti. What a great place! I heard about it from a bartender at Trader Vic's in the Beverly Hilton. I love all things Tiki and understand that sometimes a group goes on Wednesday nights to Tiki Ti. I would love to go to to this, have a Zombie and meet some other folks interested in Tiki Culture. Please drop me a line if you have any info on this.

Thanks
Marconius

P

Wish I could join you! My boyfriend and I were travelling in CA a 1 1/2 years ago and we grabbed a cab out to Tiki Ti's especially (although unfortunatley we hadn't eaten anything and didn't last very long!)

It's such a great place and the guys who run it are really nice...

Wierdly enough I think it was a Wednesday when we went, and I remember some people who had bought along their own tiki mugs :)

R

Hey all -
This thread might be a good place to ask: my girl and I are going to be in LA in late July, and we wanted to be sure we hit Tiki-Ti. She used to live near there but was never able to get in... although she wasn't into tiki then like we both are now. We're from the DC area and definitely want to hit this legendary establishment.

So my question is: for folks who might be in LA from a Thursday thru a Saturday, can you offer up any tips to improve our odds of getting into Tiki-Ti?

My assumption would be to show up for opening on a weeknight (eg. Thursday in this case, if possible). Other than that - if we have to go Fri or Sat, what would you suggest?

Mahalo for any advice you can offer!

~Rupe

On 2006-06-16 07:25, rupe33 wrote:
Hey all -
This thread might be a good place to ask: my girl and I are going to be in LA in late July, and we wanted to be sure we hit Tiki-Ti. She used to live near there but was never able to get in... although she wasn't into tiki then like we both are now. We're from the DC area and definitely want to hit this legendary establishment.

So my question is: for folks who might be in LA from a Thursday thru a Saturday, can you offer up any tips to improve our odds of getting into Tiki-Ti?

My assumption would be to show up for opening on a weeknight (eg. Thursday in this case, if possible). Other than that - if we have to go Fri or Sat, what would you suggest?

Mahalo for any advice you can offer!

~Rupe

My best suggestion is to get there right when it opens up!! It opens at 6:00pm or a little before that. Me and my wife usually eat at the Mexican Restaraunt "El Chavo" either before or after the Tiki Ti. Oh yeah - bring cash because the tiki ti and el chavo both take cash only.

My wife and I went to Tiki Ti about a year and a half ago after watching Shag with a Twist. We had a blast! We had to wait outside for about 20 min's or so, but it's a great little bar. I forget what I ordered, but it was on the recommendation of another patron. Well, I think the drink was so strong it clouded my memory. The only thing I remember is that as they were making it, everyone in the place, including the bartender, started yelling "Torro...Torro...Torro!!!" as he poured the last bit of alcohol from a bottle with a bull head on the top of the pourer and he didn't stop until everyone stopped yelling! Whew!!! It was strong. Can't wait to get back there again. Anyone remember what they call that drink anyway?

Ah, the Blood & Sand! I could go for one right now. For additional fun next time try the Uga Booga!

I don't get up there as often as I like, but I've also found that going early (6 - 8 or so) means walking right in with no wait and often even getting a seat at the bar.

try "ray's mistake"...it was then owner ray's suggestion when i first went to tiki ti as i stood looking at the drink menu for 20 minutes.....it's also customary to bring an offering...most of the trinkets behind the bar are given to them by customers as a form of appreciation.... over the years, when ever i dropped in, i would leave a little tiki carving or necklace. I usually signed and dated the back of it for posterity..it's always a hoot to still see them up there collecting dust, right where ray or mike put them when i handed it to em'........enjoy!!.

Some time ago, Martiki and I got in to the Tiki Ti at about 6pm.
We found a spot and didn't move for 8 hours. The most amazing elixers being brought before us. Blood and Sand...Ugga Bugga...For the first time, I really understood Tiki. The balance of the ingredient. The multi-faceted tastes. It truly was an experience. We drank and discussed Tiki until 2am and somewhere along the way, we cheered to creating a very special Tiki bar... Forbidden Island.

[ Edited by: Conga Mike 2006-06-17 10:46 ]

The Tiki-Ti actually has a fantastic website that gives out a lot of information and their operating calendar. Be sure to run your mouse over the tikis at the top of the page:

http://www.tiki-ti.com/pages/home.html

I loved my visit to the Tiki Ti last june. I have some terrific pictures of Mike pouring a Blood and Sand, as well as several others, which I've attached below.

The first shot of drinks being poured is the ones that we ordered. To be honest, I have no idea what I had, I simply can't remember. But I didn't have one of the Giant Ku Tiki Farm mugs, so I paid the $10 extra to get my drink in one.

The other shots are simply of the interior, to give a sense of just how cramped it is! Plus I added the one of my wahine, and some others of random patrons. Hope you like them!

Chris

[ Edited by: Kona Chris 2006-06-20 20:29 ]

Wow. that really brings back some great memories! thanks for sharing the pics. :)

Good to see the Ti. Haven't been in too long . And my mug is still there!

Yes, T-Ti is the best place ever!

Above:My artsy shot of Tiki-Ti in motion

Above:The greatest Father/Son team in all of the Tikiland!

My hats off to the "Mikes" for keeping the torch lit and Ray's dream alive!

On 2006-06-22 17:19, Bamboo Boyd wrote:
Wow. that really brings back some great memories! thanks for sharing the pics. :)

Sure! I've been meaning to post those for the past year, and just never got around to it. I'm a world-class procrastinator. Glad you liked them :)

Chris

Pages: 1 13 replies