Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Ka'anapali, Maui 2006

Pages: 1 12 replies

Krustiki and I just returned from a week in Maui. We stayed at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel, which calls itself Maui's Most Hawaiian Hotel. It features a very impressively large (maybe 20') tall tiki on a lava rock pedestal.

The buildings have these cool ship's bow design.

There are some other nice tikis in the area.

And some really bad tikis, too.

Tiki Bob checks out a sunken ship in Lahaina Harbor.

Having a few drinks at Cheeseburger in Paradise.

On Friday night, we walked past an art gallery that features Tony Curtis's paintings, and he was putting in an appearance that night. He was pretty amiable about signing autographs and letting people take pictures with him. Then someone who actually bought one of his paintings wanted him to sign his name larger on the painting. Mr. Curtis had a hissy fit and walked out. His assistants apologized, saying he was in his "diva mood".

[ Edited by: ookoo lady 2008-03-14 11:59 ]

Aloha, Ookoo Lady,

Thanks for sharing - excellent photos.

Are there still a number of plumeria trees in the middle?
Did the hotel build ocean front cottages?

The hotel has a huge courtyard full of shady fragrant trees, a great place to hang out when it gets too hot on the beach. There's probably a couple of acres of green area, with scattered lounge chairs, picnic tables, and palapas. There's even a giant checkerboard, with coconuts for game pieces. It has a very relaxed feel. I didn't see any cottages.

There are about a dozen hotels along this stretch of beach, with a boardwalk between them and the shore. As we walked along the boardwalk you could see that all the other hotels have filled their courtyards with concessions and activity centers.

[ Edited by: ookoo lady 2008-03-14 12:05 ]

yeah, right on, thanks for sharing. Brings back mems of our stay next door at the Westin Maui, and the boardwalk, and surfing and pig luau, and bikinis and mai tais, and those warm trade winds, and the whaling town of Lahaina and.............sigh.

love the pic of Krustiki underwater with the Bob

On 2006-06-18 19:15, Jungle Trader wrote:
and the whaling town of Lahaina and.............sigh.

I remember staying at that hotel when I was a little girl. Was such a lovely place to me. The whaling town was just incredible.

.. I'll add my sigh to the chorus

One of the highlights of our trip was that we were able to have dinner with Stentiki and his lovely wife Tina. They were in Maui for a few days, then went on to Lanai.

We had a great time, and I can't wait to see their photos!

[ Edited by: ookoo lady 2008-03-14 12:05 ]

We played "soccer checkers" there many moons ago. Glad to hear it's still there. Makes it easy to hold your drink. Killer place. Rock on!

Ookoo and Krusti,

Good times on Maui with yous!

Thanks for the pix and having dinner with us -- The Lahaina Store Grill and Oyster Bar has a fantastic rooftop oceanview with tiki torches and great fish.

We'll be posting some pix of our trip soon.

Love that photo and Krusti and Tiki Bob!

Ookoo,
I'm here in Maui right now as well, and will be on da Islands until the end of the month! I'm doing my rounds and making tons of contacts, meeting lots & lots of really nice and welcoming people!

Pics will be coming soon....well, actually when I get back home in July!

[i]On 2006-06-18 09:46, ookoo lady wrote:

There are some other nice tikis in the area.

And some really bad tikis, too.

Where were these tikis located - were they near the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel?

OL

Where were these tikis located - were they near the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel?

The first one is at the Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, which is along the same boardwalk as Ka'anapali Beach Hotel.

The other one is in Lahaina.

On 2006-06-18 09:46, ookoo lady wrote:

Krustiki and I just returned from a week in Maui. We stayed at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel, which calls itself Maui's Most Hawaiian Hotel. It features a very impressively large (maybe 20') tall tiki on a lava rock pedestal.

I had breakfast every morning at the Tiki Terrace, looking out at this magnificent tiki and enjoying the tiki mugs used as vases and the two tikis near the entrance, while munching on the tasty macadamia nut pancakes.

Pages: 1 12 replies