Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Creating while buzzed?

Pages: 1 14 replies

I threw a party this weekend and several of my friends asked if I had a drinking problem? I asked why (of course)? They proceeded to explain that someone so creative must drink/_______ alot for motivation. I told them that for me catching a buzz was a recreational activity that actually does not help me be more creative. It does help me think I'm more creative than I may be or that my ideas are better than the truth. But once I sober up, I realize that I was definately hammered when I was working. So for me - a sober mind runs faster and more creative. Many famous artists have had issue with substance abuse - but were they buzzed while coming up with their ideas? This ran into a long debate and I began wondering if others out there experience this as well?

So here's the question. Do you partake while creating? and Does it help or hamper creativity?

M

I party & create simultaneously. Does it help? Probably makes the work seem less like work, however, the blood runs faster when cuts occur.

Mahalo

Generally my creative juices flow with multiple stimuli. Yes opening a bottle of red wine is a ritual - 1 or 2 glasses while creating is relaxing, helping the brush to move more freely. By the way I found my Dega Hawaii Luau mugs to be perfect for red wine - a nice size and stable as to prevent a tip-over. Music is as just important. Typically I listen to less invasive music, erratic tempos and gouging lyrics can be a distraction. I have connected my computer to my stereo and play lounge tunes via Live 365.com or similar internet radio offerings. My favorite station is Vegas Vics Tiki Lounge - a nice selection, non repetitive. Movie soundtracks are a great source also. Once the sun sets, I'll step it up a notch - another glass of wine, or if I'm creating Polynesian art, then I'll fill a tiki mug with a Mai Tai like concoction, and turn the music up a little louder. Now the late night early am story, Some nights you just cant sleep and the pressures of the day have bottled up inside you like a volcano, ready to blow. At these moments, the music goes up real loud and you may find me singing along to Dean Martin, and opening another bottle of wine. Now the brush moves with such creative energy, you'd think it was self-propelled! Upon waking up the next day, after a couple hours of needed rest, I usually look at the canvas, and have to grin. With a few corrections of color or perspective, I am satisfied and delighted with the process. Can't wait to paint today!

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2006-06-19 09:41 ]

Well, I always joke that is why Jackson Pollocks' paintings look that way! Not that he was a brilliant "action painter" but he was too drunk to hold his brush! I can never get into the zen mode while drinking so I think I fall into the "/______" category! The funny thing is, since I work late at night, sometimes my best productive period is when I'm ready to turn in! I've turned off my music, shutting everything down, then, as I'm walking past my painting, I notice something about it and the next thing I know, I've been painting in complete silence for about an hour! That's zen to me baby!

There is definitely a difference between drunk and relaxed. Jackson Pollock was often drunk but usually worse when he wasn't succesfully painting!

PLUS

EQUALS

Here's a quote from Jackson Pollock website - Pollock himself was uninterested in labels or definitions; he simply wanted to authentically and freely express his emotions. When asked about technique he replied, “It doesn’t make much difference how the paint is put on as long as something has been said. Technique is just a means of arriving at a statement.”
BambooBen - guess us painters are fortunate our tools have a soft tip!

I found out very early that drinking (even light drinking) doesnt work well with carving or power tools.

I found that if I had a beer while carving that my ability to judge pressure and technique diminished. I was chipping out chunks of wood, my cuts werent as clean.

Kick back on the table saw. In general my judgement was just slightly off. Just off enough to make mistakes that I wasnt happy with later.

It doesnt help me.

I was told that when carving drunk always swing for the "chisel in da middle". And never carve you own wood!

But are ideas and creativity stimulated by a healthy buzz?

In my own experience the carved tiki pens were a product of a Garage Buzz. Meaning that I was hanging with some friends working on the lathe when the idea hit me. Execution was a different matter. When illustrating - ideas come when sober.

L
Loki posted on Mon, Jun 19, 2006 12:15 PM

I believe ideas flow easier when buzzed, The 'Eureka' syndrom. As stated, execution should wait till your drunken ass sobers up. Ben showed it best with the pics.

Now, take the non drinkers. BenzArt doesnt drink and look at what he comes up with...Think i'll jump on the wagon. :wink:

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jun 19, 2006 7:43 PM

Sometimes I'll have a Bourbon and Coke or 2 to relax a little. But I don't get anywhere tipsy, let alone drunk. I always like to chuck on some music though. This'll depend on my mood at the time. Some Metallica if Im in a foul mood, through to Blues if Im just enjoying myself.

I wish I could find the exact story and post it here, but I will reconstruct it as bast I can.

A famous jazz musician occasionally led recording sessions with other jazz musicians and his stern rule was: "no being high while recording."

Well, one guy was obviously high during a session and the jazz musician said dude, this ain't right. I'm ready to throw you out of the studio.

Stoned jazz musician: "Being high makes me play better, man. If you don't believe me, try it yourself."

Boss jazz musician: "Okay. I'll bite. I'll smoke your reefer, and if it makes me play better, I'll admit I was wrong."

Boss jazz musician smokes the reefer, plays his trumpet out of the bottom of his heart, and then:

Boss jazz musician: "Holy smoke. I've never played better than that! I was totally wrong about being high while working!"

Stoned jazz musician: (glumly) "Uh ... actually, I was wrong. You played like shit, boss. Sorry. I won't show up for work stoned again."

Body painting + drinking = fun

That's not what you meant though, is it. :)

hell, I wouldnt touch a power tool without a drink in my hand.if I got cut while sober, it might hurt.

G

What did the Grateful Dead fan say when he ran out of reefer? "Man, they really DO suck!"

Pages: 1 14 replies