Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Disneyland ORIGINAL tiki necklaces pictured here...

Pages: 1 7 replies

TS

Hello again all, I was going through some of my stuff I had put away, and I ran across these necklaces I had since I was a kid. They are from the Adventureland Bazaar in the early to mid 70's. They used to have the coolest trinkets in the earlier days!!!I don't have much info on them other than they had about 6-8 different tiki necklaces with different colored rinestone eyes. Nothing to do with horoscopes I don't think...Does anyone else own/remember these, or recognize the likeness of any artist that was doing jobs for Disneyland's Adventureland Bazaar?

D

very cool! did you live in so cal and visit disneyland often?
gosh i dont think i own anything from when i was a kid...

THose are way cool

Yes, Born in Manhattan Beach,CA and now I live in Redondo Beach, which is about a 30-45 min drive down the 91/5 fwy to Anaheim(Disneyland). I got those when I was about 6-7 years old. I remember to this day standing at the Adventureland Bazaar and staring in amazement and awe at all the exotic "loot" that store had! I mean I can't clearly remember most of the stuff they had, but i remember they had the different necklaces, and real rubber snakes, not the plastic ones, Also I seem to recall they had bamboo cups and tiki salt/pepper shakers as well. Alot of the stuff they had for sale was not massed produced like it is today... so, many gifts from those days are pretty rare items indeed. I was talking to Josh(Shag) about the necklaces, and as I recall he has them all that lucky artist guy!(lol). I've tried looking for them on the net for documentation, but nothing so far. I think it would be really cool if TCrs came forward, and shared their info or knowledge on some of the really cool stuff that the Disneyland Bazaar used to carry. I think it would make for a very enlightening subject/discussion since their isn't anything about any vintage(55-early 70's) merchandise from Adventureland. Even vintage Pirates of the Caribbean merch from the "One of a kind" store as noted on a "Discontinued Disneyland" website A Blast to the Disneyland Past. That is truly a timewarp website about Disneyland. For the sensitive viewers, have tissue readily available!hahaha...but anyhow it really sucks to have lost some cool attractions/storefronts in the park....

T

Maybe Auntie Bungy knows something about them! Might be after the Hedley's era though. I can't remember when they closed up shop at DL.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jun 23, 2006 1:39 PM

I got some of the same style necklaces as late as 1985 or so. One now oversees my shaving stuff in the bathroom. They were cool because they had fake gemstones implanted in their heads, and little cards attached describing what kinds of Gods they were. (Lono; God of Truth, etc.) The necklaces were the same as you'd find in Hawaiian tourist shops, imported from Hong Kong.

They seemed to vanish when the South Seas Floorshow/Dinner was turned into Aladdin's Storytime Theater next to the concession you're talking about. There was also a pro-Christian movement within the Disney organization that seemed to sweep through the entire park (in about 1992?) getting rid of anything that suggested voodoo, pagan religions, skulls, drugs, and debauchery. I'm not kidding, an imagineer tipped me to this, there are lots of examples of things they took down; the most obvious was a New Orleans shop called the "Bat & Rouge" that sold a lot of real voodoo materials. The bat-sign is still there if you look for it.

TS

Cammo, could you post some pics of the ones you have? I'd like to remember what the others look like! And I didnt know they had them until 85 or so....I got mine in the later 70s. And those dam religous groups, i tell you i just dont get it! Make the Pirates more "politically correct"...WTF was so politically correct about being a pirate in the first place!? Disney buckles too easily to appease small groups of "do-gooders". Now I suffer, because I enjoyed the ride as it was intended...If I dont like a ride, I dont go on it! Unfortunately there are groups of people out there who apparently know what is best for me, and protect me from things I should not see or partake in. :lol: ...well it really isnt :lol: but it happens all the time, I lose my rights and freedoms everyday to nonsense! I am Sorry about the political rant, but it really irks me when groups of "do-gooders" mess with the mouse!

B
bungy posted on Sat, Jun 24, 2006 1:56 PM

We closed Island Trade Stores in Bazaar in about 1960, I think your tikis necklaces pictured were possibly sold at the Hwaiian wear shop directly behind us. They also had a shop in Plam Springs.
Our tiki necklaces were made of the newly invented some kind of ployurathane mixed with volcano ash. They were black (no stone eyes), and hung on a black plastic ribbon.
Your desecription of the Bazaar was right on. When I got back from sailing to Tahiti and beyond for nearly 3 months, and was picked up at LAX and taken to Disneyland and Bazaar.. I will necer forget the exotica feel. Each shop ran into each other and sometime s the customers had a hard time figuring out where to pay. Ours was jammed apcked with stuff from all over the South Pacific. Daddy had been a South Seas Island Importer since WWll, and had some good contacts. Our warehouse space smelled like the South Seas!
Auntie B.

m

o

Pages: 1 7 replies