Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Can't find my shingle stain

Pages: 1 8 replies

I am requesting the Trader Vic shingle stain recipe from any of you who might have it. Thanks.

Shingle Stain
from Trader Vics Bartenders Guide

Juice of 1 lime
2 dashes Angostura bitters
1/4 oz Grenadine
1 1/2 oz cranberry juice
1/2 oz pineapple juice
2 oz Trader vic mai tai rum*

Shake with ice cubes. Pour into ten-pin pilsner glass.
Garnish with fresh mint.

• if Mai Tai rum is unavailable substitute
    1 oz of Jamacian rum (like Appleton estate)
    1 oz of Martinique rum (like St. James)

Thanks CaptnKirk. I am goin to make one tomorrow. I borrowed an old recipe book Trader Vic published in the seventies and copied all the best drinks out of it, but the shingle stain was overlooked. Thanks again

I mixed the shingle stain recipe with the ingredients noted although I used Trader Vic's dark rum instead of his Mai Tai rum. The cranberry I used was not ocean spray and I encourage anyone attempting to mix this drink to use Trader Joe's "100% Cranberry" which is exactly what it says it is. If you do not have access to a Trader Joe's store then I guess use the Ocean Spray that is not a "cocktail juice." But due to the tanginess of the Trader Joe's cranberry mixed with the lime juice, just a dash of grenadine makes this a very nice "dry" cocktail that was nicely complimented by the Trader Vic's dark rum. Very refreshing and light, as it calls for only an ounce and a half of rum, which is a nice change of pace as trying to perfect the Navy Grog has my liver screaming for dear mercy.

R
rupe33 posted on Sun, Aug 6, 2006 7:33 AM

On a visit to Trader Vic's Emeryville location, I noted what appears to be kinda cheeky original artwork devoted to the Shingle Stain on display in the men's room...

A bit closer up ---

Pretty cool stuff: would look great on a drink mix label...

Mahalo!
~Rupe

S

Just passing along the image.

I turned it for the nicer side up...

Tiki Calendar for 2008

[ Edited by: Swanky 2008-03-25 17:28 ]

Depends who you talk to, Swanky...

I always liked the ingenious concept of this drink decor: A little hut roof over your cocktail to stick a straw through. To explain the cut-outs in the flat scan above, here it is set up. The four slits fit over the rim of a Zombie-style glass:

The Shingle Stain apparently underwent some evolution. The drink details in the 1972 Trader Vic’s Bartenders Guide, cited above, describe a somewhat different animal from the recipe in the 1946 Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink:

Shingle Stain
Now don’t take a shingle off the roof. This is really good. No fooling.
1/2 lime
1 ounce dark Jamaica rum (Red Heart or Myers’s)
1/2 ounce St James Rhum
1/4 ounce Pimento Dram
Dash of pomegranate syrup (grenadine)

Shake with cracked ice and pour over cracked ice in a 12-ounce Chimney Glass.

Pages: 1 8 replies