Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Central Ontario Thrift Scores! Plus, pineapple mold question!

Pages: 1 13 replies

T

Just got back from a day long trip up to da north, eh? Got myself a Disney Polynesian Village Mug for a buck (I know all the cool kids already have one but this fairly common fella has eluded me until now), a Fiji printed tablecloth from the 50's with scenes of island paradise in action, 2 Merimekko tableclths, and a metal pineapple shaped mold. There was other stuff too but I won't bore you.

Anyway, my question is - seeing that I don't eat gelatin, what the hell can I make in my pineapple mold? (I'm not really into Tuna Loaf much either.)

Anyone have any mold expertise they'd like to share?

H

I've seen metal pineapple ice cream molds on eBay, do you think it would work for ice cream?

T

I don't know! I have an ice cream maker, so I could make the ice cream, pour it in the mold, and see! Good idea. don't know if it would come out in 1 piece though, or stick to the mold.

D

Spray some non stick cooking spray into it, it shouldn't stick, or after the ice cream is set up in the mold and your ready to pop the ice cream out, dip the metal part of the mold in some warm water, that should release it no prob. If the molded part of the ice cream comes out and is a little melted just stick it back in the freezer for a couple O seconds, it should be ok!

T

I never cease to be amazed at the collective fountain of knowledge that is Tiki Central. Thanks!

D

You could use the mold for making candles(house warming gifts), large soap?, jello, or do like that sardine can you showed us on ebay. Fix a little shelf in it and do some cool wall hanging(maybe).

D

Or also as a ice form for a punch bowl for a party.

..wall hanging.. yeah! I mean, even if I never use it to cook with, it still looks nifty on the wall in my kitchne. I'm off to find my hammer and nails!

you definatly can get a vegetarian version of gelatin, I think its a seaweed-by-product.

T

I have bought it already, but never used it! It is called agar-agar, and it comes in a wee packet that looks like coconut flakes. Only problem is, it didn't come with instructions! So I never bothered to make anyting... it sits in my cupboard, intimidating me with it's exoticness and mystery. I suppose I should do some web research and figure out how to use it... cause it would be fun to make vegetarian jello!

T

Agar-agar? Yep that's veggie and any good biologist should tell you that it's the perfect medium for doing bacterial cultures. Not that that means its going to give you some weird disease, but thats' all I've used it for before. But then again a case of Norwalk just after the Festivus feast might do me good. I ramble, it's what I do.

I don't know, agar agar sounds like space alien food. They want you to eat it, and it turns you into a Zombie that monotonely repeats "Agar, Agar!" while walking at you stiffly with arms raised.
Only when blinded by the reflection of light from a metal pineapple mold can they be stopped!

OR it is all you can mumble to your husband who has just stormed into the kitchen after he heard the dishes hit the floor, as you are clutching the edge of the kitchen table trying to pull yourself up, your face distorted from stomach cramps, after eating a whole fake Jello pineapple:
"Aghh-arh, A-garrr..!"

Hey Tiki Guy....I don't think the agar for growing bacteria cultures is the same unless there are other sources...Many years ago I worked for a company in Torrance that supplied the Petri dishes with agar in them. The agar they used was definately not vegitarian...4 of us cowboys would go to the meat packing house in L.A. to take a quart of blood from sheep before they were slaughtered that the lab would then separate the plasma from the blood for the.....agar.

Soylent Green is........people....

[ Edited by: bongofury on 2002-12-23 21:43 ]

T

http://thestar.com.my/kuali/recipes/dessert.html

Recipe for Mango Pineapple Agar Agar Jello! Wheee!

Also, the Ninja Turtles look entertaining. For those who are dying to know more about the miracle food we call agar-agar... "This additive is used as a texturizing agent, emulsifier, stabilizing agent and thickener in ice cream, sherbets, jellies, soups, sauces, canned soups, and canned meat & fish. It is used as a clarifying agent in winemaking and brewing, to fill the pores in cloth and paper manufacturing ('sizing'), as a medium for growing bacteria; in dentistry and cosmetics; film and adhesives. It is prepared from several species of red algae (or seaweed). It is a vegetable gelatin, and is therefore used by vegetarians because true gelatin is made from calf's feet."

In other news, I bought a Trader Vic's adam and eve mug today, plus 2 Vic's ashtrays for 16 canadian clams (11 or so US) for the whole shebang. You california types probably think I paid to much, but up here, I takes whut I gets. Also found some lovely original Star Wars curtains (hello Ebay!) and a COOL cowgirl outfit for a little girl (also on Ebay - If you know any little cowgirls who want one, I'll give you the URL).

Oh, shit, I'm rambling.

Pineapple Recipes, Bacterial Cultures, Trader Vic's and Cowgirls all in one post. That's gotta be some kind of record.

Pages: 1 13 replies