Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My first carving. Suggestions appreciated!

Pages: 1 5 replies

(preface)
I've searched for a better spot to post this, but this has been the best I've found. I hope it's in the right place.
(end preface)

This forum is awesome. I can't believe there's so much info in one place.
My pics aren't the best, but hopefully they show enough detail to get some feedback.
I based the face on a tiki done by Trent Smith (Island-tiki.com) but I kinda made the nostrils a bit small & the lowel lip is WAY too far south.
The frame around the pineapple up top was something to give it a little more height, and I freestyled the body from other stuff I liked. It's hard to see the tummy & b00bs I gave him, but his booty is righteous!
I want to detail it a bit more (toes and such). Then try the firepencil thing. Then on to the stain.
This is from a 2" diameter poplar dowel rod. The skinny xacto is brutal on the fingers!
I saw the info on the hook knife & I'll probably pick one up tonight.
It was a bit ambitious for a first try, but I'm pretty happy with the results.
Thanks to everyone for posting their work here. It's been an inspiration.
I'm done rambling.
Your thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.
m-

T

First Carving? That's pretty danged nice for a first one or any for that matter! I like the pineapple! Nice goin! I'm a newbie too - there's some really nice stuff here, and great ideas too!

L
Loki posted on Wed, Jun 21, 2006 8:18 AM

Aloha,
Full body, nice design...awesome first tiki indeed. Working small like that aint easy. Glad you found this wonderful group of people and we look forward to seeing more of you work. You will find many talented and helpful carvers here.

"He who does anything because it is the custom makes no choice."
Tiki Jam 2

[ Edited by: Loki 2006-06-21 08:20 ]

B

MoMike, Excellent first carving from what I can see. You are right in that it is Very ambitious, but you pulled it off easily! Congrats and WELCOME to TC.
Here are your pix a bit bigger.

hey,
i'm in south florida. how are you learning? did you take a class??etc i'm very interested in learning this art and are having trouble finding anything about how to books classes etc.
any info i would greatly appreciate.
thanks,cliff

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 3, 2006 8:20 PM

Thats an awesome effort for a first go man :)

Nice, post more!

Pages: 1 5 replies