Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Enchanted Tiki Room turns 43!

Pages: 1 2 replies

From Tiki Talk, the Enchanted Tiki Blog (Hot Lava's Blog):

Today is the 43rd anniversary of the opening of the Enchanted Tiki Room at Disneyland and the attraction is still as popular as ever. The first show to make extensive use Audioanimatronics®, it has been many a wide-eyed child’s initial introduction to tiki culture and spawned sister versions at Disney’s Florida and Tokyo parks as well. I grew up on The Tropical Serenade, as the first show at Orlando’s Magic Kingdom was called, but the California original holds a special place in my heart.

The attraction has a fascinating history: financed and operated by Walt himself, it was supposed to be a sit-down restaurant up until a week before opening day—the chairs inside are still the originals, purchased in 1963 to sit around tables and bolted together into rows as a last minute kludge. Imagineer Rolly Crump, who had never sculpted before, had to sculpt many of the tiki garden gods, the fountain, and the birdmobile as lead-Disney sculptor Blaine Gibson was busy with other projects.

As a birthday tribute, here’s a couple of interesting tidbits from the attractions history:

Download mp3 of Tiki Tiki Tiki Room song from Toyko Disneyland | Link to classic Disneyland postcards | Link to great photos on Tiki Central

Ha! It was cool listening to the song in Japanese...my 6 year old came in and I asked her "what is this song?" She said "from the Tiki Room Dad!" I said "Are you sure...keep listening to it..." She started paying attention to it and after a few seconds gave me a quizical look...

Was just there a couple of months ago, for my 43rd bday, didn't realize we were the same age!!

Pages: 1 2 replies