Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Tarzan Collection on DVD

Pages: 1 4 replies

T

I read an interesting review of this DVD set here:
http://www.slate.com/id/2144181/
I suppose if that link ever became inoperative in the future it could be found by searching within:
http://www.slate.com/
I think a lot of it touches on topics of interest to many tikiphiles. Let me cut and paste a few lines from it:
Not one of the six films in The Tarzan Collection (Warner Home Video) is very good, but the unit of adventures reveals much about our naive conception of "purity" as it arrives in popular culture, where "something wild" always offers an answer to the problems and dilemmas that attend modern living.
He has an unpolluted consciousness in which everything is upfront and clear as the summer sun. Underneath it all, of course, is a sense of sex and love that cannot exist in Europe with the same kind of freedom. That might well have been the attraction of the series for adults...
One cannot hope to comprehend the curving path of American popular culture unless the visions of paradise lost and paradise regained are assessed.

Not to stray too far off topic, but I read an artical in last weeks paper that Cheetah (Tarzan's simeon companion in all his early movies) is alive and well at age 74 and living in Palm Springs. He likes to kick it poolside and sip Diet Coke. Ahhhh...the Golden Years.

I still like 'em. In the early one(s) Jane swims nude and I dig Tarzan jumping off the bridge in NY. Oh, and that cool treehouse.

These were wonderful movies. Living in the jungle in a fabulous tree house, sailing through the treetops on vine-ropes, summoning the animals to help you with a secret jungle call. What's not to like?

I particuarly liked how -- when the principals were captured by a jungle tribe -- a few of the load-bearers were hideously executed first, in order to show you what awaited the white people, should Tarzan not make the rescue scene in time.

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin 2006-06-27 23:00 ]

My Sis got me this collection for Christmas last year. I am pretty sure she picked it up at Costco. There is some really great native and wild life scenes. The pigmy natives aremy favorite. Although crude compared tothe special effects used now, they are still totally cool. I have watched each one several times and will pop them in with the sound off and play music over them while kickin' back with friends and havin' drinks. Here is the thread on on Cheetah livin' the life of an artist in Palm Springs.

Pages: 1 4 replies