Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

PotC ride updates! Updated! Now with more Pictures!

Pages: 1 4 replies

Review from The Disney Blog:

Pirates Rehab, spoilers ahoy!
Disneyland has been letting select cast members ride the new "Johnny Depp" (excuse me... Jack Sparrow) enhanced version of its classic attraction Pirates Of The Caribbean. LaughingPlace.com board member Westsider (a reliable insider at Disneyland) posted a spoiler filled account of his trips through the attraction.

Overall I am very, very impressed with how this rehab turned out. I was concerned about the Depp-ification of the ride, but I think they handled it just perfectly. There's certainly new stuff to see, and new faces spouting new dialogue, but it's all meshed perfectly with what has always been there.

There has been a lot of anxiety about these changes, so that is good news ... if you want to be spoiled read Westsider's complete comments below the fold and the original thread (with more comments from others) on LaughingPlace.com.

One interesting note from the thread "WDI used Johnny's life mask from the movie to sculpt the AA so it should be an exact likeness," Leemac claims. Leemac is also a reliable source. So I'm looking forward to seeing the Jack Sparrow AA.

So I've been on the new Pirate three times now. They are letting Attractions CM's ride the attraction now, we just have to promise not to take pics with our cellphones or anything.

Mild Spoiler Warning!!!!

Overall I am very, very impressed with how this rehab turned out. I was concerned about the Depp-ification of the ride, but I think they handled it just perfectly. There's certainly new stuff to see, and new faces spouting new dialogue, but it's all meshed perfectly with what has always been there.

The removal of the 1997 rehab figures and scenes is also a breath of fresh air. Aside from the Politically Correct junk that gone jammed in there, those World of Motion figures never quite gelled with their environments in my opinion. The lone exception being the conquistador guys they added to the Fort around '00. But the new stuff and new figures really meshes nicely with the original surroundings.

WDI added quite a bit of new props and eye candy. And someone in Imagineering must have gotten a really good deal on wood barrels and boxes, because there are dozens of barrels and boxes everywhere now from the loading area on through the entire ride. Maybe the townspeople were going to open a 19th century version of The Container Store or something? Who knows what WDI was thinking with all the barrels.

The new Johnny Depp scene on the lift hill really turned out nicely, and I think it's a much better ending to the ride than the contrived "moral to the story" that they tried to shoehorn in there in '97.

The Davy Jones effect is cool, but nothing too over the top. Your boat floats right through the mist screen, into his image, and on through the transition tunnel. It's certainly an improvement over the dark cave that had been there since '67, but I couldn't help but wonder what it would have been like if they had also installed the AA skeleton just past the mist screen effect.

What impressed me the most, as someone who has ridden the ride probably over a hundred times in the last few years, was the amazing quality of the new audio. You can hear things that you never heard before, and individual lines and sound effects ring out as clear as day and really make the more complex scenes play much more effectively to the passing audience. Some of it is attributed to the hundreds (220 of 'em!) of new speakers that have been installed, and some of it is the digitalization of the original analog audio tracks. Combined, along with new audio added for the new figures, really makes the cacophony of sound that often bombarded riders make much more sense. The audio will blow you away!

Lighting is also much improved, and the overall effect is a much crisper and fuller look to the scenes and set pieces.

The funny thing is that management is insisting that the CM's don't refer to Johnny Depp as "Johnny Depp". We can only say the words "Jack Sparrow" when referring to the new figures in front of Guests. We haven't heard yet what we are supposed to do if a Guest says the words "Johnny Depp". Maybe call for Security?

Overall, I think the redone Pirates ride is going to impress people. It's not radically different of course, it's just a really nice overall freshening with a few added bonus items to make it more relevant to the majority of riders who have seen and enjoyed the movies. The people who maintain that the ride has been ruined with these changes will become very quiet within a couple of weeks, and will probably be slinking into the very long line with the rest of us.

Posted by John Frost in disneyland | Permalink

Video (shot in nightvision, so it's a little dark). And Pictures from the ride & movie, plus some artists renderings.

And just for fun: French Pirates!

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-06-28 17:59 ]

on top of that, when i bought my coco-puffs, they had been depp-fied too! sadly the marshmellows do not taste like rum.

thanks for the update, freddie. It doesnt sound too bad, I guess. Seeing as we really have no say in the matter. I like barrels and boxes. Glad there's more of 'em.

Johnny...I've seen that image before...somewhere....where o where was it?

My marshmallows didn't taste like rum either. They were more like polystyrene. I understand that's an ancient pirate creation.

A

Kate and I are going Tues evening about 7:30 who's in?
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Al-ii 2006-06-26 22:07 ]

From a two part review of the PotC 2 Red Carpet and Ride on MousePlanet.com:

Part 2: The New Ride

MousePlanet staff writer Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix was the first person on our staff to experience the new ride and what follows is her account and thoughts. In the photos you will notice that some pictures were taken using flash. We want to emphasize that these were taken under special conditions during a press preview of the ride; you should not use flash photography when riding Pirates of the Caribbean, as it is very annoying to other guests.

If you're interested in what some of these new scenes sound like, we do have video showing segments of the attraction. Due to the low lighting, however, most of it is too dim to make out much detail. The sound itself is interesting enough, however, for us to make it available anyway. You can download that here (WMV file, 9.2MB).

With that, here is Adrienne:

When I reviewed the first Pirates of the Caribbean film in 2003, I concluded by saying, "You expect a movie based on a ride to incorporate elements from that ride, and Pirates does so beautifully... To watch this movie is to see the classic ride come to life, and future generations of tourists may not know which came first." Three years later, Disney Imagineers have blurred the line between ride and film even more, adding Jack Sparrow and crew to the classic Disneyland attraction.

Some Disney purists have been howling in protest since the changes were announced, and the real die-hards may still find fault with the renovated attraction. But most people we've spoken to think the changes are well done.

In media materials, Disney states, "The classic theme park attraction that inspired the blockbuster films—now the films inspire the classic attraction. When you enter the building, the first thing you might notice is that a painting of Captain Jack Sparrow has been added to the wall of the queue area. But relax—it will be a few minutes before you see him again. A new map has been installed on the beach across the water, showing Isla Tesaro, the location of the search for Captain Sparrow.

An updated beach scene and treasure map greets both arriving guests and riders finishing their tour. Photo by David Michael.

A closer look at the treasure map shows it to be leading the way to Isla Tesaro from the first movie. Photo by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.

The ride beings as it always has, boats float through a swampy marsh and past the Blue Bayou restaurant. The ambient light dims as you approach the first archway, and by the time your boat has reached the talking skull, you can't see the person in front of you. The first drop is in total darkness, which will be a surprise for those who have never ridden Pirates before.

At first glance, the cave sequence looks much the same, but you begin to notice new background music: "Yo Ho, Yo Ho" played in the style of a funeral dirge, heavy on the organ. Around the corner is the first really noticeable enhancement, new lighting effects on the skeleton at the wheel. The treasure caves have been greatly enhanced—Disney says there are more than "400,000 new shimmering gold coins and set pieces," including the original movie props like the Aztec chest from the first Pirates film. Keep an eye out for the new parrot in the Captain's bedchamber.

The completely redone treasure room displays all new items from years of piratical looting. Photo by David Michael.

As your boat continues through the grotto, the familiar "dead men tell no tales" refrain is answered by the ghostly voice of Davy Jones, (whom we will meet for the first time in the second Pirates film, to be released on July 7.) A "waterfall" appears to cascade over the entrance from the grotto, and then the image of Davy Jones (voiced by Bill Nighy) appears in the water. This is a terrific effect, and acts as a sort of "curtain" into the attraction's famous battle scene that follows. Once clear of the waterfall, you find yourself immediately in the midst of a battle between Captain Barbossa (voiced by Geoffrey Rush) aboard the Wicked Wench, and the besieged Spanish seaport. Cannon balls seemingly whiz past your head and land in the water beyond your boat, and the entire battle is set to the familiar rousing soundtrack from the Pirates films.

The new mistscreen effect showcasing a warning by Davy Jones has been very well-received. Younger children, however, may find it too realistic. Photo by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.

Around the next bend lies the classic dunking scene where poor Carlos is once again being interrogated, this time as to the whereabouts of Captain Jack Sparrow. And just ahead, our first encounter with the good captain. In press materials, Disney Imagineers waxed poetic about the amount of work that went into creating the full body audio-animatronic, and the attention to detail is amazing. Every aspect of the figure is spot-on, from the facial expressions and body language to the hair and costumes. It's difficult to pry your eyes away as you pass the auction scene, and under the bridge.

At first glance it appears that the dunking scene has been untouched except for some new dialog. Photo by David Michael.

But who should be watching from nearby but Jack Sparrow himself. Photo by Frank Anzalone.

Here we find the infamous chase scene, and yes, the men are still chasing food and the women who hold it. But our friendly drunk pirate has traded in his turkey leg and tankard of ale for a treasure map and a key. Jack Sparrow peers from a nearby barrel, trying to read the map over the pirate's shoulder.

The pillaging scene is mostly untouched except for one pirate who has had his food replaced by a key to a treasure chest. Photo by David Michael.

However, there is again a surprise as Jack Sparrow pops up from a nearby barrel, eyeing that key. Photo by David Michael.

The burning city scene is much as it was, though the flame effects have been replaced and are much more striking. The dirty-foot pirate and singing parrot are back in place, as is the pirate with his piggy friends. The jail scene and armory battle are essentially unchanged, and then we come to our final encounter with Captain Jack. This time he is sitting amid a king's ransom, having located the city's treasure vault. This figure was voiced by Johnny Depp, and bids you farewell with a final chorus of "Yo Ho, Yo Ho."

The final scene used to be two pirates trying to lift a bunch of treasure up the final hill. Jack Sparrow has taken over the spot however, and now sings a bit (voice provided by Johnny Depp himself) and shares his thoughts on how lucky he has been to get the treasure. Photo by David Michael.

For all the doom and gloom predictions of the uber-fans, Disney has done an extremely respectful job in melding the film and attraction storylines. The traditional Pirates music is still dominant in the attraction, classic scenes have been left alone, favorite characters like the auctioneer and red head are right where they were when the ride closed for refurbishment in March, and the added Pirates film story elements feel like natural extensions of the existing premise. In short, you have nothing to fear from these pirates.

Alex Stroup married his way into being a Disneyland fan and he is somewhat bemused to realize he somehow ended up the CEO of MousePlanet. In addition to that godlike power he also reviews newly released movie, coordinates MouseAdventure, and picks up odd jobs here and there. To keep track of current and future Disney movies, keep an eye on his Disney Movie Guide.

Pages: 1 4 replies