Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

DIY Custom Tropical Bamboo Blinds

Pages: 1 14 replies

M

Last year Swanky and I had plastic blinds on our side porch that had a bamboo look. They were great for shading the porch and for privacy - they were also quite effective at blocking out an awful street light. Over the summer the plastic became quite brittle and eventually fell apart. This year we opted to buy the real thing and bought matchstick bamboo blinds ($9.99 at Big Lots). They look great but we quickly realized they provided little shade and no privacy.

This is a shot of the matchstick blind at one end of the porch - Before

We decided to look for some inexpensive fabric to attach to the blinds to make them more useful. We thought about just getting some cheesecloth or checking for deals at fabric stores. Then a few weeks ago we went to Target and were browsing their clearance items when I found a really great (cotton) tropical shower curtain on sale for $13.98 and it just happens to be the exact same measurements (72x72). We wired the metal grommets to the bamboo rod at the top. I had hoped we could just leave it that way so it could be taken apart and cleaned, but it just billowed like a sail. So, one can of spray adhesive later...

Voila! Very cool, custom bamboo blinds. From the street they look like ordinary blinds, it makes for a nice surprise when you step onto the porch. They now work great to keep out light and wandering eyes. They completely changed the look and feel of our porch - making yet another space in our home tropical. We ended up buying three of these shower curtains in all so our entire porch is surrounded with this design. We are planning to go back and purchase the coordinating door mat as well. So if anyone is looking for a way to spruce up your blinds make note that a standard shower curtain should be the same size if your blinds are 72x72.
I tried to find pics on Target's site but no luck. The collections/style name is Ipanema leaf.

T

Hey that looks great! Good job. Now you can sit on your pourch naked and have that drink.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jun 27, 2006 7:46 PM

Nice :)

P

ad from the 50s

M

I LOVE THAT!!!!! Than you for posting that pic! That is fabulous!!!!! I was disheartened that my first real post went unappreciated - you made it worthwhile!!!Maybe you just have to see it in person, it is very cool... totaly changes the look of our porch! Thank you PDrake!!!!

K

&MsSwanky, I was ooo-ing and aahh-ing over your fabulous creation yesterday, but couldn't think how to express my admiration coherently.

Necessity being the mother of invention, I'm always intrigued when someone can put two two together and get five. Finally, I remember the phrase that eluded me yesterday, "The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts."

I think your Tiki Central debut is simply smashing!

Dig it!!!

Just saw your posting, and thats exactly what I need for my tiki hut to help block the sun and still add some fun (not just plain bamboo). Thanks for the fantastic suggestion, MsSwanky! Now I need to find a suitable shower curtain...

• Myke
8T

It's beautiful and quite clever! I guess I didn't see the porch because when I was there we entered from the back of the house. Anyway, great solution. Have you started converting the yard with tropical plants yet???

looove the monsteras - great idea

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jul 3, 2006 6:25 AM

On 2006-06-30 20:02, 8FT Tiki wrote:
It's beautiful and quite clever! I guess I didn't see the porch because when I was there we entered from the back of the house. Anyway, great solution. Have you started converting the yard with tropical plants yet???

Hell yeah! Come on over to the luau on the 29th and see what is now 6 types of palm trees and 3 types of banana in the yard! And we unbelievably found this 2 foot Monstera at Home Depot on sale for $3 yesterday! I think the porch is gets too much afternoon sun for it to live there all summer though.

B

I wish I could have made it.

Ms Swank, nice to hear from you again, the blind turned out Fantastic!..You been doing any more carving? Why not? Post some pic's.

Ms. Swanky, those are beautiful, what a great idea....

Amy

Hey MsSwanky,

I'm so glad you did that. It turned out great. I've been thinking about trying that for a while but I didn't know if it would work so I never got around to it. Now you've inspired me to go ahead and give it a go. Thanks!

cheeky half

G

Very nice mod to the blinds! We've got two matchstick bamboo blinds like that behind our outdoor bar both for ambiance and to block the view of the neighbor's house. But like you said, they don't block too much. I'll keep an eye out for a pattern that I like and just might follow your lead. Thanks for the great idea!

Pages: 1 14 replies