Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

My first Uke

Pages: 1 8 replies

I figured between my wife, my 4 kids, my 50+ hour a week job, yard work, learning Hawaiian, home improvements, carving, writing, drinking, eating and sleeping I had waaaay too much free time on my hands. So I decided to fill in all those empty moments by playing the ukulele. :wink:

I ordered this Fluke Ukulele online and I love it! I've been playing guitar for a lot of years, so it wasn't a huge jump to the uke, although my fingers still want to play the old chords they're used to.

Here's a question for all you uke players: Do you play with a pick? I bought a couple of felt picks with the uke and I hate them. They want to spin or flip out of my hand because I can't grip them the same way I would a guitar pick.

I'm looking forward to playing with some of you folks at the Hukilau. :)

Sweet bro. I have no music talent at all. I bought a cheap uke first and found out I suck. Such is life.

Peace

Aloha Braddah,
I see that our little talk at the Lagoon Lounge was not for nothing. The Fluke was an excellent first uke choice and you will dig it. As we talked at the Lagoon ,if you need any charts,info,help just email any of us. The pick thing can go either way as I prefer not using one to Josh always using one. He has a line on some good pics(if you decide to go that route) that I'm sure he will turn you on to. Let me know your email address and I'll send you the chart for "on a coconut island" for starters Ok ?? We do expect you to Jam with us next time you are down here !!!
Stay in touch my friend....
Aloha
Joe/Haole Kats

hey..send ME some charts...I got the PIGNOSE ver. of a ukelele a year ago & need some inspiration to butt-kick me into learning the thing...its a kinda cheapie one so I need to get the string config right so it'll stay in tune...but I've played guitar for over 20 years now so I gotta improve...gotta learn those IZ songs--that guy could WAIL.

Hey Finkdaddy, Welcome to the wonderful world of Ukulele. You will probably find it somewhat addicting (as if tiki wasn't enough.) There is a ton of info and links here on TC pertaining to the uke. Just rev up the search function and start browsin'

As for fingers and picks, personally I prefer my fingers for strummin' and pickin' on the uke. I think it has a softer and mellower sound to it. Although when playin' a guitar I prefer a pick. But I say go with whatever works for you and have fun.

Hey Whoolycat, I wouldn't mind getting a hold of the "Coconut Island" chords too. I searched a round a few times onlinefor them and always came up with nada. Maybe if you have the gumption you can post them on TC for us all.

Here are a couple of my favorite links and threads that offer info and music on the "jumpin' Flea."

Songs & chords from TC members

Interactive Chord Finder and Sing-a-longs

Tiki King's site

Jim Beloff's Ukulele forum

Jake Shimabukuro's online lessons

Aloha Chongolio.

No problem on the charts... The Kats in the band made these up and we don't mind sharing them at all. Maybe between now and Hukilau we could have a Uke-out in the
courtyard at the Cabana... let me or the other Kats know if you have any questions!

Mahalo
Aloha
Joe/Haole Kats
Will get them out sometime in the next 24....

[ Edited by: Whollycat 2006-06-28 09:22 ]

HL

Count me in with the "plays guitar with a pick and uke with my fingers" crowd.

You get a different sound depending on whether you hit the string with your nail or the fleshy part of your finger.

U

Always fingers, never a pick. You can use your index fingernail and pad, your thumb, the tips of all of your fingers (sticking your little finger out per Emily Post) and get lots of different sounds. I play guitar too and nearly always with a pick but never on the uke. I booked my Hukilau room at the Cabana hoping to pick up some late night uke jams. I hope everyone brings their axes!

I'll be at the Cabana too with mine. This is gonna be fun!

Pages: 1 8 replies