Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Polyurethane or Thompsons Wood protector?

Pages: 1 4 replies

T

First post,
I have a palm Tiki that I would like to keep in good condition. Will Mini wax Spray Poly do the trick vs brushing on Thompsons?

thanks!

I have not used minwax or thompsons water before, but I have used spar varnish or also known as marine varnish. I bought mine at home depot and its made by berr (sp?).
Good luck and post pics....

Whatever you put on it, especially if it is a cabbage palm, you need to slather on until it's soaked into the outer layers. Especially the spongy part in the middle of the cut ends...

T

Thanks!!

It's made of Coco Palm, I will try some Poly on it this weekend. I live in So. CA and only keep the tiki poles in the backyard from May to Oct. Once we get rain they come in the house. I don't need super protection.

I only have a small collection of (9) tiki masks, poles, half poles.

They range from the masks I picked up at Home Depot a couple years ago to the nice monkey pod wood pieces I got in Maui last fall, and my latest 4.5 foot tiki.

Lot's of nice info here.

L
Loki posted on Thu, Jun 29, 2006 5:12 AM

I have found the spray is just not thick enough on a large raw piece. Like BK said, the palms will soak it up so be generous with it. I often use the spray as a quick in between coat. In hot sunny Florida, you have to coat often.

Pages: 1 4 replies