Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Kukulele Presents: Tiki Taix XXIV on June 30th, 2006.

Pages: 1 8 replies

Friday June 30th, 2006 10PM No Cover

Leave the June Gloom behind you and spend the evening at Tiki Taix. Celebrate with King Kukulele the wonders of June! New Life! Foreign Adventures! And the most expensive Mai Tai party in history!

The Friki Tikis return to Tiki Taix with King Kukulele right on the heals of a worldwind tour of Europe ending at the London Luau in Trader Vic's. Join in the fun and hear the music of the London Luau including new songs and special stories of the great Tiki jungles beyond the sea. Take a look at poster art from Italy, France, Holland, and England and find out about the final tour catastrophe and why King will "Blame it on the Moai."

AND

Dominic Priore, author of The Dumb Angel #4: All Summer Long magazine returns with rarities from his vault! This month you'll see more footage from Dominic's urban archeology adventure at "The Tikis" in Lake Elsinore. Also, from 1967, footage from the film "The Day The Fish Came Out" a mod beach movie filmed in Greece featuring the dance "The Bosstella" plus more fun film footage to come.

ALSO

This month we feature the work of a great unsung hero of the Tiki world, artist, sculpture, archivist and museum curator Kevin Kidney. His work has been seen on album covers, posters, in the Disney catalogue, in the form of tiki mugs, and on the screen. He has been a past contributor to Tiki Taix, Tiki Oasis, and the Tiki Luau Night at the Egyptian Movie Palace. Tonight as well taking a look at some of his earlier work, we will see his latest work created in June 2006 for the upcoming Tiki Luau Night at the Egyptian in Hollywood on July 23rd.

PLUS

The most expensive Mai Tai party in history! The video shown at Tiki Taix is brand new, shot in London at a popular lounge called Trailer Happiness. 8 Mai Tais, each worth an estimated $1,750 totalling $14,000. Come and find out what these lucky slobs had in common with Trader Vic Bergeron.

AND

Princess Kukulele has arrived on the continent. As of June 22nd she has been enjoying the hospitality of California's sun and sand. She will be 8 days old when her papa King Kukulele first performs his Lullabye song to an audience on the mainland at Tiki Taix. This song was created for the little one and sung at the London Luau on June 11th. We'll have pictures of the baby and her very own song featuring Rikki Kon Tiki playing a beautifully intricate African rhythm!

Join us for this one night only event. We'll be at Tiki Taix 1911 Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park, Los Angeles 90026 One block north of the lagoon.

A
Al-ii posted on Wed, Jun 28, 2006 7:06 AM

Kate and I are in
Mahalo,
Al

I think I'll be there this time...

I am so there! Wanna see pics of the baby! And that old footage I shot of Domenic at the Tikis! And hear all about the Europe Tour! And see Kevin's stuff! And enjoy the last Tiki event before I go off to work to Berlin...

Can't make it but a giant congrats on the kid. I find the way you deal with children to be awe inspiring.

I'm in, what do you say we meet at Tiki Ti before at say 7 or 8 pm?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

A
Al-ii posted on Thu, Jun 29, 2006 5:07 PM

Jeff I can't make it till later, I'll call you Fri
Al

I'll hang at Tiki Ti till about 9:50 then jam over to Taix.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey King...Isn't this the last Friday of the month coming up? Do you have another entertaining FREE show lined up for all of us? (For those who haven't been to see King Kukulele's shows at Taix on Sunset Blvd, it's definitely worth the late Friday night!!!)

Pages: 1 8 replies